NotePad++ and HTML Tidy question

Dave Boland

I tried, and like NotePad++, but I don't care for the automatic fix all
HTML errors automatically. Was wondering if there is a way to configure
Tidy to display problems in a window below the file, like a C compiler,
so I can see the problems and fix them my way. My guess is that this
question actually has two parts -- Tidy, and NotePad++.

Any help appreciated.

Dave,

Nik Coughlin

Dave Boland said:
I tried, and like NotePad++, but I don't care for the automatic fix all
HTML errors automatically. Was wondering if there is a way to configure
Tidy to display problems in a window below the file, like a C compiler, so
I can see the problems and fix them my way. My guess is that this question
actually has two parts -- Tidy, and NotePad++.

Any help appreciated.

Not as such. You know that you can edit the tidy.cfg to change the
automatic fixing to be more to your liking?

Otherwise you could make a copy of your HTML file, and run Tidy on it, then
use the Compare plugin in Notepad++ to see the differences, not quite the
same as a list of errors but might still serve your purposes. It's been
removed from the current version I think but you can still install it:

http://www.davidtan.org/how-to-get-compare-plugin-back-into-notepad/

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Dave Boland <dboland9
@fastmail.fm> writing in
I tried, and like NotePad++, but I don't care for the automatic fix all
HTML errors automatically. Was wondering if there is a way to configure
Tidy to display problems in a window below the file, like a C compiler,
so I can see the problems and fix them my way. My guess is that this
question actually has two parts -- Tidy, and NotePad++.

Any help appreciated.

Dave,

I don't know about Notepad++, but I do know that you can do what you
want with HTML-Kit. It gives you the option of fixing things yourself,
or letting you do it in one swipe.

Build 292 gives you a window below that shows the Tidy messages, and a
split view showing your actual content on one side, and what Tidy
suggests on the other. Build 300 does it a little differently.

Build 292 is free, build 300 is not, but it's a better program - code
folding, highlighting brackets, etc. I really like it.
[http://chami.com/html-kit/]

Jukka K. Korpela

Dave said:
I tried, and like NotePad++, but I don't care for the automatic fix
all HTML errors automatically.

What automatic fix? I have never seen NotePad++ fix HTML errors. It
color-codes constructs, so that if you mistakenly type <titel>, it won't
make it blue (in HTML mode), which is a useful indication - but it won't fix
it to said:
Was wondering if there is a way to
configure Tidy to display problems in a window below the file, like a
C compiler, so I can see the problems and fix them my way.

I've never seen a C compiler do such things, but then again, I'm of the old
school that uses a text editor to edit programs and good old line-oriented
compilers to compile them.

Anyway, Tidy is overrated and tends to do odd things. I'm not particularly
enthusiastic about a program that plays dirty tricks on my code (whether
that code is "correct" by someone's criteria or not) by default and has
awkward tools for overriding those defaults.
My guess
is that this question actually has two parts -- Tidy, and NotePad++.

I don't even see how the two are related.

Dave Boland

Nik said:
Not as such. You know that you can edit the tidy.cfg to change the
automatic fixing to be more to your liking?

Yes, I know that I can, but I only have a vague idea how to do it, and I
see no way to open an other window with the reported errors. I guess I
was hoping someone more in the know had done that and could quickly
explain what I needed to do both in the tidy.cfg file, and anywhere else.

By the way, The NotePad++ that I downloaded last week actually fixes all
of the HTML errors as soon as Tidy is run. I intentionally put in some
errors such as misspelled tags and no closing tags. Ran Tidy and they
were all fixed -- without any notice of what the problems were or where
they were. Kind of reminded me of Microsoft's VB6's helpfulness, which
was more in the way than helpful. That is why I like the window at the
bottom with the listing of warnings, errors, etc. A little old
fashioned I guess, but...

Any way, thanks to everyone that responded!

Dave,

SAZ

I tried, and like NotePad++, but I don't care for the automatic fix all
HTML errors automatically. Was wondering if there is a way to configure
Tidy to display problems in a window below the file, like a C compiler,
so I can see the problems and fix them my way. My guess is that this
question actually has two parts -- Tidy, and NotePad++.

Any help appreciated.

Dave,
Tidy is helpful, but flawed. It catches about 99% of the errors, but it
frequently comes up with warnings that the developer thinks should be
errors and are better left ignored. You're better off using the W3C
online checker, it lets you know what the problems are before they are
fixed.

As Adrienne mentioned, HTML-Kit along with Tidy gives you a split screen
preview that allows you decide what you want fixed.