Opinion: Do web standards matter?

Travis Newbury

Greg said:
The web is (primarily) a visual medium. There is nothing that you can
express visually that cannot be done in such a way that it validates.

This includes using tables for layout? That validates.
Validation is not the be-all and end-all. It is a useful tool.

Truer words can not be spoken.

kchayka

Travis said:
Why? If my site (personal or business) wants to project a specific
look, feel, flavor, what ever, even though I completely understand that
someone else may not like it or be able to see it. What concern is it
to you? Who cares what I do on the web?

If the site is for your own personal use, feel free to do whatever you
like, but there's not much point in having a web site if you are the
only visitor. If you don't care, no one else will, either.

But, if you want to reach a particular audience, then the purpose of the
site is for the benefit of those visitors, don't you think? The design
should be determined by what *they* want or need, not by the designer's
whims. If you know the target audience likes stuff like Flash and
gratuitous animation, give them what they want, but don't do it just
because the designer likes it. If you don't know what your visitors
want, you should find out.

Otherwise, you could end up alienating the very audience you're trying
to attract.

Travis Newbury

kchayka said:
If the site is for your own personal use, feel free to do whatever you
like, but there's not much point in having a web site if you are the
only visitor. If you don't care, no one else will, either.

But, if you want to reach a particular audience, then the purpose of the
site is for the benefit of those visitors, don't you think?
The design
should be determined by what *they* want or need, not by the designer's
whims. If you know the target audience likes stuff like Flash and
gratuitous animation, give them what they want, but don't do it just
because the designer likes it. If you don't know what your visitors
want, you should find out.

Otherwise, you could end up alienating the very audience you're trying
to attract.

While probably not the answer most in this group would come up with, I
personally could not agree more.

Stephen Poley

As an aside I do not validate my code. I might implement validation if I
perceived that there was sufficient benefit for me to warrant doing so.

Philosophically speaking I oppose anything that impedes a website author's
freedom of expression. If authors cannot expresses themselves freely then
the web serves no purpose.

The idea that working according to standards impedes creativity has been
voiced before in these groups. It is utter myth. This is obvious if you
take a look at the telecommunications sector: this is far more strongly
governed by standards than the Web is, yet it has produced a flood of
new services and products.

Toby Inkster

c.thornquist said:
Those are good examples, except there's nothing preventing the printing
presses from operating if those standards aren't met.

Except pride.

Eric Bohlman

The idea that working according to standards impedes creativity has
been voiced before in these groups. It is utter myth. This is obvious
if you take a look at the telecommunications sector: this is far more
strongly governed by standards than the Web is, yet it has produced a
flood of new services and products.

A corrolary is that the greatest artists of all time have been those who
innovated *within* the limits of their media, whereas artists who have
tried to pretend that those limits didn't exist have been relegated to
the scrap-heap of pseudo-artists (those who regard Art as merely calling
attention to oneself).

Richard Brooks

c.thornquist said:
And millions are continually coming online; most being built by the average
Joe who wants to share family photos or express an opinion or seek others
with similar interests in their hobby.

When I have time, I will return to the sites I built 5 years ago for $200.00
each to support my family, meanwhile I hope the ability to view sites does
not become contingent upon validation.

I'll try to think of analogies in other media & art forms whereby standards
(not related to health & safety) are required to be met, before
publication/viewing by others. That may aid in understanding both sides.

[snipped]

How about currency ? A great one would be road or health & safety signs!

I think a lot of Web designs follows the HiFi system analogy. Okay, we
can put a 24-band graphic equaliser but do we really need it. We guys
use our ego's too much in most media. We could add Flash, Javascript,
ActiveX, XML, VML,VBScript and anything else on one page but are we
selling ourselves or the client's product.

In the UK we had a classic case of one TV advertising producer who got
so wild with showing his own talents (the last of the series of adverts
being a family car being driven through a post-apocalyptic world, you
know the sort of thing! Ball bearings being rolled over the road, a man
in a gimp mask with nails poked out of it, solarized colour with the
advert ending with a piano being thrown over a bridge) the customer
ended up not knowing what the name of the product being sold was.

Richard.

