OS X gems do not appear in install list (Leopard)

Julian Raschke

Hi,

I am struggling to release an OS X gem (for which I wanted to post the
ANN days ago :(). I actually think I released it, but none of the OS X
versions of my gem (gosu) show up when I run 'sudo gem install gosu'
on vanilla Leopard; it only presents the 'win32' versions.

All previous versions had a platform of 'universal-darwin8.0' in the
spec, so I thought I'd re-upload the latest gem with 'universal-
darwin9.0', which didn't help any. I can see all gems on rubyforge's
gem file list, I can download and install them, they just don't show
up in the install list.

Unfortunately the docs for RubyGems are so sketchy that I guessed a
lot of things (e.g. the platform string). Is there anything I'm
missing? Is Leopard's gem broken and can it be updated?

TIA,
Julian

James Edward Gray II

I am struggling to release an OS X gem (for which I wanted to post the
ANN days ago :(). I actually think I released it, but none of the OS X
versions of my gem (gosu) show up when I run 'sudo gem install gosu'
on vanilla Leopard; it only presents the 'win32' versions.

I'm betting that the gem needs to be built as a "Universal Binary" to
work with Leopard's built-in Ruby. Or something similar.

While it doesn't directly answer your question, see if the first
answer on this page gives you some fresh ideas:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/ruby/wiki/Troubleshooting

James Edward Gray II

Julian Raschke

I'm betting that the gem needs to be built as a "Universal Binary" to
work with Leopard's built-in Ruby. Or something similar.

It is a precompiled Universal Binary (built with SWIG and Xcode), and
works as expected when installed. I'd guess gem doesn't even check the
binary format, or the platform string, because it shows all the win32
gems.

Do you know any precompiled binary gems that I could take a look at to
check for differences?

Julian

James Edward Gray II

It is a precompiled Universal Binary (built with SWIG and Xcode), and
works as expected when installed. I'd guess gem doesn't even check the
binary format, or the platform string, because it shows all the win32
gems.

OK, this proves I had no idea what I was talking about. ;)
Do you know any precompiled binary gems that I could take a look at to
check for differences?

Good question. No, I don't.

Perhaps this is a good discussion for the RubyGems mailing list?

James Edward Gray II

Laurent Sansonetti

I am struggling to release an OS X gem (for which I wanted to post the
ANN days ago :(). I actually think I released it, but none of the OS X
versions of my gem (gosu) show up when I run 'sudo gem install gosu'
on vanilla Leopard; it only presents the 'win32' versions.

All previous versions had a platform of 'universal-darwin8.0' in the
spec, so I thought I'd re-upload the latest gem with 'universal-
darwin9.0', which didn't help any. I can see all gems on rubyforge's
gem file list, I can download and install them, they just don't show
up in the install list.

Unfortunately the docs for RubyGems are so sketchy that I guessed a
lot of things (e.g. the platform string). Is there anything I'm
missing? Is Leopard's gem broken and can it be updated?

I reproduce the problem:

$ sudo gem install gosu
Password:
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Select which gem to install for your platform (universal-darwin9.0)
1. gosu 0.7.7 (mswin32)
2. gosu 0.7.6.1 (mswin32)
3. gosu 0.7.6 (mswin32)
4. gosu 0.7.5.1 (mswin32)
5. Skip this gem
6. Cancel installation

Only mswin32 versions are shown. I don't know why, but I don't think
it is a problem with the Leopard installation of RubyGems. You should
definitely move the discussion to the RubyGems list.

Laurent

Laurent Sansonetti

I reproduce the problem:

$ sudo gem install gosu
Password:
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Select which gem to install for your platform (universal-darwin9.0)
1. gosu 0.7.7 (mswin32)
2. gosu 0.7.6.1 (mswin32)
3. gosu 0.7.6 (mswin32)
4. gosu 0.7.5.1 (mswin32)
5. Skip this gem
6. Cancel installation

Only mswin32 versions are shown. I don't know why, but I don't think
it is a problem with the Leopard installation of RubyGems. You should
definitely move the discussion to the RubyGems list.

Maybe it is http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2007-November/003224.html

Laurent

Julian Raschke

Perhaps this is a good discussion for the RubyGems mailing list?
From looking at the RubyGems page, I didn't even know it existed :)
Thanks a lot, posting it there now.

Julian

7

7stud --

Laurent said:
I reproduce the problem:

$ sudo gem install gosu
Password:
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org

If I may ask a question of my own: that 'bulk updating' happens 8 out of
10 times when I issue the command

$ gem query -rn gemname

and the bulk updating takes about 5 minutes. Is there anyway to prevent
that?

imac os 10.4.7