Optimizing an ASP.NET application

Danny

Hi All,

Yesterday I ran my ASP.NET application as a client and it had serious
performance issues (clicking a button and waiting 2 minutes to get a
response, images downloaded very slowly, etc.), so I've entered
another application on the same server, but this one was a classic ASP
application and it performed fast as always.

I sometimes get users feedback about poor performance of the asp.net
app, but I've never experienced it myself, and now I have, making me
very concerned... Because the poor performance problem only happens
SOMETIMES, making it difficult for me to find the factors that causing
it.

So the question is: How can I optimize my asp.net application for best
performance?

Using .net 2.0, Windows Server 2003, IIS 6, SQL Server 2000,
sessionState mode is "InProc".
The asp.net application has its own application pool.

Any thought or idea would be appreciated.

Danny

Mark Rae [MVP]

So the question is: How can I optimize my asp.net application for best
performance?

Impossible to say without seeing your code...

However, there are several things to check first:

1) Are you explicitly disposing all disposable objects? Do not wait for the
GC to do this for you...

2) Are you opening database connections only when required and closing them
immediately? Leaving database connections open is very bad for
performance...

3) Are you taking advantage of connection pooling by using the same
connection string for all database connections?

bruce barker

check you viewstate size. firefox is handy for this, but you can save
the page to disk and check the size. if its much over 100k, then you
will have problems when the site is not local.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)