    there a version that will?

    Tia,

    Tim
    Tim Rowe, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Tim Rowe wrote:

    > Does numarray-0.5.win32-py2.2.exe work with Python 2.3? If not, is
    > there a version that will?
    >
    > Tia,
    >
    > Tim

    No, not the last time I tried. It seems that Python 2.3 looks for a
    different .dll structure than python 2.2.

    Below is an extract from a recent posting by Perry Greefield to the
    PySci list which sets out current development intentions for
    numarray.

    I have copied your question, with this response, to Perry Greenfield.

    Colin W.

    From: "Perry Greenfield" <>
    Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:45:52 -0400
    [Eric Jones]

    >> Numarray will be the successor to Numeric. I talked with Perry
    >> Greenfield from STSci at OSCON last week. STSci is developing
    >> numarray.
    >>
    >> He said that pretty much the only things left before numarray is a
    >> "feature complete" replacement for Numeric are PyObject array support
    >> and Paul Dubois Masked Array (MA) classes. He wants a full
    >> replacement before releasing 1.0.
    >>
    >> I'll let him pronounce the official release dates, but it is
    >> not so far off.

    No dates fixed in stone, but here is the basic plan

    0.6 to be released this week, this reorganizes numarray as a package

    0.7 (few weeks?) Will include PyObject support

    0.8 (2 months?) Will include MA support. At this point we hope to
    replicate all Numeric functionality (other than the planned changes).

    v1.0 will come out when 0.8 has been tested by users for a little while
    (with perhaps a 0.9 if many changes and fixes are needed)

    [Eric Jones]
    >> Numarray and Numeric will co-exist for a long while. Numarray is new
    >> and therefore less well tested. It also has slower performance for
    >> small arrays by about a factor of 3, but is faster for large arrays.
    >> There are also many packages that rely on Numeric out in the wild,

    There may be some rough corners where performance of numarray needs
    optimization that haven't yet been handled (e.g. printing? slicing?)

    Perry Greenfield
    Colin J. Williams, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Tim Rowe

    Tim Rowe Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:31:53 -0400, "Colin J. Williams"
    <> wrote:

    >No, not the last time I tried. It seems that Python 2.3 looks for a
    >different .dll structure than python 2.2.

    Thanks. I don't need it just at the moment, but I was planning to
    learn it during quiet moments. I can wait.
    Tim Rowe, Jul 16, 2003