ODBC has error but no error message displayed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Robert Brown, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Robert Brown

    Robert Brown Guest

    Hi All..

    This is a strange one that I hope someone has come across.

    I have an asp.net application that needs to access a flat file databse
    via ODBC.

    I have setup the OBDC DSN and tested it via EXCEL. It works perfect. I
    have setup a Windows 2000 server with the application and DSn and it
    works perfect.

    The problem is if I try and run the same scenario under Windows XP,
    EXCEL can get to the ODBC datasource without a problem, but when you
    call up the ASP.NET application, the system plays the CHIME sound and
    the web page goes into limbo.

    Here is some code. I have tracked it down to the line in code
    "myodbc.open()":

    DIM ODBCConn As String = "DSN=MOB;"
    Dim myodbc As OdbcConnection = New OdbcConnection(ODBCConn)
    myodbc.open() <---- here
    Dim myobSC As odbcCommand = New odbcCommand(myobSQL, myODBC)
    Dim myobDR As odbcDataReader =
    myobSC.ExecuteReaderCommandBehavior.CloseConnection)

    As mentioned it works on all test beds except XP, and yes I have
    installed each server components identical (MS ODBC for .NET, MDAC2.7)
    etc..

    I thought it might have something to do with the Registry Permissions
    on the ODBC DNS entry, changed to allow ALL access (as on one test
    server, I was getting an error message) but that hasn't seem to do
    anything..

    Also, as mentioned, Excel can connect to the Datasource on the XP
    without a problem, so i know the DSN is setup correctly, and since
    this is the same code that works on W2K test servers, the code works..

    Can anyone Help?

    Robert Brown, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Robert Brown

    Robert Brown Guest

    Dont all jump at once...

    I have found the problem..

    I knew it had to do with a rights issue but where???

    What I did was to change the username in the MACHINE.CONFIG file for
    the framework from "machine" to "SYSTEM", restarted IIS and from then
    on it worked like a charm..

    The only thing I would love to find out, is why wasn't any error
    shown.

    Anyway, there you have it..

    Regards,
    Robert

    Robert Brown, Jul 3, 2003

  3. Probably a registry permission sissue. System DSNs are stored in the System
    registry.

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP