  1. Is there Ruby utilities for OpenLDAP such as object browsers, class
    design, etc. I've search the RAA and found several inactive project.

    Thanks

    Sarah Tanembaum, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Sarah Tanembaum

    Dick Davies Guest

    * Sarah Tanembaum <> [0658 01:58]:
    > Is there Ruby utilities for OpenLDAP such as object browsers, class
    > design, etc. I've search the RAA and found several inactive project.

    I don't know of any, and by the silence I guess there isn't one.
    Pity, a good LDAP browser that didn't need J*** (ldapbrowser) or
    GNOME (gq) would be very handy... if I extend my directory as I plan
    to, it might be something I try when my skills are good enough.
    --
    Bell Labs Unix -- Reach out and grep someone.

    Dick Davies, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

    > Is there Ruby utilities for OpenLDAP such as object browsers, class
    > design, etc. I've search the RAA and found several inactive project.
    >
    > Thanks

    One of them is mine: http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ldap_browser/

    I needed a console-based ldap browser, and I put it together in a few
    days. Unfortunately, the ldap2 bindings of ruby-ldap was not perfect at
    that time, and I don't tell anything about the ncurses ruby wrapper.
    Also, this was my first curses-based program, too, it also mean
    something in code robustness and quality. :-/

    So, I suspect the script do not even run with current libs, sorry. :(

    Anyway, what other possibilities are to write an app with console-based
    GUI aside from ncurses?

    Ferenc

    Ferenc Engard, Jun 18, 2004
  4. "Ferenc Engard" <> wrote in message
    > Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
    > >
    > > Is there Ruby utilities for OpenLDAP such as object browsers, class
    > > design, etc. I've search the RAA and found several inactive project.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > One of them is mine: http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ldap_browser/
    >
    > I needed a console-based ldap browser, and I put it together in a few
    > days. Unfortunately, the ldap2 bindings of ruby-ldap was not perfect at
    > that time, and I don't tell anything about the ncurses ruby wrapper.
    > Also, this was my first curses-based program, too, it also mean
    > something in code robustness and quality. :-/
    >
    > So, I suspect the script do not even run with current libs, sorry. :(
    >
    > Anyway, what other possibilities are to write an app with console-based
    > GUI aside from ncurses?
    >
    > Ferenc

    That is very unfortunate. There are a lot of ideas of tools and library in
    RAA but most of them just died or never updated.

    Perhaps that we should be more Perl group where there are a lot of support
    and pretty active tools/utilities development.

    Sarah Tanembaum, Jun 19, 2004