Open Document Format / Rich Text Format Editor in Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by Dominik, Mar 14, 2007.

  1. Dominik

    Dominik Guest

    hi all,

    I'm looking for a java class or a set of java classes with which I can
    display ( and edit ) a ODF-Document (or a RTF-Document).

    One requirement is that it is possible to display different fonts,
    text size, text color, text-decoration, images, tables with or without
    borders/colors , links, background color, indent, numbering, bullets
    etc.

    I know about the RTFEditorKit and the HTMLEditorKit from the swing
    packages ...and of their limitations.

    As my application will use SWT (&RCP), I'm looking for a "better"
    alternative. Does anyone of you know which classes could be of
    interest for me?

    Thanx for your help
    Dominik

    Dominik, Mar 14, 2007

  2. Dominik wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking for a java class or a set of java classes with which I can
    > display ( and edit ) a ODF-Document (or a RTF-Document).
    >
    > One requirement is that it is possible to display different fonts,
    > text size, text color, text-decoration, images, tables with or without
    > borders/colors , links, background color, indent, numbering, bullets
    > etc.
    >
    > I know about the RTFEditorKit and the HTMLEditorKit from the swing
    > packages ...and of their limitations.
    >
    > As my application will use SWT (&RCP), I'm looking for a "better"
    > alternative. Does anyone of you know which classes could be of
    > interest for me?
    >
    > Thanx for your help
    > Dominik

    http://books.evc-cit.info/odf_utils/index.html.

    Like any other file format, googling "java <file format>" will generally
    give you a library to read/write the file format. If you wanted to write
    a simple one yourself, the ODF is an XML based format in a ZIP
    container, reading/writing of which Java handles quite well natively.

    Joshua Cranmer, Mar 15, 2007

  3. Dominik

    Dominik Guest

    Hi,

    > http://books.evc-cit.info/odf_utils/index.html.

    Thanx for the link. Might become usefull in the future.

    > Like any other file format, googling "java <file format>" will generally
    > give you a library to read/write the file format.

    But for now I'm looking for an *EDITOR* (not a library or tools to
    write an editor). I'm trying to avoid doing all the work with writing
    the gui-components to display a ODF/RTF Document by reusing an editor
    that already exists (and probably has its own ways of reading/writing
    to/from the files).

    The part that I'm really interested in is not the reading/writing to/
    from an ODF file, but reusing the editors in-memory representation of
    the loaded document and the methods used to modify the document (in-
    memory).

    I allready tried with HTMLEditorKit/RTFEditorKit (et.al.) but as I
    wrote above, their too limited and buggy for my use. The writer from
    OpenOffice on the other hand might just be a bit too big, complex and
    powerfull (despite the fact that it is written in C).

    > If you wanted to write
    > a simple one yourself, the ODF is an XML based format in a ZIP
    > container, reading/writing of which Java handles quite well natively.

    I hope it won't be necessary to do that myself. There's plenty of
    other features that I have to worry about. ;-)

    Cheers,
    Dominik

    Dominik, Mar 15, 2007
  4. Dominik

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Dominik wrote:

    > I'm looking for a java class or a set of java classes with which I can
    > display ( and edit ) a ODF-Document (or a RTF-Document).

    Maybe one of Ephox's components would fit the bill.

    http://www.ephox.com/products/

    (I have never used any of them myself so I can't comment on quality, value for
    money, suitability, etc...)

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Mar 15, 2007
  5. Dominik

    Dominik Guest

    hi chris,

    thanx for the link.

    > Maybe one of Ephox's components would fit the bill.
    >
    > http://www.ephox.com/products/

    from a first look it seems that ephox "only" edits html files/code but
    not odf- or rtf-documents. but that's still better than the
    HTMLEditorKit et.al. I guess.

    cheers,
    dominik

    Dominik, Mar 22, 2007