nombas SDK

sunitha krishna

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this question, but, I would
gladly take any suggestions on where else I can post this.
I was wondering if anyone had used Nombas Script Ease product before ?
We have been using the Nombas Script Ease SDK as the Java script
engine for our C based application for abt 4 years now, but recently
we realized that Nombas has been bought over by Open Wave and there is
no longer any support for Nombas customers. I am looking to see if
there are other former Nombas customers in a similar situation and
what they have done.
Also, I would like to know if there are any other C-based Java script
interpreters that can run on Solaris.

thanks in advance,
SK

brent.noorda

I regret mis-managing the sale to Openwave so poorly that we
eventually lost the ability to license to or continue to support the
ScriptEase Ecmascript engine for independent 3rd parties. Sorry about
that. You should still have the Nombas SE source code, since we
always licensed the software with full source code, and so if there's
a problem with it you can fix that yourself (or let me know if you
have any very very simple questions).

If you need (1) pure C (not C++) and (2) it must adhere to Ecmascript
standards, then I am not aware of another option--maybe there are
others, I just don't remember hearing of them. If C++ is OK (not pure
C)then the Mozilla Spidermonkey engine should still be available even
as it is expected to be replaced by the engine from Adobe/Macromedia.
If I were looking for an independent Ecmascript engine I'd start with
those because (I've heard) they're open sourced and freely available.
(Has anyone wrapped Nombas' SE API around either of those engines?)

If you just need an embeddable script language and it doesn't have to
be Ecmascript then I've heard that lua (see www.lua.org) is an
excellent embedded choice.

- Brent Noorda
was Nombas Founder