Option Explicit - Statement Expected?

Agoston Bejo

I am generating WML pages from ASP.
I have header.inc that looks like this:

<%@Language=VBScript%><%
Option Explicit
Response.Buffer = True
Response.ContentType = "text/vnd.wap.wml;charset=UTF-8"
%>
[...]

All ASP pages on the site start by including this file.
In index.asp it works, in another ASP it doesn't, and I get the "statement
expected" error.

I did some messing with the encoding of the files, I saved them in UTF-8
(65001)encoding in Visual Studio, then tried to save them again with Windows
Western European (1252) when I found out that this was neccessary. Can this
cause a problem in the server side script? I don't think so, but I cannot
imagine any other reasons why the same sequence of statements work in one
file and don't work in another.

McKirahan

Agoston Bejo said:
[...]

<!--#include file="header.inc"-->

1) Is the line above the first line in every ASP page?

2) Is the line above in the same folder as all ASP pages?

Agoston Bejo

See the answer below.

McKirahan said:
Agoston Bejo said:
[...]

Yes.

2) Is the line above in the same folder as all ASP pages?

Yes.

Actually, I found something on the internet about this, and it says this
error may occur if you try to use undefined variables. (But as far as I
know, you'll get another error in that case, so it's kind of confusing.)

McKirahan

Agoston Bejo said:
See the answer below.

McKirahan said:
Agoston Bejo said:
[...]

What happens if you remove the following line?

Response.ContentType = "text/vnd.wap.wml;charset=UTF-8"

I'm not familiar with the MIME type "vnd.wap.wml".

Also, you don't need "Response.Buffer = True" with ASP 3.0 as it's the
default.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Agoston said:
Actually, I found something on the internet about this, and it says
this error may occur if you try to use undefined variables. (But as
far as I know, you'll get another error in that case, so it's kind of
confusing.)
Yes, that error is possible if you refer to an undefined variable in such a
was as to make it look like a call to a statement. Without seeing the code,
we can't help you debug this.

Guest

Do the other pages have Option Explicit in them too? You can only have one,
include file or not.

If you're worried about the encoding, simply create a new file of the
correct encoding, paste the code, and delete the original.

Jeff