    Will anyone please direct me to some solid samples of non-ui samples
    implementations of the MVC design pattern in C++. TIA

    Tim

    Tim Smith, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Tim Smith

    Phlip Guest

    Phlip, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Why do you want MVC for non-ui?
    MVC is Model View Controller, V means ui.

    "Tim Smith" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:kk54d.82726$MQ5.70941@attbi_s52 ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    Andrew Au \(Newsgroup\), Sep 22, 2004
  4. Tim Smith

    Phlip Guest

    Andrew Au (Newsgroup) wrote:

    > Why do you want MVC for non-ui?
    > MVC is Model View Controller, V means ui.

    A "Representation Layer" is a layer that converts one data format to
    another, possibly including its event driving paradigm. So if some other
    module "views" the view, then MVC could be a fat Representation Layer.

    (I, too, can't think of a reason to do this. But it can be done!)

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Tim Smith

    Tim Smith Guest

    V does not mean UI it means view, a mode or manner of looking at or
    regarding something. I am looking for direction on how to decouple the way
    data is presented from they way the data is stored. MVC is typically used
    in UI contexts, but IMHO its not and exclusive UI pattern.

    Tim Smith, Sep 22, 2004
  6. "Tim Smith" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:lL54d.231248$Fg5.154304@attbi_s53 ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > V does not mean UI it means view, a mode or manner of looking at or
    > regarding something. I am looking for direction on how to decouple the

    way
    > data is presented from they way the data is stored. MVC is typically used
    > in UI contexts, but IMHO its not and exclusive UI pattern.
    >
    > "Andrew Au (Newsgroup)" <> wrote in message
    > > Why do you want MVC for non-ui?
    > > MVC is Model View Controller, V means ui.
    > >
    > > "Tim Smith" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    > > news:kk54d.82726$MQ5.70941@attbi_s52 ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > > > Dear All:
    > > >
    > > > Will anyone please direct me to some solid samples of non-ui samples
    > > > implementations of the MVC design pattern in C++. TIA
    > > >
    > > > Tim

    Thanks for clarification. I knew V stands for view. Just somehow "view" is
    too close to "UI" and is actually often interpreted as UI, therefore I make
    such a claim. If view is after all another representation, then I personally
    believe the MVC pattern do not help much if your purpose is to isolate data
    storage from data presentation. You may want to look at something such as
    Builder/Memento to separate the storage of data from the presentation of the
    data. For example, you might want to have a Parser/Write (i.e. A builder) to
    parse/write a XML file and represent the data as plain C++ object.

    Andrew Au \(Newsgroup\), Sep 22, 2004
  7. Tim Smith

    Tim Smith Guest

    The intent is to have a rather thin View that could be nested (MVCs on
    MVCs). That is, the View is the Model of the next. Essentially, I am trying
    to decouple along three different aspects. HTH

    Tim Smith, Sep 22, 2004
  8. Tim Smith

    Tim Smith Guest

    Now the Observer is an enhancement to the MVC in that the views subscribe to
    the controller?

    (Sorry, fat fingered the post, didn't mean to reply to you!)

    Tim Smith, Sep 22, 2004