    --
    web http://www.4momo.de
    mail momo.beller at t-online dot de

    Moritz Beller, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Moritz Beller wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > Users with any sort of experience with this book, especially in terms
    > of coding and understanding the code are welcome her.
    >
    > Does it really damage a C++ programmer's coding style as one said on, if
    > I remember correctly, Amazon? Does it cover the main parts to know about
    > and is it well written?
    >
    > best regards,
    > Moritz
    > --
    > web http://www.4momo.de
    > mail momo.beller at t-online dot de

    [Sarcasm On]
    I truly believe that "Mastering Algorithms With C" damages a person's
    C++ coding style. Just as any philosphical view can damage one's
    thinking processes. This is the re primary reason I don't read speed
    limit signs, since they will damage the speed at which I am driving.
    [Sarcasm Off]

    I would hope that most humans are intelligent enough to objectively
    read books and learn from them. Take what you believe will help
    you from the book. If the knowledge doesn't help you, then so mote
    it be. However, one should also read more about the same topic to
    find out what the truth is. My high school physics teacher once
    said, "Truth is consistency." If the content is not correct, then
    learn why and make notes for yourself.

    Apply what you have learned. If it doesn't feel write or "work"
    for you, then learn something else.

    "Do I need permission to step in the puddle?"
    "Is it a deep puddle, a safe puddle, a well rounded puddle?"

    "Just step in it."

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Jun 4, 2004

  3. On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:08:33 GMT
    Thomas Matthews <> wrote:

    > "Just step in it."

    Okay, and I don't even have to pay for it myself :D.

    Moritz Beller

    Moritz Beller, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Moritz Beller

    Alan Balmer Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I would hope that most humans are intelligent enough to objectively
    >read books and learn from them. Take what you believe will help
    >you from the book. If the knowledge doesn't help you, then so mote
    >it be. However, one should also read more about the same topic to
    >find out what the truth is. My high school physics teacher once
    >said, "Truth is consistency." If the content is not correct, then
    >learn why and make notes for yourself.

    Good advice for someone who has the breadth of experience to be
    objective, perhaps not so good for the beginner.

    Some books are better than others. Some books are a liability for the
    beginner.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting

    Alan Balmer, Jun 4, 2004
  5. Moritz Beller

    CBFalconer Guest

    Alan Balmer wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I would hope that most humans are intelligent enough to objectively
    >> read books and learn from them. Take what you believe will help
    >> you from the book. If the knowledge doesn't help you, then so mote
    >> it be. However, one should also read more about the same topic to
    >> find out what the truth is. My high school physics teacher once
    >> said, "Truth is consistency." If the content is not correct, then
    >> learn why and make notes for yourself.

    > Good advice for someone who has the breadth of experience to be
    > objective, perhaps not so good for the beginner.
    >
    > Some books are better than others. Some books are a liability for
    > the beginner.

    Why don't you just come out and specify BullSchildt.

    --
    "The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry
    is its continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering

    CBFalconer, Jun 4, 2004
  6. Moritz Beller

    Dan Pop Guest

    Schildt (was Re: O'Reilly book: Mastering algorithms with C)

    In <> CBFalconer <> writes:

    >Alan Balmer wrote:
    >>
    >> Some books are better than others. Some books are a liability for
    >> the beginner.

    >Why don't you just come out and specify BullSchildt.

    Probably because he has plenty of competition.

    Come to think of it, it's been years since I've seen a newbie mention one
    of his books. All the recent references to Schildt came from regulars...
    Are his books (finally) out of print or what?

    The more recent references from newbies were to books like "C for Idiots"
    and "Learn C in X Seconds".

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Jun 7, 2004
  7. Re: Schildt (was Re: O'Reilly book: Mastering algorithms with C)

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Dan Pop wrote:

    > In <> CBFalconer <> writes:
    >
    > >Alan Balmer wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Some books are better than others. Some books are a liability for
    > >> the beginner.

    > >Why don't you just come out and specify BullSchildt.

    > Probably because he has plenty of competition.
    >
    > Come to think of it, it's been years since I've seen a newbie mention one
    > of his books. All the recent references to Schildt came from regulars...
    > Are his books (finally) out of print or what?

    Many of his books are out of print. The books that have an OS in the
    title, e.g. C Programming for Windows NT, are out of print. Many of his
    books are still in print. He has a style of writing that many enjoy. It is
    too bad that he is technically inaccurate.

    Last newbie posting I saw was around April of this year. I've noticed that
    Schildt is getting translated to different languages. I tend to see
    newbies from German, Spain, South America, etc. posting about his books.

    > The more recent references from newbies were to books like "C for Idiots"
    > and "Learn C in X Seconds".

    Fortunately there are more references to Dietel & Dietel or K.N.King then
    to these other books.

    > Dan
    > --
    > Dan Pop
    > DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    > Email:

    Don't send e-mail to

    Darrell Grainger, Jun 7, 2004
  8. Moritz Beller

    CBFalconer Guest

    Dan Pop wrote:
    > CBFalconer <> writes:
    >> Alan Balmer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Some books are better than others. Some books are a liability
    >>> for the beginner.

    >> Why don't you just come out and specify BullSchildt.

    > Probably because he has plenty of competition.
    >
    > Come to think of it, it's been years since I've seen a newbie
    > mention one of his books. All the recent references to Schildt
    > came from regulars... Are his books (finally) out of print or
    > what?

    I believe he is devoting himself to C++ these days, based on what
    I see on bookstore shelves.

    --
    A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?