    best method.

    Thanks
    Laura TD
    laura, Apr 19, 2005

  2. laura

    Evertjan. Guest

    laura wrote on 19 apr 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    > I'm writing an intranet and I need to put something like a
    > non-editable scrolling text box on the home page where daily
    > announcements can be placed. I've tried adding a scrolling text box,
    > but I am not sure how to make it non-editable. Is there any way I can
    > fill the textbox using something like textstream? I would imagine one
    > person in the organisation would be in charge of adding this text
    > somehow. I'm a bit lost in trying to find the best method.

    This is not a n serverside asp question, asp has no textboxes,
    so please follow up on a clientside code NG.

    I think you want HTML:

    <iframe src='...' style='width:500px;height:500px;'></iframe>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Apr 19, 2005

  3. laura

    laura Guest

    Thanks for your input, I am working in ASP and thinking that I might find
    that the object TextStream might do what I need to do, but not sure how to
    put this on my ASP/HTML page. I was looking for ASP suggestions, if
    possible... I would be most grateful.

    Laura TD

    laura, Apr 19, 2005
  4. laura

    Roland Hall Guest

    "laura" <> wrote in message
    : Thanks for your input, I am working in ASP and thinking that I might find
    : that the object TextStream might do what I need to do, but not sure how to
    : put this on my ASP/HTML page. I was looking for ASP suggestions, if
    : possible... I would be most grateful.

    Nope. ASP can send output to the client but the client determines how it's
    rendered based on client-side code.

    Ex.

    Response.Write "some text..."

    ASP sent it to the client and the client displayed: some text...

    If you then want the background-color to be light blue, you can do this:

    Response.Write "<span style=""background-color: #eef"">some text...</span>"

    Response.Write sent the string to the client but the browser rendered the
    client-side inline CSS style and changed the background-color between the
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

    Textstream is used with the file system object to read/write to text files.
    It's probably not what you're looking for.
    If you have standardized on IE, then this will work.
    http://kiddanger.com/lab/marquee1.html

    If not, then you'll need to follow up in a javascript/dhtml NG.

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Apr 19, 2005
  5. laura

    laura Guest

    Thanks, I don't want scrolling text so will have to rethink this. I could
    allow the person in charge of the Notices to update a text file from which I
    could then use TextStream to output this to the web page. It doesn't seem
    very slick though. An uneditable scrolling text box on the HTML page would
    be ideal, if it were possible.

    Thanks for your help
    Laura TD

    laura, Apr 19, 2005
  6. laura

    Roland Hall Guest

    "laura" <> wrote in message
    : Thanks, I don't want scrolling text so will have to rethink this. I could
    : allow the person in charge of the Notices to update a text file from which
    : could then use TextStream to output this to the web page. It doesn't seem
    : very slick though. An uneditable scrolling text box on the HTML page would
    : be ideal, if it were possible.

    Laura...

    A marquee is a non-editable scrolling text box. If you're referring to
    scrollable, then that's on-demand scrolling with scrollbars.

    That would be something like this:
    http://kiddanger.com/lab/fsoscrollable.asp

    Roland Hall, Apr 19, 2005
  7. laura

    laura Guest

    oops.. sorry.. I meant that I did not want the marquee effect of 'scrolling'
    text.. my mistake. I do want my users to be able to scroll up and down, (not
    sideways) in a scrollable text box (with scrollbar). I want to feed the box
    with non-editable data, probably from a text file or some other way that is
    easy for one person to update on a daily basis. I had thought of them
    creating a text file and then the ASP textstream reading it into the text
    box.

    Laura

    laura, Apr 19, 2005
  8. laura wrote:
    > oops.. sorry.. I meant that I did not want the marquee effect of
    > 'scrolling' text.. my mistake. I do want my users to be able to
    > scroll up and down, (not sideways) in a scrollable text box (with
    > scrollbar). I want to feed the box with non-editable data, probably
    > from a text file or some other way that is easy for one person to
    > update on a daily basis. I had thought of them creating a text file
    > and then the ASP textstream reading it into the text box.

    So what do you need help with? Opening the text file with a textstream
    object? Do a search at www.aspfaq.com for examples. Search for
    FileSystemObject.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 19, 2005
  9. laura

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:28:51 +0100, "laura" <> wrote:

    >oops.. sorry.. I meant that I did not want the marquee effect of 'scrolling'
    >text.. my mistake. I do want my users to be able to scroll up and down, (not
    >sideways) in a scrollable text box (with scrollbar). I want to feed the box
    >with non-editable data, probably from a text file or some other way that is
    >easy for one person to update on a daily basis. I had thought of them
    >creating a text file and then the ASP textstream reading it into the text
    >box.

    I think you still want an iframe. See:

    http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/frames/_IFRAME.html
    http://www.codeave.com/html/code.asp?u_log=5048
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html

    By the way, it's the first three links when Googling "HTML iframe".
    And it's still client side code.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Apr 19, 2005
  10. laura

    laura Guest

    Thank you everyone for help with this - I am in the middle of trying to work
    out various other things in ASP at the same time and am getting a little
    punch-drunk. I think that I am going to be able to use either DIV or the
    example at http://kiddanger.com/lab/fsoscrollable.asp after all. It seems to
    be just what I want, just have to learn how to modify it and import the text
    I need. Once again thanks and sorry for being slightly dim.. it's all new to
    me and can get confusing.

    Laura TD

    laura, Apr 19, 2005
  11. laura

    dlbjr Guest

    dlbjr, Apr 19, 2005
  12. laura

    Roland Hall Guest

    "dlbjr" <> wrote in message
    : Laura,
    :
    : Use this little guy
    :
    : http://www.pikeus.freeserve.co.uk/applets/scrollitup/scrollitup.html

    She wanted scrollable, not scrolling. She didn't understand there was a
    difference.

    Roland Hall, Apr 19, 2005
  13. laura

    Roland Hall Guest

    "laura" wrote in message news:...
    : Thank you everyone for help with this - I am in the middle of trying to
    work
    : out various other things in ASP at the same time and am getting a little
    : punch-drunk. I think that I am going to be able to use either DIV or the
    : example at http://kiddanger.com/lab/fsoscrollable.asp after all. It seems
    : be just what I want, just have to learn how to modify it and import the
    text
    : I need. Once again thanks and sorry for being slightly dim.. it's all new
    : me and can get confusing.

    Laura...

    All of this was new to each of us at one time and some things are still new,
    except to Bob, but he's quite old. (O:=

    Just start a new thread for new questions and someone will help you. If you
    need to make modifications to my example, just ask for the help you need and
    again, someone will be able to help you. If you didn't notice the "view
    source" on my example, it's at the bottom left.

    Roland Hall, Apr 19, 2005
  14. laura

    laura Guest

    well... I did understand the difference.. just a poor choice of words..
    :( sorry.... and thanks again.

    Laura

    laura, Apr 20, 2005
  15. laura

    Roland Hall Guest

    "laura" <> wrote in message
    : well... I did understand the difference.. just a poor choice of words..
    ::( sorry.... and thanks again.

    No problem. My mistake.

    Roland Hall, Apr 20, 2005