    portible curses library with a less strigent license than ncurses?

    Thanks, and again: sorry about being OT.

    DrX

    Xenos, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Xenos wrote:

    > Sorry, this is OT, but I'm not sure where I can ask this. Please response
    > with a more appropriate news group, web site, etc., if you can.
    >
    > I am writing a C++ console app. that needs to gleen info about the windows
    > dimensions, manipulate the cursor position, etc. What would be the most
    > portable solution, so I can build if for MS-DOS, Windows, Linux, and
    > Solaris? ANSI (escape sequences)? Curses? What else is there? Is there a
    > portible curses library with a less strigent license than ncurses?
    >
    > Thanks, and again: sorry about being OT.
    >
    > DrX

    Learn to use a web search engine. By searching this newsgroup and
    news:comp.programming, you can find many suggestions for Windowing
    libraries that are also portable to more than one platform.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Xenos

    c wood Guest

    Re: console program

    "Xenos" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, this is OT, but I'm not sure where I can ask this. Please response
    > with a more appropriate news group, web site, etc., if you can.
    >
    > I am writing a C++ console app. that needs to gleen info about the windows
    > dimensions, manipulate the cursor position, etc. What would be the most
    > portable solution, so I can build if for MS-DOS, Windows, Linux, and
    > Solaris? ANSI (escape sequences)? Curses? What else is there? Is there

    > portible curses library with a less strigent license than ncurses?
    >
    > Thanks, and again: sorry about being OT.

    make some functions:

    get_screen_dimensions();
    set_cursor(x,y)
    outtext(x,y,string);

    Implement them for one system, for the next, and so forth. It's not
    that much coding to figure it out. So long as your app uses your function
    library, the real code should be compatible with each version of it.

    /* OT */
    Did this for DOS & win32 (wincon) myself, and it's very seamless. Just
    a compile time define sets the OS, same source, and nice. Well, as nice as
    a console apps with cursors & such can be these days.

    /* End OT */

    c wood, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Xenos

    Xenos Guest

    "Thomas Matthews" <> wrote in
    message news:pnKyb.32937$...
    > Learn to use a web search engine. By searching this newsgroup and
    > news:comp.programming, you can find many suggestions for Windowing
    > libraries that are also portable to more than one platform.

    Learn to be a little less rude. I swear out of all the newsgroups I read,
    the C & C++ ones are the only ones where every one is rude, nasty, and anal
    about OT questions and replay formats. I would think that the most
    intelligent amongst us with be here.

    My question was geared toward getting advice from people with experience in
    what I need to do; something which is hard to accomplish (and I've tried)
    using a search engine. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking an
    off-topic question when it is asking for pointers to resources that are
    on-topic.

    DrX

    Xenos, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Xenos

    red floyd Guest

    Xenos wrote:

    > "Thomas Matthews" <> wrote in
    > message news:pnKyb.32937$...
    >
    >>Learn to use a web search engine. By searching this newsgroup and
    >>news:comp.programming, you can find many suggestions for Windowing
    >>libraries that are also portable to more than one platform.
    >>

    > Learn to be a little less rude. I swear out of all the newsgroups I read,
    > the C & C++ ones are the only ones where every one is rude, nasty, and anal
    > about OT questions and replay formats. I would think that the most
    > intelligent amongst us with be here.
    >
    > My question was geared toward getting advice from people with experience in
    > what I need to do; something which is hard to accomplish (and I've tried)
    > using a search engine. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking an
    > off-topic question when it is asking for pointers to resources that are
    > on-topic.

    While some of the posters can be a bit abrupt, when the FAQ specifically states that this is a newsgroup for the STANDARD C++
    LANGUAGE, and people keep posting stuff that is platform specific (n.b. maybe there should be a comp.programming.cross-platform),
    how else are they to keep the signal/noise ratio down to a reasonable level? Otherwise, this ng would be nothing but, "How do I
    create my Windows Dialog Box?"

    red floyd, Dec 1, 2003
  6. Xenos

    Xenos Guest

    "red floyd" <> wrote in message
    > While some of the posters can be a bit abrupt, when the FAQ specifically

    states that this is a newsgroup for the STANDARD C++
    > LANGUAGE, and people keep posting stuff that is platform specific (n.b.

    maybe there should be a comp.programming.cross-platform),
    > how else are they to keep the signal/noise ratio down to a reasonable

    level? Otherwise, this ng would be nothing but, "How do I
    > create my Windows Dialog Box?"