Travis Newbury

Stephen said:
The idea that working according to standards impedes creativity has been
voiced before in these groups. It is utter myth.

That statement completely depends on one's definition of creativity, and
if you are including accessibility as part of the standards.

me

I think a lot of Web designs follows the HiFi system analogy. Okay, we
can put a 24-band graphic equaliser but do we really need it. We guys
use our ego's too much in most media. We could add Flash, Javascript,
ActiveX, XML, VML,VBScript and anything else on one page but are we
selling ourselves or the client's product.

In the UK we had a classic case of one TV advertising producer who got
so wild with showing his own talents (the last of the series of adverts
being a family car being driven through a post-apocalyptic world, you
know the sort of thing! Ball bearings being rolled over the road, a man
in a gimp mask with nails poked out of it, solarized colour with the
advert ending with a piano being thrown over a bridge) the customer
ended up not knowing what the name of the product being sold was.
Richard.

I agree and your points are valid. I would add that in my experience the
client (or employer) will only allow that which they find appropriate.
Signed,
me

c.thornquist

Eric Bohlman said:
A corrolary is that the greatest artists of all time have been those who
innovated *within* the limits of their media, whereas artists who have
tried to pretend that those limits didn't exist have been relegated to
the scrap-heap of pseudo-artists (those who regard Art as merely calling
attention to oneself).

What does that mean? Are you referring to painters & sculptors? Musicians?

Carla

me

Stephen Poley said:
The idea that working according to standards impedes creativity has been
voiced before in these groups. It is utter myth. This is obvious if you
take a look at the telecommunications sector: this is far more strongly
governed by standards than the Web is, yet it has produced a flood of
new services and products.

I have already addressed this here:
But my answer is in no way related to the telecommunications sector
especially considering that from the users point of view the act of making a
phone call has not changed for many decades (i.e. pick up receiver, dial,
talk).
Signed,
me

Greg Schmidt

This includes using tables for layout? That validates.

Tables for layout tend to hurt accessibility and search engine rankings,
make designs more fragile and increase page size (and hence download
times). However, you are right that from an SGML point of view they are
valid. It goes to show that, just as there are (rare) occasions where
(very slightly) invalid code is the best choice, there are also (many)
occasions where code that happens to be valid is not the best choice.

Greg Schmidt

Oh no, the whole point of the web was to communicate content. We
already had plenty of visual-specific media, before the WWW was
invented; if one of those had been enough, TimBL would have had no
need to invent the WWW.

Well, we had a number of text-specific media too, like FTP, Gopher and
WAIS. If the world was just about text content, then those would have
sufficed, but the physicists that TimBL worked with wanted to be able to
share graphs as well. The WWW does a great job not only of delivering
text, but also graphics (some of which is content, much of it is not).
I don't think it's coincidence that the surge in popularity of the WWW
came with the release of the first graphical browser.
I don't dispute that most readers browse the web visually. But that
doesn't devalue the web into a visual-only medium.

You didn't quote this part of my original:A summary of that might be "valid code doesn't get in the way of the
content".

Perhaps my opening line should have been "The web is experienced
(primarily) as a visual medium."

c.thornquist

Greg Schmidt said:
Tables for layout tend to hurt accessibility and search engine rankings,
make designs more fragile and increase page size (and hence download
times). However, you are right that from an SGML point of view they are
valid. It goes to show that, just as there are (rare) occasions where
(very slightly) invalid code is the best choice, there are also (many)
occasions where code that happens to be valid is not the best choice.

Why do sites built using pure CSS look so similar? Why do they, almost all
that I've seen where it was brought to my attention that they were built
with CSS, look boxy, boring and spread all the way across my 19" monitor?
Including the text! Don't those authors care about usability (as opposed to
accessibility)? Most people can comfortably read only 400 pixels across at a
stretch.

I know you can approximate the layout & look of a site built with tables in
CSS (saw it done in an example on a website), so why do so many CSS sites
look so bad? And so similar? Is it something inherent in coding with CSS?

Tables need not be fragile if the numbers add up. They must be precise.

