Numeric CSS class - Firefox complains but Opera OK

john

For the record (in case anyone in future hits the same problem):

Firefox (1.5.0.4) raised an error on a page in my frameset:
"Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector."

I could find no relevant documentation or newsgroup comment on this
error, and the line-number specified as causing the problem was about
10 more than the last line on the page.

Only some miserable trial-and-error eventually identified the problem -
a CSS class named ".800" defined within the page. The problem - having
a leading numeral - is so very easily solved once identified.

Interestingly, Opera (8,54 Build 7730) had no problems with it.

John Geddes
England

Jonathan N. Little

For the record (in case anyone in future hits the same problem):

Firefox (1.5.0.4) raised an error on a page in my frameset:
"Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector."

I could find no relevant documentation or newsgroup comment on this
error, and the line-number specified as causing the problem was about
10 more than the last line on the page.

Only some miserable trial-and-error eventually identified the problem -
a CSS class named ".800" defined within the page. The problem - having
a leading numeral - is so very easily solved once identified.

Interestingly, Opera (8,54 Build 7730) had no problems with it.

See the spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6

...."they cannot start with a digit."

A class name '800' is not valid.