onsubmit/submit race condition ?

Chris Sharman

I'm doing a rough validation of an email address client-side (using js),
but it's not enough - our customer service people are apparently
incapable of typing in an email address without error - we get spaces,
missing '@', multiple '@' which we can field, and simple mis-spellings,
which we can't.

I'd like to automate a 'mailto:' popup for them on submit, along the
lines of "thanks for your email address, just verifying I've got it right".

Two questions:
1. How do I automate the pop-up - javascript window.open(url) works, but
leaves an unwanted residual blank browser page; window.href=,
window.location=, window.location.href=, and window.open(url,"_self")
all appear to do nothing - I suspect the form submission immediately
afterwards wipes it out before it does the mail pop-up.

2. I've seen advice about "don't use subject & body in mailto: urls" -
which browsers do they/don't they work in (this is an intranet page, so
I can reasonably rule out some browsers if necessary, but I'd like to
know which).

Thanks,
Chris