onload function won't run flash in NS7

btopenworld

I have a Flash movie with parameter 'autoplay' set to false. The movie is
started using a Macromedia javascript function via onload. This is OK in IE
but Netscape 6 doesn't run the movie - it appears to be waiting for
something, even though everything else is downloaded. If I set the movie to
autoplay it runs fine but of course begins too early.

This is the Macromedia script:

function MM_controlShockwave(objStr,x,cmdName,frameNum) { //v3.0
var obj=MM_findObj(objStr);
if (obj)
eval('obj.'+cmdName+'('+((cmdName=='GotoFrame')?frameNum:'')+')');
}

It calls the standard Macromedia findObj function - the movie is named
'movie1'.

Any ideas gratefully received.

John

Martin Honnen

btopenworld said:
I have a Flash movie with parameter 'autoplay' set to false. The movie is
started using a Macromedia javascript function via onload. This is OK in IE
but Netscape 6 doesn't run the movie - it appears to be waiting for
something, even though everything else is downloaded. If I set the movie to
autoplay it runs fine but of course begins too early.

This is the Macromedia script:

function MM_controlShockwave(objStr,x,cmdName,frameNum) { //v3.0
var obj=MM_findObj(objStr);
if (obj)
eval('obj.'+cmdName+'('+((cmdName=='GotoFrame')?frameNum:'')+')');
}

It calls the standard Macromedia findObj function - the movie is named
'movie1'.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Scripting of Flash depends on the Netscape and the Flash version, if I
remember it correctly then Netscape 6.0 and 6.1 can't script Flash and
Netscape 6.2 and Netscape 7 can only do it with some Flash version 6.5x
or later. And if you are using MM_something functions then better ask in
a Macromedia Flash support group, if they provide something that doesn't
work then they should fix it, and other users are more likely able to
tell you whether it should work.
Here in the group you will find hardly anyone suggesting to use eval, I
guess
if (obj && typeof obj[cmdName] != 'undefined') {
if (cmdName == 'GotoFrame') {
obj[cmdName](frameNum);
}
else {
obj[cmdName]();
should do without any need for eval.

Paul Gorodyansky

Hi,

Martin, your site does not work sowehow today (I used it before)... :(

Martin Honnen

Paul said:
Martin, your site does not work sowehow today (I used it before)... :(

I can't remedy that myself as the whole www.faqts.com server has
problems serving its content but I have asked the guys running faqts to
look after it.