On Adobe's Flash & Flex in ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ASP.NET explorer, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. I have been asked to create some simple animation using Adobe Flash player
    in ASP.NET(C#) web application.

    While I am fairly well versed with ASP.NET C#, I absolutely have NO IDEA
    about how to say "Hello World" in a Flash enabled web page rendered via
    ASP.NET.

    Can any one let me get started?

    ---
    By the way, there is a NEWS today about Adobe Flex 2, which I can not
    comprehend. There are getting started articles for PHP developers on Adobe's
    website but nothing for ASP.NET developers.

    http://news.com.com/Adobe to open-source Flash tool Flex/2100-7344_3-6179305.html

    It will be nice to hear something from experienced people. Microsoft folks
    too are urged to speak something. How Microsfott's Silverlight fits into all
    this? Can a person who rely solel on VWD/C# Express count on Silverline?

    Thanks in advance !

    -- a VWD(C#) Express explorer

    ASP.NET explorer, Apr 27, 2007

  2. You have to consider Flash an embedded control in the browser. It has a
    completely separate programming model which is radically different from
    ASP.NET. ASP.NET ultimately is only going to send HTML to be rendered in
    the browser (it's going to be complex, but at its core, that's what it's
    doing).

    Flash, on the other hand, is going to actually execute within the
    browser, and you have have it interact with the page it is hosted in, as
    well as the server it came from (I'm not sure what the security restrictions
    on flash are, but this would be reasonable to assume, I could be wrong
    here).

    As for Flex, my understanding of it is that it is Adobe's response to
    WPF, meant more for desktop applications, while Silverlight is Microsoft's
    attempt to break into the Flash market.

    --
    - Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
    -

    Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP], Apr 27, 2007

  3. ASP.NET explorer

    Bryce Guest

    Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP] wrote:
    > You have to consider Flash an embedded control in the browser. It has a
    > completely separate programming model which is radically different from
    > ASP.NET. ASP.NET ultimately is only going to send HTML to be rendered in
    > the browser (it's going to be complex, but at its core, that's what it's
    > doing).
    >
    > Flash, on the other hand, is going to actually execute within the
    > browser, and you have have it interact with the page it is hosted in, as
    > well as the server it came from (I'm not sure what the security restrictions
    > on flash are, but this would be reasonable to assume, I could be wrong
    > here).
    >
    > As for Flex, my understanding of it is that it is Adobe's response to
    > WPF, meant more for desktop applications, while Silverlight is Microsoft's
    > attempt to break into the Flash market.

    Not true. Flex, has been around for a few years now, is Flash for the
    server. It allows you to create Flash UIs using XML declarations.
    Facilitates remote calls for your Flash client, etc.

    More info here;
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/productinfo/overview/

    OpenLazlo is an alternative to Flex:
    http://www.openlaszlo.org/

    Bryce, Apr 27, 2007
  4. ASP.NET explorer

    bruce barker Guest

    flash is browser plugin and plays a flash file stored on your website.
    the flash is hosted just like an image. instead of an image tag, you use
    an <object> tag. its just html, so nothing special is required to host a
    flash file in asp.net.

    To build a flash file (swf), you currently need a tool kit from adobe.
    this tools kit will be available later this year as open source, but
    right now you need to buy one from adobe.

    flash file are a series of vector graphics, canvases, behaviors and a
    timeline that allows an animated graphic to be displayed. there are
    built in events and action such that click on an location can cause an
    action to happen.

    the flash file can also contain code (they have a version of javascript)
    that can also be triggered by events. if you write code, the code can
    make webservice (flash remote) calls. flash also supports sending events
    to the client.

    the flash has a server framework to receive and send events to the
    client. this is currently java based.

    flash also can call client javascript, or expose methods to client
    javascript.

    with asp.net you can host a flash file, use its client javascript
    support, and host webservices it calls.

    Silverline is microsofts response to flash. Silverline is a plugin just
    like flash. Silverline files are xaml (xml) based so they can be built
    without buying a tool. though making more than a trival hello world not
    sure how far you'd get. As the flashtool kit will be open source, MS
    will probably release an Express Silverline toolkit. Silverline uses
    client javascript for a progaming language. it also supports loadloading
    and hosting a .net component, but this requires both Silverline and .net
    be installed. also increases load time.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Apr 27, 2007
  5. Several options..

    1. Flash. The is the traditional way to develop Flash movies and
    apps. I wouldn't suggest it for applications unless you're doing
    something very visual or artsy--there are better options now.

    2. Flex. This is the newer way to develop Flash applications. Based
    on XML and ActionScript 3 (ECMA4). It's two new languages but
    hopefully should be easy enough to learn. There is a free SDK (which
    is what the press release is referring to) so you can develop Flex
    apps using any IDE without paying any fees. However, FlexBuilder
    makes it a lot easier so I'd highly suggest using FlexBuilder. 30 day
    trial available. For communication it supports web services and
    others (see Fluorine).

    3. NeoSwff. There's a separate IDE and compiler from a company
    called GlobFX which lets you create Flash applications using C# and
    WinForms framework. It compiles down to SWF and uses their
    implementation of the .NET framework. I haven't used it, but the lead
    developer is very smart and I've heard lots of very good things.
    Obviously this would be the easist for you to learn.

    4. OpenLaszlo. Produces SWFs from XML and ActionScript. Uses older
    version of SWF and ActionScript so I personally would not recommend
    it.

    Silverlight is a nice option in the future but if you're building
    something for widespread use (outside a single company) then it'll be
    years before market penetration is high enough to be useful.

    Flash IDE: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/

    FlexBuilder: http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/flexbuilder/

    Fluorine: http://fluorine.thesilentgroup.com/fluorine/

    NeoSwff: http://www.globfx.com/

    OpenLaszlo: http://www.openlaszlo.org/

    For developing in Flex I would suggest a new O'Reilly book

    Programming Flex 2
    http://www.amazon.com/Programming-F.../dp/059652689X/ref=sr_1_3/102-0946813-0563331

    HTH,

    Sam

    We're hiring! B-Line Medical is seeking .NET
    Developers for exciting positions in medical product
    development in MD/DC. Work with a variety of technologies
    in a relaxed team environment. See ads on Dice.com.

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:30:58 -0500, "ASP.NET explorer"

    Samuel R. Neff, Apr 27, 2007
  6. Your reply was quite enlightening, reducing my bewilderment.

    Thank you to you all !!

    ASP.NET explorer, May 4, 2007