"object view"

Discussion in 'Java' started by Matko Klaiæ, Oct 27, 2010.

  1. Matko Klaiæ

    Matko Klaiæ Guest

    Matko Klaiæ, Oct 27, 2010

  2. Matko Klaiæ

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Matko Klai? wrote:

    > what is ment by "object view" in Java terminology? (refering to:
    > "Coarse-grained business objects that represent an object view of
    > persistent storage and are shared by multiple users are usually
    > implemented as entity beans.",

    It means "not using JDBC directly".

    tom

    --
    The Gospel is enlightened in interesting ways by reading Beowulf and The
    Hobbit while listening to Radiohead's Hail to the Thief. To kill a dragon
    Tom Anderson, Oct 27, 2010

  3. Matko Klaiæ

    Matko Klaic Guest

    "Tom Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Matko Klai? wrote:
    >
    >> what is ment by "object view" in Java terminology? (refering to:
    >> "Coarse-grained business objects that represent an object view of
    >> persistent storage and are shared by multiple users are usually
    >> implemented as entity beans.",

    > It means "not using JDBC directly".
    >
    > tom
    >
    > --
    > The Gospel is enlightened in interesting ways by reading Beowulf and The
    > Hobbit while listening to Radiohead's Hail to the Thief. To kill a dragon
    > (i.e. Serpent, Smaug, Wolf at the Door) you need 12 (disciples/dwarves)
    > plus one thief (burglar, Hail to the Thief/King/thief in the night),
    > making Christ/Bilbo the 13th Thief. -- Remy Wilkins

    Tnx a lot Tom!

    Matko Klaic
    Matko Klaic, Oct 27, 2010
  4. Matko Klaiæ

    Lew Guest

    Matko Klai wrote:
    > what is ment by "object view" in Java terminology? (refering to:
    > "Coarse-grained business objects that represent an object view of persistent
    > storage and are shared by multiple users are usually implemented as entity
    > beans.",
    > http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/Patterns/SessionFacade.html)

    It means viewing, or relating to, the entities in your application as objects.

    Databases (well, relational ones anyway) have a table view of entities, or
    alternatively a set view. Sets and objects are not the same kind of view.
    The purpose of an object-relational mapping (ORM) layer is to reconcile those
    two views.

    No one uses entity beans any more. Use the Java Persistence API (JPA).

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 27, 2010
  5. On 27.10.2010 14:57, Lew wrote:
    > No one uses entity beans any more. Use the Java Persistence API (JPA).

    I was in that delusion that JPA entity beans are entity beans nowadays.

    --

    You have been selected for a secret mission.
    Donkey Hottie, Oct 27, 2010
  6. Matko Klaiæ

    Lew Guest

    On Oct 27, 3:07 pm, Donkey Hottie <> wrote:
    > On 27.10.2010 14:57, Lew wrote:
    >
    > > No one uses entity beans any more.  Use the Java Persistence API (JPA).

    > I was in that delusion that JPA entity beans are entity beans nowadays.

    <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javaee/jpa-137156.html>
    takes pains to say "EJB 2.1 entity beans" vs. "EJB 3.0 entities", and,
    "Note that in the Java Persistence API, what used to be called entity
    beans are now simply called entities."

    <http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/v1r1m0/topic/
    com.ibm.iea.wasfpejb/wasfpejb/6.1/EJB3Applications/
    WASv61_EJB3FP_JPAExamples/player.html> says, "... unlike an EJB 2.1
    entity bean, a JPA entity is a concrete, not abstract, class."

    Anyway, I meant "entity bean" in the old, EJB 2.1 sense, not the new,
    POJO sense.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 27, 2010