Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages

Chris Zoper

Hello,

Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages. The pages are
very 'normal' pages though. There is no 'dangerous' code in it or
something like that. Also, the page is not in a pop-up. Most of my pages
work just fine, but when I navigate to a specific page, it won't open. I
don't get an exception or a warning, the page just won't finish loading.
When I disable Norton Internet Security, it works fine again.

Also when I set the page as the start-page of my ASP.NET project, the
page just won't load.

Does anyone know what can cause this problem?

Greetings,
Chris.

Curt_C [MVP]

you just said it... Norton.
Sounds like the DESKTOP version of Nortom has issues when trying to run in a
SERVER type environment.
Disable script blocking and just leave it like that.

Karl

You shoulnd't rely on UrlReferrer anyways..but yes, Norton will strip it
out.

Zone Alarm doesn't play nice with forms authentication (it'll block the
cookie, but not other ones).

Anyways, such behaviour is pretty common with software firewalls and there's
typically little that can be done (short of shutting it off)

Karl

Kevin Spencer

Just an observation: Norton is arguably the best anti-virus software on the
market (at least it is the most popular), and it sucks, in a word.
Considering how important and costly Internet security is, you would think
SOMEBODY out ther would author a non-invasive anti-virus software package.
My guess is, whoever can do so will own the market.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Ted Harper

Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages. The pages are
very 'normal' pages though. There is no 'dangerous' code in it or
something like that. Also, the page is not in a pop-up. Most of my pages
work just fine, but when I navigate to a specific page, it won't open.

We had a similar problem with NIS and our ASP.Net application.
Specifically on our General Manager's XP Pro laptop, which he uses for
product demos with the application installed locally, if NIS is
enabled, then just a _couple_ of the dynamic images (ie *.ASPX pages
outputting dynamic image/png charts) fail to load - red X in browser,
nothing logged anywhere, no exception thrown in our code. That is, two
out of about 30 of these pages (all using the same base class and
output mechanism) are blocked/broken when NIS is enabled.

I don't know if this relates to your experience at all with your
ASP.Net (presumably text/html) pages, but it is only the _largest_ two
of our dynamic charts (heights of about 7000 pixels and 20000 pixels
respectively - displayed in a scrolling DIV) which this issue happens
with, and ONLY when the app is locally hosted (ie the same build of
the code works perfectly when accessed from his laptop over our
intranet or over the net), and not reported by any of our cllients in
any of their "normal" server->client use. Perhaps NIS blocks or has
some overflow when scanning really large locally-sourced (ie
"outgoing") streams, or ones that are generated more slowly, or
something mysterious like that?

As you've described, simply disabling NIS and refreshing the page
makes it work normally, and re-enabling it and refreshing again repros
the problem 100% repeatably (but always only on the same
pages/images).

Aside from the above I can't offer any explanation at all as to why
just two pages out of our entire app would be affected by NIS (and
also why it seems only a problem with local/loopback use of the
ASP.Net app with NIS, not when the same laptop accesses the same
application on a server). We ended up simply taking the advice of
Symantec and Microsoft that NIS and IIS just don't get on (IIS is for
servers, NIS is for workstations), and our GM is now using NAV
together with the XPSP2 firewall and no problems at all.

ted.h.