Only a small number of users were able to access our ASP.NET application during a demonstration - wh

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rod, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Today and tomorrow we're demonstrating our ASP.NET application to the
    external business customers who will be using it (this is what would best be
    called a B2B application). I've set things up so that the users
    automatically go against our test server for the database. We'll "go live"
    next week Monday.

    For some reason, while demonstrating the app, it was causing lots of errors
    for users. It became apparent that the issue was one of the number of users
    connecting. We did not have a lot of users - at the time there were
    probably all of 25 users hitting against the website and database. That's
    not what I would call overwhelming, so why did it fail? Is there some sort
    of limit to the number of concurrent users that IIS will accommodate? We've
    using Crystal Reports for .NET, could that be a problem? (No one was
    actually running a report at the time, so I don't know why that could cause
    a problem, but could it?) We have ISA on a server which redirects a server
    with IIS on it and then the database is on a test server (a single processor
    machine with SQL Server on it. This test server is an old desktop system
    that was converted to a server). Could that be the problem?

    Rod
    Rod, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Rod

    Karl Seguin Guest

    What errors and what os?

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Rod

    Rod Guest

    The error message was not very helpful. It said something like, "If you put
    this setting into your Web.Config file, you will get a better error
    message". Since we were doing this during a demonstration with a room full
    of people, the guy who was running the demo didn't stop to print out the
    error message.

    the OS is Windows 2000 Server running on an old Gateway E-4200. (i.e.:
    hardware wise, this is NOT a real server, it is an old Windows 98 machine
    that we wiped the OS from and then installed Windows 2000 Server onto, so
    that we could have a test machine as a server.)

    Rod

    Rod, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Rod

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Maybe get Application Center Test, record a couple test scripts, and try to
    reproduce the error in a controlled environment....also, your application
    should have error logging facilities (for this kind of situation).

    Other than that, you've provided nothing to go on :( sorry.

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/