OpenLDAP for Ruby

Sarah Tanembaum

Is there Ruby utilities for OpenLDAP such as object browsers, class
design, etc. I've search the RAA and found several inactive project.

Thanks

Dick Davies

* Sarah Tanembaum said:
Is there Ruby utilities for OpenLDAP such as object browsers, class
design, etc. I've search the RAA and found several inactive project.

I don't know of any, and by the silence I guess there isn't one.
Pity, a good LDAP browser that didn't need J*** (ldapbrowser) or
GNOME (gq) would be very handy... if I extend my directory as I plan
to, it might be something I try when my skills are good enough.

Ferenc Engard

Sarah said:
Is there Ruby utilities for OpenLDAP such as object browsers, class
design, etc. I've search the RAA and found several inactive project.

Thanks

One of them is mine: http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ldap_browser/

I needed a console-based ldap browser, and I put it together in a few
days. Unfortunately, the ldap2 bindings of ruby-ldap was not perfect at
that time, and I don't tell anything about the ncurses ruby wrapper.
Also, this was my first curses-based program, too, it also mean
something in code robustness and quality. :-/

So, I suspect the script do not even run with current libs, sorry. :(

Anyway, what other possibilities are to write an app with console-based
GUI aside from ncurses?

Ferenc

Sarah Tanembaum

Ferenc Engard said:
One of them is mine: http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ldap_browser/

I needed a console-based ldap browser, and I put it together in a few
days. Unfortunately, the ldap2 bindings of ruby-ldap was not perfect at
that time, and I don't tell anything about the ncurses ruby wrapper.
Also, this was my first curses-based program, too, it also mean
something in code robustness and quality. :-/

So, I suspect the script do not even run with current libs, sorry. :(

Anyway, what other possibilities are to write an app with console-based
GUI aside from ncurses?

Ferenc
That is very unfortunate. There are a lot of ideas of tools and library in
RAA but most of them just died or never updated.

Perhaps that we should be more Perl group where there are a lot of support
and pretty active tools/utilities development.