Carla

Alan J. Flavell

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, c.thornquist wrote:

[overquotage snipped...]
Why do sites built using pure CSS look so similar? Why do they,
almost all that I've seen where it was brought to my attention that
they were built with CSS, look boxy, boring and spread all the way
across my 19" monitor?

Eh? Haven't you discovered windowing systems yet? No web page gets
to spread itself "all the way" across my monitor!!!
Including the text! Don't those authors care about usability (as
opposed to accessibility)?

(Possibly they didn't reckon with you choosing a ridiculously wide
browser window /and/ using a browser that doesn't implement max-width)

Most people can comfortably read only 400 pixels across at a

That depends on the pixel density of the display! On my desktop
display, that's less than 3 inches, and represents a -very- short line
of text.
I know you can approximate the layout & look of a site built with
tables in CSS

This is truly perverse. You want to take a badly-engineered product,
and use good engineering to mimic it? You'd rate to finish up with
many of the disadvantages of both, and few of the benefits. No wonder
you're disappointed.

Nobody claims that CSS is perfect, or that browser implementations of
it are entirely reliable. But at least it's a move in the right
direction, and, if done properly, my perception is that on balance it
rates to produce better results. Of course, it can be that your
standards of "better" are so different from mine that we'd never
agree. But you seem to be doing your worst to put CSS in a bad light,
while "proving" that table layouts enjoy a superiority that IMHO they
don't deserve.
so why do so many CSS sites look so bad? And so similar?

More to the point, why is your perception of them so different from
mine?
Tables need not be fragile if the numbers add up.

The problem with table layouts is that they stubbornly insist on
"working" in situations where they're completely inappropriate.

CSS can be more flexible than that.
They must be precise.

Which web browsers are not; so the bets are off.

I drink to flexibility of design.

Michael Winter

On 30/03/2005 19:47, c.thornquist wrote:

[snip]
Why do sites built using pure CSS look so similar? Why do they, almost all
that I've seen where it was brought to my attention that they were built
with CSS, look boxy, boring and spread all the way across my 19" monitor?

I would imagine that it's simply because Web "designers" aren't using
CSS yet. The authors that do are the Web developers that know the
benefits of CSS, but don't have the artistic capability to exploit them.

Graphics designers are still being taught techniques from when NN4 was
a major user agent. I've even seen material that focuses on that
antiquated pain in the ass. CSS is a small side note, and the idea of
semantic mark-up never even comes up.

It's been said before that more graphical artists need to lead the way
with CSS-based Web development. To show others just what can be
achieved with well-written, semantic mark-up. I sincerely hope that
happens sometime soon.

[snip]
Tables need not be fragile if the numbers add up. They must be precise.

It's got nothing to do with numbers. It's that most table layouts I've
bothered to look at fit a particular design. If something doesn't
quite fit the design, or you need to change it, it's not always a
matter of a little editing here, at little there. That'll just lead to
something ugly and broken. It may necessitate rebuilding from the
ground up.

Mike

Greg Schmidt

Why do sites built using pure CSS look so similar? Why do they, almost all
that I've seen where it was brought to my attention that they were built
with CSS, look boxy, boring

This is an old question that's been rehashed here many times. The best
guess I've seen is that people who are good at CSS tend to be techies
and not so good at design(1), while people who are good at design tend
not to be so good at CSS. For a variety of reasons (mainly to do with
economics, I think), the two types tend not to collaborate very often.
and spread all the way across my 19" monitor?
Including the text! Don't those authors care about usability (as opposed to
accessibility)? Most people can comfortably read only 400 pixels across at a
stretch.

Why do sites built with tables not stretch out to make better use of my
monitor? The pages which scrunch themselves all up into the left half
of the available space, and make themselves harder to read by doing so,
far outnumber the pages which will stretch too wide.
Tables need not be fragile if the numbers add up. They must be precise.

By fragile, I meant that they are more likely to break when changes are
made. You need to add a new menu item, and now all of the numbers must
be recalculated to fit it in. Such changes have much less "ripple
effect" on a properly designed CSS site.

(1) I know that this is true in my case. I think that perhaps my best
CSS design was for http://handsonmassage.ca/ It's not quite done yet,
but it's close. It's not as flashy as some sites, but I think it's not
as "boxy and boring" as many CSS sites. Most importantly, it meets the
client's needs, and it's dead easy to maintain (low maintenance costs
contribute to high customer satisfaction).

