O'Reilly book: Mastering algorithms with C

Moritz Beller

Hello!

Users with any sort of experience with this book, especially in terms
of coding and understanding the code are welcome her.

Does it really damage a C++ programmer's coding style as one said on, if
I remember correctly, Amazon? Does it cover the main parts to know about
and is it well written?

best regards,
Moritz

Thomas Matthews

Moritz said:
Hello!

Users with any sort of experience with this book, especially in terms
of coding and understanding the code are welcome her.

Does it really damage a C++ programmer's coding style as one said on, if
I remember correctly, Amazon? Does it cover the main parts to know about
and is it well written?

best regards,
Moritz

[Sarcasm On]
I truly believe that "Mastering Algorithms With C" damages a person's
C++ coding style. Just as any philosphical view can damage one's
thinking processes. This is the re primary reason I don't read speed
limit signs, since they will damage the speed at which I am driving.
[Sarcasm Off]

I would hope that most humans are intelligent enough to objectively
read books and learn from them. Take what you believe will help
you from the book. If the knowledge doesn't help you, then so mote
it be. However, one should also read more about the same topic to
find out what the truth is. My high school physics teacher once
said, "Truth is consistency." If the content is not correct, then
learn why and make notes for yourself.

Apply what you have learned. If it doesn't feel write or "work"
for you, then learn something else.

"Do I need permission to step in the puddle?"
"Is it a deep puddle, a safe puddle, a well rounded puddle?"

"Just step in it."

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Alan Balmer

I would hope that most humans are intelligent enough to objectively
read books and learn from them. Take what you believe will help
you from the book. If the knowledge doesn't help you, then so mote
it be. However, one should also read more about the same topic to
find out what the truth is. My high school physics teacher once
said, "Truth is consistency." If the content is not correct, then
learn why and make notes for yourself.

Good advice for someone who has the breadth of experience to be
objective, perhaps not so good for the beginner.

Some books are better than others. Some books are a liability for the
beginner.

CBFalconer

Alan said:
Good advice for someone who has the breadth of experience to be
objective, perhaps not so good for the beginner.

Some books are better than others. Some books are a liability for
the beginner.

Why don't you just come out and specify BullSchildt.

Dan Pop

In said:
Why don't you just come out and specify BullSchildt.

Probably because he has plenty of competition.

Come to think of it, it's been years since I've seen a newbie mention one
of his books. All the recent references to Schildt came from regulars...
Are his books (finally) out of print or what?

The more recent references from newbies were to books like "C for Idiots"
and "Learn C in X Seconds".

Dan

Darrell Grainger

Probably because he has plenty of competition.

Come to think of it, it's been years since I've seen a newbie mention one
of his books. All the recent references to Schildt came from regulars...
Are his books (finally) out of print or what?

Many of his books are out of print. The books that have an OS in the
title, e.g. C Programming for Windows NT, are out of print. Many of his
books are still in print. He has a style of writing that many enjoy. It is
too bad that he is technically inaccurate.

Last newbie posting I saw was around April of this year. I've noticed that
Schildt is getting translated to different languages. I tend to see
newbies from German, Spain, South America, etc. posting about his books.
The more recent references from newbies were to books like "C for Idiots"
and "Learn C in X Seconds".

Fortunately there are more references to Dietel & Dietel or K.N.King then
to these other books.

CBFalconer

Dan said:
Probably because he has plenty of competition.

Come to think of it, it's been years since I've seen a newbie
mention one of his books. All the recent references to Schildt
came from regulars... Are his books (finally) out of print or
what?

I believe he is devoting himself to C++ these days, based on what
I see on bookstore shelves.