Oracle JDeveloper: Good, bad or indifferent

JT

Hi everyone,

I installed Oracle JDeveloper yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone else
has recent experience with this IDE. Is it worthwhile to try to learn
the product, or should I stick with NB or Eclipse? While I am not
prepared to go back to using an IDE, it seems that in order to stay
current I need to have some level of experience with most of the common
IDEs which exist today. My work has decided to go with a Sun dev
environment, and this means NB so I may focus on that,but I'd like to be
able to recommend alternatives.

stefanomnn

Hi everyone,

I installed Oracle JDeveloper yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone else
has recent experience with this IDE. Is it worthwhile to try to learn
the product, or should I stick with NB or Eclipse? While I am not
prepared to go back to using an IDE, it seems that in order to stay
current I need to have some level of experience with most of the common
IDEs which exist today. My work has decided to go with a Sun dev
environment, and this means NB so I may focus on that,but I'd like to be
able to recommend alternatives.

Hi, currently i use jdeveloper, and i think it' the best choise if you
have to work with OC4J application server or oracle database. it
offer features such us creating EJB from db table, very very useful.
jdeveloper has also a good support for main frameworks, such as JSF or
struct. at least, there are a lot of examples on oracle site
(otn.oracle.com)
as simple java coding, it' s a bit worse than eclipse, very bad
automatic completition in jsp. but if use oracle db and OC4J, it is
the best i think.

Roedy Green

I installed Oracle JDeveloper yesterday

I have heard it is good product IF you are working with Oracle
databases. Like most of these products, the one you are most familiar
with is the one you can make sit up and beg, and therefore appears
vastly superior to everything else.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html for some of the alternatives.

The one I am using is Jetbrains IntelliJ. Its biggest drawback is the
cost.
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/intellij.html

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

JT said:
I installed Oracle JDeveloper yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone else
has recent experience with this IDE. Is it worthwhile to try to learn
the product, or should I stick with NB or Eclipse? While I am not
prepared to go back to using an IDE, it seems that in order to stay
current I need to have some level of experience with most of the common
IDEs which exist today. My work has decided to go with a Sun dev
environment, and this means NB so I may focus on that,but I'd like to be
able to recommend alternatives.

It is not as widely used as NetBeans and Eclipse, but if you like
it then use it.

If you need (for reasons I do not understand) to know all Java
IDE's for job reasons then you probably should know JDeveloper
and IntelliJ.

Atne