Adrienne

Why do sites built using pure CSS look so similar? Why do they, almost
all that I've seen where it was brought to my attention that they were
built with CSS, look boxy, boring and spread all the way across my 19"
monitor? Including the text! Don't those authors care about usability
(as opposed to accessibility)? Most people can comfortably read only
400 pixels across at a stretch.

I know you can approximate the layout & look of a site built with
tables in CSS (saw it done in an example on a website), so why do so
many CSS sites look so bad? And so similar? Is it something inherent in
coding with CSS?

Tables need not be fragile if the numbers add up. They must be precise.

Carla

Recently, I was asked to duplicate the look of the Loreal site. The new
site owner thought that duplicating the site would be difficult, because it
was using ASP.Net so I would not be able to see the real coding.

I explained that I did not have to see the server side coding, only the
HTML. I looked at the source, and saw a whopping 1,121 lines, including
presentational tables, javascript, and 45 validation errors. When I
duplicated it, I reduced it to 164 lines, pure CSS, external javascript,
and 0 errors.

The sites are: http://www.loreal.com/ and
http://win04.startlogic.com/infinica/ (yes I know the text is too small,
but the site owner demanded it despite many warnings)

Uncle Pirate

Michael said:
On 30/03/2005 19:47, c.thornquist wrote:

[snip]
Why do sites built using pure CSS look so similar? Why do they, almost
all that I've seen where it was brought to my attention that they were
built with CSS, look boxy, boring and spread all the way across my 19"
monitor?

I would imagine that it's simply because Web "designers" aren't using
CSS yet. The authors that do are the Web developers that know the
benefits of CSS, but don't have the artistic capability to exploit them.

That's it, I beleive. I know that I am no designer. So, in the
upcoming redesign of the large website I manage (http://alamo.nmsu.edu),
the design will be created by a committee consisting of people from our
(college) art department, marketing, public information, various area
personnel, and myself. We will each have something to offer in the
design, then I will implement what we come up with. I think it will
work rather well.
It's got nothing to do with numbers. It's that most table layouts I've
bothered to look at fit a particular design. If something doesn't quite
fit the design, or you need to change it, it's not always a matter of a
little editing here, at little there. That'll just lead to something
ugly and broken. It may necessitate rebuilding from the ground up.

I can't wait to get rid of tables on my site. Updating pages with
tables nested in tables nested ... Well, you get the idea. Editing
information in a div or paragraph or whatever is much much easier.

I've also just implemented, for experimentation, SSI and am in the
process of implementing a new layout for one part of the site
(http://alamo.nmsu.edu/computer/) using seperate files for heading and
navigation menu, styles, footer, and main content. I have many
secretaries and other novices on campus that take care of various pages.
I think that if they only have to concern themselves with the content
section, they will have a much easier time messing things up less.

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Uncle Pirate

Why do sites built with tables not stretch out to make better use of my
monitor? The pages which scrunch themselves all up into the left half
of the available space, and make themselves harder to read by doing so,
far outnumber the pages which will stretch too wide.

Good point. Some of my sites may be what Carla is talking about. I'll
have to consider placing everything in a div with a max-width. Of
course, that's not going to work in every browser, but at least I'll
have tried. :)
By fragile, I meant that they are more likely to break when changes are
made. You need to add a new menu item, and now all of the numbers must
be recalculated to fit it in. Such changes have much less "ripple
effect" on a properly designed CSS site.

(1) I know that this is true in my case. I think that perhaps my best
CSS design was for http://handsonmassage.ca/ It's not quite done yet,
but it's close. It's not as flashy as some sites, but I think it's not
as "boxy and boring" as many CSS sites. Most importantly, it meets the
client's needs, and it's dead easy to maintain (low maintenance costs
contribute to high customer satisfaction).

Nice looking site. I took a brief look at your coding and am wondering
why you went with the loose dtd. It appears (like I said, brief look)
that everything would validate strict. And I agree totally with you
about design vs. develop. I think I'm a pretty good developer; I'm not
so good at design.

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

BrodieSola