NTP client

Gunter Herrmann

Hi!
Does anyone know of a really good implementation of an NTP client in Java?

Why not run a client on the OS?
Works perfectly for me on Windows XP and Linux.

Gunter in Orlando, Fl.

Roedy Green

Gunter Herrmann

Hi!

Roedy said:
in windows you spawn
w32tm.exe /resync

In a corporate network you should have (at least) 2 servers that run
ntpd getting the time signals from multiple outside sources.
You should ask for permission to use these sources.
Then close the ntp port in the firewall for everyone except these
servers. All your other systems should get the time from your own
time servers.

On Unix/Linux boxes install ntpd and have it point to your
corporate time servers.

Sync your Windows domain controllers with your corporate ntp
servers, all computers in the domain will get their time from there.

Your windows systems that are not part of a domain should get their
time from your ntp servers.

To automate this I use a batch file to set/change the registry entries.

Here the content:

w32tm /register
w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"Your corporate servers"
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters /v "Period" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config /v "MaxNegPhaseCorrection" /t REG_DWORD /d 4294967295 /f
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config /v "MaxPosPhaseCorrection" /t REG_DWORD /d 4294967295 /f

Setting the maximum correction to infinity makes sure that a
system with a bad CMOS battery is still synced.

Regards

Gunter