Opening a Project from the web

John Giblin

I am not sure what setting I am missing. Everytime I click to open a
project from the web, I select the host address. When I do this it
open a file dialog instead of looking at the files on the server.
What setting on IIS do I need in order to make this work correctly.

John

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

John,

Are you saying that you see the shortcut for your project (i.e.
http://server/project) and that when you click on it, it opens a file
location instead of the server? If so, try deleting the shortcut for your
project location and trying again.

If it still doesn't work, you are likely dealing with broken Web Folders.
See the following KB article:

287402 Troubleshooting Web Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=287402

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

John Giblin

Thanks, But neither of the solutions worked.

I am opening the project using "Open project from Web" and entering
"http://server/project". I am not sure what I did but I was able to
view the files in one of my projects but not the other. The one that I
was able to open I selected the project, but I got a "Web Access Failed"
and it gives me an option to use front page extensions. Frontpage
extensions didnt work either.

One other note, I was getting an access denied to all. For some reason
the drop-down in the properties in IIS, was not set to scripts only.

So the question is why are some projects opening fine, despite the iis
security right look exactly the same. And why am I unable to open a
project. Do I have to allow write access to that directory?

thanks

JOhn

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

John,

You do have to have read access to create the project and see files.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)