Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris Zoper, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Chris Zoper

    Chris Zoper Guest

    Hello,

    Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages. The pages are
    very 'normal' pages though. There is no 'dangerous' code in it or
    something like that. Also, the page is not in a pop-up. Most of my pages
    work just fine, but when I navigate to a specific page, it won't open. I
    don't get an exception or a warning, the page just won't finish loading.
    When I disable Norton Internet Security, it works fine again.

    Also when I set the page as the start-page of my ASP.NET project, the
    page just won't load.

    Does anyone know what can cause this problem?

    Greetings,
    Chris.

    Chris Zoper, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Chris Zoper

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    you just said it... Norton.
    Sounds like the DESKTOP version of Nortom has issues when trying to run in a
    SERVER type environment.
    Disable script blocking and just leave it like that.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Sep 9, 2004

  3. Chris Zoper

    Karl Guest

    You shoulnd't rely on UrlReferrer anyways..but yes, Norton will strip it
    out.

    Zone Alarm doesn't play nice with forms authentication (it'll block the
    cookie, but not other ones).

    Anyways, such behaviour is pretty common with software firewalls and there's
    typically little that can be done (short of shutting it off)

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    "Rich G" <> wrote in message
    > We were getting similar issues from users who were using Norton Internet
    > Security or Zone Alarm.
    >
    > In our case, we had to quit using the HttpRequest.UrlReferrer property in
    > our pages. Norton and ZoneAlarm strip that out of the Request header so

    it

    Karl, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Just an observation: Norton is arguably the best anti-virus software on the
    market (at least it is the most popular), and it sucks, in a word.
    Considering how important and costly Internet security is, you would think
    SOMEBODY out ther would author a non-invasive anti-virus software package.
    My guess is, whoever can do so will own the market.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    "Karl" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME net> wrote in
    message news:...

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Chris Zoper

    Karl Guest

    Is that a business proposition ;)

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Chris Zoper

    Ted Harper Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:02:51 -0700, Chris Zoper
    <> wrote:

    >Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages. The pages are
    >very 'normal' pages though. There is no 'dangerous' code in it or
    >something like that. Also, the page is not in a pop-up. Most of my pages
    >work just fine, but when I navigate to a specific page, it won't open.

    We had a similar problem with NIS and our ASP.Net application.
    Specifically on our General Manager's XP Pro laptop, which he uses for
    product demos with the application installed locally, if NIS is
    enabled, then just a _couple_ of the dynamic images (ie *.ASPX pages
    outputting dynamic image/png charts) fail to load - red X in browser,
    nothing logged anywhere, no exception thrown in our code. That is, two
    out of about 30 of these pages (all using the same base class and
    output mechanism) are blocked/broken when NIS is enabled.

    I don't know if this relates to your experience at all with your
    ASP.Net (presumably text/html) pages, but it is only the _largest_ two
    of our dynamic charts (heights of about 7000 pixels and 20000 pixels
    respectively - displayed in a scrolling DIV) which this issue happens
    with, and ONLY when the app is locally hosted (ie the same build of
    the code works perfectly when accessed from his laptop over our
    intranet or over the net), and not reported by any of our cllients in
    any of their "normal" server->client use. Perhaps NIS blocks or has
    some overflow when scanning really large locally-sourced (ie
    "outgoing") streams, or ones that are generated more slowly, or
    something mysterious like that?

    As you've described, simply disabling NIS and refreshing the page
    makes it work normally, and re-enabling it and refreshing again repros
    the problem 100% repeatably (but always only on the same
    pages/images).

    Aside from the above I can't offer any explanation at all as to why
    just two pages out of our entire app would be affected by NIS (and
    also why it seems only a problem with local/loopback use of the
    ASP.Net app with NIS, not when the same laptop accesses the same
    application on a server). We ended up simply taking the advice of
    Symantec and Microsoft that NIS and IIS just don't get on (IIS is for
    servers, NIS is for workstations), and our GM is now using NAV
    together with the XPSP2 firewall and no problems at all.

    ted.h.
    --
    Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)
    Ted Harper, Sep 9, 2004