non-standard characters

thedarkman

Hi,

does anyone know how to code a musical flat sign? I could use an
italicised b but figured there must be one. Also, the stressed W as in
Owain Glyndŵr. Finally, does anyone know what the extended F - ASC 159
is called?

Thanks

Jukka K. Korpela

thedarkman said:
does anyone know how to code a musical flat sign?

Hint: Google for
fileformat.info "flat sign"
and you'll find U+266D, representable in HTML e.g. as ♭.

Another useful approach is to start from
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/index.html#links

Usual caveats apply; see especially
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/266d/fontsupport.htm

In practice, though, if you use, say,
with the CSS rule
..special { font-family: Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode; }
then most visitors will see the flat sign. Others will see some box or
question mark.
I could use an italicised b

The flat sign resembles the letter b (and is historically based on it), but
there's nothing italics-like with it - it isn't even slanted.
Also, the stressed W as in
Owain Glyndŵr.

Hint: As a letter, it's w with circumflex.
Finally, does anyone know what the extended F - ASC 159
is called?

There is no such thing. The ASCII code range ends at 127 decimal. Always
did, and always will.

But presumably you mean the character that has code number 159 decimal in
code page 850. In Unicode, it's called "Latin small letter f with hook",
U+0192. It has a "mnemonic" name in HTML: &fnof; (but I'd rather write it as
such, in suitable encoding, or as ƒ if I even found some need to use
it).

None of these characters is non-standard; they are all defined in the
Unicode Standard and the ISO 10646 standard.

thedarkman

Thanks but I'm none the wiser, now how do I write a flat sign in a web
page, and a stressed W. If you actually know?

dorayme

Ben C said:
Well he told you, although actually there does seem to be a small error.

He suggested:

That should be ♭... You need the x because 266d is a
hexadecimal number.

And a very nice shape too:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/flatDisplay.html>

(OP should use span in his context, unlike here)

For those of you with MacIE 5 on Macs, some surprising behaviour as you
change text size in browser. All this, by the way.

thedarkman

The first one makes a square, the second gives a W but with the wrong
type of stress. Thanks anyway.

dorayme

The first one makes a square, the second gives a W but with the wrong
type of stress. Thanks anyway.

And what does the only one thing in the URL give? Roger Rabbit?

Jukka K. Korpela

thedarkman said:
The first one makes a square, the second gives a W but with the wrong
type of stress.

I actually wrote about caveats, too. But you seem to keep missing points
since you quote comprehensively instead of reading comprehensively.
Thanks anyway.

You're welcome. To get real help, you need to read the responses you get -
and to post a URL (and specify browser).

thedarkman

I'm using Internet Explorer 6; I really thought this would be simple;
if for example I want to key a stressed E in Word /I put on Numbers
lock, hold down the alt key and key in 130; isn't there something as
simple as that for a flat sign?

Thanks