Number 3 [was: Nested list]

Luigi Donatello Asero

About the number 3.
If your question is why I have not put the table of contents on the first
place, well, let´s say that I see advantages in both alternatives.
Option 1:
The introduction helps the reader know what the page is about immediately
after the first heading.
If the table of contents had been on the first place the reader had not had
this chance because it is very long.
Option 2:
Table of contents on the first place:
the advantage is that the reader does not come back to the introduction.
Is it more clear now?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi said:
What did you exactly not understand?

"Besides, the menu is displayed after the list of contents which is the
opposite in respect to the order I have written them in the source.
This implies that I have to assign the number 3 to the Menu."

Now, Luigi, I realize English is not your first language, but I don't
expect you to use Babelfish to compose your posts.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
"Besides, the menu is displayed after the list of contents which is the
opposite in respect to the order I have written them in the source.
This implies that I have to assign the number 3 to the Menu."

Now, Luigi, I realize English is not your first language, but I don't
expect you to use Babelfish to compose your posts.

I did not use Babelfish .......
The source is the html code.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:

It is called "source" if you use IE for example you have a link in the menu
under "View" and when you follow the link you open the page with the html
code.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet

It is called "source" if you use IE for example you have a link in the menu
under "View" and when you follow the link you open the page with the html
code.

If you go through the code you will find out that I wrote the menu before
the table of contents
(or as I like calling it "list of contents") while if you browse the same
page you will see that the html code combined with the effect of the
external style sheet is implemented by the browser in such a way that the
menu is displayed after the nested lists (table of contents).

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi said:
If you go through the code you will find out that I wrote the menu
before the table of contents (or as I like calling it "list of
contents") while if you browse the same page you will see that the
html code combined with the effect of the external style sheet is
implemented by the browser in such a way that the menu is displayed
after the nested lists (table of contents).

<sigh>

Luigi, you wrote all that as if you think I don't know how to read the
source of a web page.

If you mean:
<h2><a id="tasti-navigazione">3. Tasti per la navigazione</a></h2>
your explanation still does not explain "This implies that I have to
assign the number 3 to the Menu."

Another question: why are there two section 8's?

8. Frequenza dei nomi e cognomi in Svezia
8. La divisione amministrativa del territorio svedese

Another question: why are the headings for these various sections
different font sizes?

Another question: why is the section "Le feste in Svezia" (and all those
after it) NOT numbered?

I could go on...

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
<sigh>

Luigi, you wrote all that as if you think I don't know how to read the
source of a web page.

If you mean:
<h2><a id="tasti-navigazione">3. Tasti per la navigazione</a></h2>
your explanation still does not explain "This implies that I have to
assign the number 3 to the Menu."

Another question: why are there two section 8's?

8. Frequenza dei nomi e cognomi in Svezia
8. La divisione amministrativa del territorio svedese

Another question: why are the headings for these various sections
different font sizes?

Another question: why is the section "Le feste in Svezia" (and all those
after it) NOT numbered?

I could go on...

Answer to all of your questions except the first one:
1) because they have not been updated yet.

Answer to the first question:
1) Introduzione
2) Sommario
3) Menu
according to the way they are displayed

1)Introduzione
2)Menu
3)Sommario
(according to the the way I had written them in the source)
The main heading is excluded because it is used as "title"
of the table of contents.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
..which has always been "Why are your pages so convoluted?"

As that was your own opinion, you might want to answer yourself.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
As that was your own opinion, you might want to answer yourself.

Luigi, many people in their freedom would shoot themselves before
putting so much on one page... Why not just for once to see how
good it feels, make an index page with almost nothing on it but a
short sentence about your business and a small menu of the main
pages of your website. Then some pages to correspond to the main
links, also with as little as possible and so on down. Just as an
extreme exercise. Then find a balance. You come from a nation
that conquered the Greeks. Learn about Aristotle and his Doctrine
of the Mean

Leonard Blaisdell

dorayme said:
You come from a nation
that conquered the Greeks. Learn about Aristotle and his Doctrine
of the Mean

You and I suspect that he comes from a nation of zeroes and ones ;-)

leo

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Luigi, many people in their freedom would shoot themselves before
putting so much on one page... Why not just for once to see how
good it feels, make an index page with almost nothing on it but a
short sentence about your business and a small menu of the main
pages of your website. Then some pages to correspond to the main
links, also with as little as possible and so on down. Just as an
extreme exercise. Then find a balance. You come from a nation
that conquered the Greeks. Learn about Aristotle and his Doctrine
of the Mean

There is already a small menu for the Swedish language, one for the Italian
language, one for the German languages which are going to be updated....
On the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
it is the menu on the left which is linked to the table of contents by
"Tasti per la navigazione"
There is already a site map for the main pages in Swedish
For reference see
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sitemap.php
There is also a local search engine.
As to Greeks what about
Pythagoras of Samos?
http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Pythagoras.html
There is even an introduction of myself and my own one-man business in
Swedish
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.php
Italian
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/benvenuti.php
German
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/de/willkommen.php
and so on.
There are also several index.php pages
because there are directories which are very deep...

mbstevens

[...]

Look, we can't supply you with a map of how to do your classifications,
because only you know exactly what you want to emphasize.

But there are few who will enjoy your site as it is.

Break it down into simpler elements, moving less important stuff
(whatever you choose) to other pages. The thing is just a mess
as it is.

What? You think you're Fellini directing the Satyricon?
It's a web site, for goodness sake. Get a grip. There are
limits to surrealism.