Non editable text box

laura

Can anyone help me to decide the best way to do this please.

I'm writing an intranet and I need to put something like a non-editable
scrolling text box on the home page where daily announcements can be placed.
I've tried adding a scrolling text box, but I am not sure how to make it
non-editable. Is there any way I can fill the textbox using something like
textstream? I would imagine one person in the organisation would be in
charge of adding this text somehow. I'm a bit lost in trying to find the
best method.

Thanks
Laura TD

Evertjan.

laura wrote on 19 apr 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I'm writing an intranet and I need to put something like a
non-editable scrolling text box on the home page where daily
announcements can be placed. I've tried adding a scrolling text box,
but I am not sure how to make it non-editable. Is there any way I can
fill the textbox using something like textstream? I would imagine one
person in the organisation would be in charge of adding this text
somehow. I'm a bit lost in trying to find the best method.

This is not a n serverside asp question, asp has no textboxes,
so please follow up on a clientside code NG.

I think you want HTML:

<iframe src='...' style='width:500px;height:500px;'></iframe>

laura

Thanks for your input, I am working in ASP and thinking that I might find
that the object TextStream might do what I need to do, but not sure how to
put this on my ASP/HTML page. I was looking for ASP suggestions, if
possible... I would be most grateful.

Laura TD

Roland Hall

: Thanks for your input, I am working in ASP and thinking that I might find
: that the object TextStream might do what I need to do, but not sure how to
: put this on my ASP/HTML page. I was looking for ASP suggestions, if
: possible... I would be most grateful.

Nope. ASP can send output to the client but the client determines how it's
rendered based on client-side code.

Ex.

Response.Write "some text..."

ASP sent it to the client and the client displayed: some text...

If you then want the background-color to be light blue, you can do this:

Response.Write "<span style=""background-color: #eef"">some text...</span>"

Response.Write sent the string to the client but the browser rendered the
client-side inline CSS style and changed the background-color between the
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Textstream is used with the file system object to read/write to text files.
It's probably not what you're looking for.
If you have standardized on IE, then this will work.
http://kiddanger.com/lab/marquee1.html

If not, then you'll need to follow up in a javascript/dhtml NG.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

laura

Thanks, I don't want scrolling text so will have to rethink this. I could
allow the person in charge of the Notices to update a text file from which I
could then use TextStream to output this to the web page. It doesn't seem
very slick though. An uneditable scrolling text box on the HTML page would
be ideal, if it were possible.

Thanks for your help
Laura TD

Roland Hall

: Thanks, I don't want scrolling text so will have to rethink this. I could
: allow the person in charge of the Notices to update a text file from which
: could then use TextStream to output this to the web page. It doesn't seem
: very slick though. An uneditable scrolling text box on the HTML page would
: be ideal, if it were possible.

Laura...

A marquee is a non-editable scrolling text box. If you're referring to
scrollable, then that's on-demand scrolling with scrollbars.

That would be something like this:
http://kiddanger.com/lab/fsoscrollable.asp

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

laura

oops.. sorry.. I meant that I did not want the marquee effect of 'scrolling'
text.. my mistake. I do want my users to be able to scroll up and down, (not
sideways) in a scrollable text box (with scrollbar). I want to feed the box
with non-editable data, probably from a text file or some other way that is
easy for one person to update on a daily basis. I had thought of them
creating a text file and then the ASP textstream reading it into the text
box.

Laura

Bob Barrows [MVP]

laura said:
oops.. sorry.. I meant that I did not want the marquee effect of
'scrolling' text.. my mistake. I do want my users to be able to
scroll up and down, (not sideways) in a scrollable text box (with
scrollbar). I want to feed the box with non-editable data, probably
from a text file or some other way that is easy for one person to
update on a daily basis. I had thought of them creating a text file
and then the ASP textstream reading it into the text box.

So what do you need help with? Opening the text file with a textstream
object? Do a search at www.aspfaq.com for examples. Search for
FileSystemObject.

Bob Barrows

Jeff Cochran

oops.. sorry.. I meant that I did not want the marquee effect of 'scrolling'
text.. my mistake. I do want my users to be able to scroll up and down, (not
sideways) in a scrollable text box (with scrollbar). I want to feed the box
with non-editable data, probably from a text file or some other way that is
easy for one person to update on a daily basis. I had thought of them
creating a text file and then the ASP textstream reading it into the text
box.

I think you still want an iframe. See:

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/frames/_IFRAME.html
http://www.codeave.com/html/code.asp?u_log=5048
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html

By the way, it's the first three links when Googling "HTML iframe".
And it's still client side code.

Jeff

laura

Thank you everyone for help with this - I am in the middle of trying to work
out various other things in ASP at the same time and am getting a little
punch-drunk. I think that I am going to be able to use either DIV or the
example at http://kiddanger.com/lab/fsoscrollable.asp after all. It seems to
be just what I want, just have to learn how to modify it and import the text
I need. Once again thanks and sorry for being slightly dim.. it's all new to
me and can get confusing.

Laura TD

Roland Hall

: Laura,
:
: Use this little guy
:
: http://www.pikeus.freeserve.co.uk/applets/scrollitup/scrollitup.html

She wanted scrollable, not scrolling. She didn't understand there was a
difference.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Roland Hall

in message : Thank you everyone for help with this - I am in the middle of trying to
work
: out various other things in ASP at the same time and am getting a little
: punch-drunk. I think that I am going to be able to use either DIV or the
: example at http://kiddanger.com/lab/fsoscrollable.asp after all. It seems
: be just what I want, just have to learn how to modify it and import the
text
: I need. Once again thanks and sorry for being slightly dim.. it's all new
: me and can get confusing.

Laura...

All of this was new to each of us at one time and some things are still new,
except to Bob, but he's quite old. (O:=

Just start a new thread for new questions and someone will help you. If you
need to make modifications to my example, just ask for the help you need and
again, someone will be able to help you. If you didn't notice the "view
source" on my example, it's at the bottom left.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

laura

well... I did understand the difference.. just a poor choice of words..
:( sorry.... and thanks again.

Laura

Roland Hall

: well... I did understand the difference.. just a poor choice of words..
::( sorry.... and thanks again.

No problem. My mistake.