    Understood, but that's an extreme. I don't think its wrong to come to a
    place with C++ people gather to ask for pointers to places with info on a
    C++ library. Its a big difference between asking "Can anyone direct my to
    info on X?" and "Can you explain X to me?" I'd have no problem asking the
    guy at the gas station, "where's a good place to have my car looked at?" I
    would not ask him to actually look at my car. Still, some people behavior
    is childish and despicable. Its like having the big mouth behind me in line
    yell out, "hey, get out of *my* gas station and drive around searching 'til
    ya find someone to fix you car!" We shouldn't have to put up with that
    jerk, where here or in real life.

    I knew my question was off-topic. I marked the subject as such, so one
    could easily ignore it or filter it out. And I apologized twice for it in
    the text.

    'nuff said.

    DrX

    Xenos, Dec 1, 2003
  7. Xenos <> wrote:
    > Sorry, this is OT, but I'm not sure where I can ask this. Please response

    it is off-topic.

    > with a more appropriate news group, web site, etc., if you can.

    > I am writing a C++ console app. that needs to gleen info about the windows
    > dimensions, manipulate the cursor position, etc. What would be the most
    > portable solution, so I can build if for MS-DOS, Windows, Linux, and
    > Solaris? ANSI (escape sequences)? Curses? What else is there? Is there a
    > portible curses library with a less strigent license than ncurses?

    "stringent" would be the assumed spelling, but ncurses' license is not that.

    (again, that is off-topic)

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

    Thomas Dickey, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Xenos

    Fao, Sean Guest

    Xenos wrote:
    > "red floyd" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>While some of the posters can be a bit abrupt, when the FAQ specifically

    > states that this is a newsgroup for the STANDARD C++
    >
    >>LANGUAGE, and people keep posting stuff that is platform specific (n.b.

    > maybe there should be a comp.programming.cross-platform),
    >
    >>how else are they to keep the signal/noise ratio down to a reasonable

    > level? Otherwise, this ng would be nothing but, "How do I
    >
    >>create my Windows Dialog Box?"
    >>

    > Understood, but that's an extreme. I don't think its wrong to come to a
    > place with C++ people gather to ask for pointers to places with info on a
    > C++ library. Its a big difference between asking "Can anyone direct my to
    > info on X?" and "Can you explain X to me?" I'd have no problem asking the
    > guy at the gas station, "where's a good place to have my car looked at?" I
    > would not ask him to actually look at my car. Still, some people behavior
    > is childish and despicable. Its like having the big mouth behind me in line
    > yell out, "hey, get out of *my* gas station and drive around searching 'til
    > ya find someone to fix you car!" We shouldn't have to put up with that
    > jerk, where here or in real life.
    >
    > I knew my question was off-topic. I marked the subject as such, so one
    > could easily ignore it or filter it out. And I apologized twice for it in
    > the text.

    I agree that a comp.programming.cross-platform newsgroup would be
    beneficial to Usenet but since we don't have one, my first guess would
    be to stop at comp.programming (after searching Google). Whether it is
    on or off-topic for that newsgroup, I don't personally know, but I do
    know that in my experience, the cross-platform questions are generally
    more accepted there. Maybe somebody reading this message would like to
    take on the responsibility of having a comp.programming.cross-platform
    newsgroup created.

    Sean

    Fao, Sean, Dec 2, 2003
  9. Xenos

    Xenos Guest

    "Thomas Dickey" <> wrote in message

    > "stringent" would be the assumed spelling, but ncurses' license is not

    that.

    > (again, that is off-topic)
    >
    > --
    > Thomas E. Dickey
    > http://invisible-island.net
    > ftp://invisible-island.net

    Yes, sorry, I posted this after reading on a site (I believe is was the GNU
    homepage) that it was under the GPL license. But then I was read more
    in-depth on the ncurse homepage that is incorrect. Sorry about any
    continuation of that misconception.

    DrX

    Xenos, Dec 2, 2003