Optimizing an ASP.NET application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Danny, Oct 18, 2007.

  1. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Hi All,

    Yesterday I ran my ASP.NET application as a client and it had serious
    performance issues (clicking a button and waiting 2 minutes to get a
    response, images downloaded very slowly, etc.), so I've entered
    another application on the same server, but this one was a classic ASP
    application and it performed fast as always.

    I sometimes get users feedback about poor performance of the asp.net
    app, but I've never experienced it myself, and now I have, making me
    very concerned... Because the poor performance problem only happens
    SOMETIMES, making it difficult for me to find the factors that causing
    it.

    So the question is: How can I optimize my asp.net application for best
    performance?

    Using .net 2.0, Windows Server 2003, IIS 6, SQL Server 2000,
    sessionState mode is "InProc".
    The asp.net application has its own application pool.

    Any thought or idea would be appreciated.

    Danny
    Danny, Oct 18, 2007

  2. "Danny" <> wrote in message

    > So the question is: How can I optimize my asp.net application for best
    > performance?

    Impossible to say without seeing your code...

    However, there are several things to check first:

    1) Are you explicitly disposing all disposable objects? Do not wait for the
    GC to do this for you...

    2) Are you opening database connections only when required and closing them
    immediately? Leaving database connections open is very bad for
    performance...

    3) Are you taking advantage of connection pooling by using the same
    connection string for all database connections?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 18, 2007

  3. Danny

    bruce barker Guest

    check you viewstate size. firefox is handy for this, but you can save
    the page to disk and check the size. if its much over 100k, then you
    will have problems when the site is not local.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Oct 18, 2007