Rich text

Peter K

Hi

I would like some pointers to representing a "rich text" document as an
object.

Does java have inbuilt classes for rich text representation?

I am not building any gui code, but I am investigating possibilities for
transporting complex data (text + inline images) over a web-service. The
data is read from a Notes database, and I have it on good authority that
Notes can supply data in some sort of rich text format (therefore I am
looking at how to represent rich text as a java object).

So if anyone also has more info on Notes, or generally on good ways of
representing and transporting text and related images via a webservice I
would be grateful.

Thanks,
Peter

Steve W. Jackson

Peter K said:
Hi

I would like some pointers to representing a "rich text" document as an
object.

Does java have inbuilt classes for rich text representation?

I am not building any gui code, but I am investigating possibilities for
transporting complex data (text + inline images) over a web-service. The
data is read from a Notes database, and I have it on good authority that
Notes can supply data in some sort of rich text format (therefore I am
looking at how to represent rich text as a java object).

So if anyone also has more info on Notes, or generally on good ways of
representing and transporting text and related images via a webservice I
would be grateful.

Thanks,
Peter

Java has the javax.swing.text.rtf.RTFEditorKit which allows editing of
RTF (Rich Text Format) documents. But it's woefully out of date, unless
they've done some serious work in Java 6 that I'm not yet using. So if
you were working on a GUI for editing and manipulating RTF, you'd find
that many newer features (including tables and images) aren't supported
readily.

That said, RTF is little more than a markup language of sorts. So if
you've got a rich text document already created that includes these
things, it should essentially just be a string of text including
content, the special markup features of RTF, etc. And you should have
no difficulty passing such text over a Web Service.

= Steve =