    Any help or link ti help is appreciated

    THX.

    , Oct 23, 2007

  2. rf Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I want to create an html files with links to other html files AND to
    > pdf files and I want that some html links are related to some pdf
    > links.
    >
    > And I want that clicking an html links displays the html file in the
    > upper part of the browser AND the pdf file in the lover part (with
    > acroread naturally)...
    >
    > Exemple:
    >
    > Clicking on firstlink displays
    >
    > firstlink.thml (in the upper part of the browser)
    > firstlink.pdf (in the lower part of the browser,
    > automatically).
    >
    > How can i do this ?

    Write a new browser?

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 23, 2007

  3. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:

    > And I want that clicking an html links displays the html file in the
    > upper part of the browser AND the pdf file in the lover part (with
    > acroread naturally)...

    Maybe that's what *you* want, but is that what your visitors want?

    It would really annoy me. I don't want PDFs to open in my browser at
    all. They should always open in my separate PDF reader app *after* I've
    given permission to do so. It isn't necessarily Adobe's reader, either.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 23, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > I want to create an html files with links to other html files AND to
    > pdf files and I want that some html links are related to some pdf
    > links.
    >
    > And I want that clicking an html links displays the html file in the
    > upper part of the browser AND the pdf file in the lover part (with
    > acroread naturally)...
    >
    > Exemple:
    >
    > Clicking on firstlink displays
    >
    > firstlink.thml (in the upper part of the browser)
    > firstlink.pdf (in the lower part of the browser,
    > automatically).
    >
    > How can i do this ?

    Yes you *can* in an object element but the real question is *should*
    you. I would say no, because PDFs are significantly larger then their
    HTML counterparts. It would be as bad as having a HUGE image on your
    page...either use HTML or just link to the PDF and give a reference to
    the size of the file for users...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 23, 2007
  5. still me Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:44:12 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >Yes you *can* in an object element but the real question is *should*
    >you. I would say no, because PDFs are significantly larger then their
    >HTML counterparts. It would be as bad as having a HUGE image on your
    >page...either use HTML or just link to the PDF and give a reference to
    >the size of the file for users...

    Could do it with frames and some Javascript.

    Agree on the "bad idea".

    still me, Oct 23, 2007
  6. still me Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:30:43 -0500, Bergamot <>
    wrote:

    >It would really annoy me. I don't want PDFs to open in my browser at
    >all.

    You're annoying Bill Gates with talk like that.

    still me, Oct 23, 2007
  7. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    still me <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:30:43 -0500, Bergamot <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >It would really annoy me. I don't want PDFs to open in my browser at
    > >all.

    > You're annoying Bill Gates with talk like that.

    For quick looks at pdfs off line, I use my browser to see pdf
    files out of choice. I just grab files and plonk them on Safari.
    But I have a very nice Mac plugin that acts fast and is quicker
    than opening something like Acrobat (either the stand alone or
    via browser). It is often convenient to do the same with online
    pdfs.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 23, 2007

    I found that the use of frames works well for my purpose of opening
    pdf files as a part of the browsers-window.

    Look at following code:

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <head>
    <title>Eingebettete Frames definieren</title>
    </head>

    <h1>Fenstergucker</h1>

    <iframe src="http://www.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de/Zum_Nachlesen/
    Skripte_Tutorials/WebPublishing/html.pdf" width="90%" height="400"
    name="SELFHTML_in_a_box">
    Sie k&ouml;nnen die eingebettete Seite &uuml;ber den folgenden
    Verweis

    </iframe>

    it works.
    I now have two questions:
    a) how can i set the width and height dynamically, referencing to the
    actual windows size ?
    b)whe disappears the link to the pdf file if i save the html to the
    hard disk (I use netscape).

    In fact, if i save the listed html file i become:

    <h1>Fenstergucker</h1>

    <iframe src="test-saved_files/html.html" width="90%" height="400"
    name="SELFHTML_in_a_box">
    &lt;p&gt;Ihr Browser kann leider keine eingebetteten Frames
    anzeigen:
    Sie k&amp;ouml;nnen die eingebettete Seite &amp;uuml;ber den
    folgenden Verweis
    aufrufen: &lt;a&gt;SELFHTML&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

    </iframe>

    loosing the link.

    What can i do ?

    THX

    , Oct 24, 2007
  9. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > I found that the use of frames works well for my purpose of opening
    > pdf files as a part of the browsers-window.
    >
    > Look at following code:
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "

    > <iframe src="http://www.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de/Zum_Nachlesen/
    > Skripte_Tutorials/WebPublishing/html.pdf" width="90%" height="400"
    > name="SELFHTML_in_a_box">

    > -----
    >
    > it works.
    > I now have two questions:
    > a) how can i set the width and height dynamically, referencing to the
    > actual windows size ?

    I have not been following this thread and not perfectly sure what
    you are asking but it sure looks and behaves more sensibly in my
    browsers if you were to use

    width="100%" height="100%"

    instead of your

    width="90%" height="400"

    And perhaps think of some way not to take up so much headspace
    with your:

    <h1>Fenstergucker</h1>

    You might find better than to

    <h1 style="display:inline;">Fenstergucker</h1>

    an:</p>

    ?

    --
    dorayme