    I'm not surprised that some idiot has done such a thing, but I am
    surprised that Google allows people to be signed up without any checking.

    -- Richard
    Richard Tobin, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Richard Tobin wrote:
    > I find I am receiving lots of unwanted mail because someone called
    > "" has apparently arranged for me to be mailed
    > all the messages sent to a Google Group called "Programmer's HQ" which
    > he advertised (with a different name) in comp.lang.c a few weeks ago.
    >
    > I'm not surprised that some idiot has done such a thing, but I am
    > surprised that Google allows people to be signed up without any checking.

    I already reported that to their abuse desks, but haven't gotten an answer
    except from some automated answering system. Please do the same, this
    behaviour is untenable.

    Uli
    Ulrich Eckhardt, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Richard Tobin

    Tim Prince Guest

    Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
    > Richard Tobin wrote:
    >
    >>I find I am receiving lots of unwanted mail because someone called
    >>"" has apparently arranged for me to be mailed
    >>all the messages sent to a Google Group called "Programmer's HQ" which
    >>he advertised (with a different name) in comp.lang.c a few weeks ago.
    >>
    >>I'm not surprised that some idiot has done such a thing, but I am
    >>surprised that Google allows people to be signed up without any checking.

    > I already reported that to their abuse desks, but haven't gotten an answer
    > except from some automated answering system. Please do the same, this
    > behaviour is untenable.
    >
    > Uli

    I got a slightly more personalized answer from them, saying
    (paraphrased) they don't know how to control abusive use of their
    service, and don't make any attempt. If you can determine the ISP of
    the submittor, report the abuse to them as well. If that ISP doesn't
    show up, with headers turned on, it's clearly spam, not that I know how
    to set a filter accordingly.
    Tim Prince, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Richard Tobin

    Thad Smith Guest

    Richard Tobin wrote:

    > I find I am receiving lots of unwanted mail because someone called
    > "" has apparently arranged for me to be mailed
    > all the messages sent to a Google Group called "Programmer's HQ" which
    > he advertised (with a different name) in comp.lang.c a few weeks ago.

    I received the same. Besides being signed up without permission, I was
    dismayed that Google doesn't identify the group in the subject line,
    like Yahoo does.

    Thad
    Thad Smith, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Richard Tobin

    Zara Guest

    On 3 Oct 2005 17:01:56 GMT, (Richard Tobin)
    wrote:

    >I find I am receiving lots of unwanted mail because someone called
    >"" has apparently arranged for me to be mailed
    >all the messages sent to a Google Group called "Programmer's HQ" which
    >he advertised (with a different name) in comp.lang.c a few weeks ago.
    >
    >I'm not surprised that some idiot has done such a thing, but I am
    >surprised that Google allows people to be signed up without any checking.
    >
    >-- Richard

    I signed into the group, and the signed out of it. It works, no more
    messages.

    BTW, I think this group is more the caprice of a childish student more
    than a malicious attempt to spam.
    Zara, Oct 4, 2005
  6. Richard Tobin wrote:
    > I find I am receiving lots of unwanted mail because someone called
    > "" has apparently arranged for me to be mailed
    > all the messages sent to a Google Group called "Programmer's HQ" which
    > he advertised (with a different name) in comp.lang.c a few weeks ago.

    I was signed up and I know of others here that were as well. I was
    actually made a supervisor/admin of the group, all without any say from
    myself. I sent an email to "anoopkammaran" indicating I wanted nothing
    to do with his silly venture and unsubscribed from the group, no more
    emails.

    > I'm not surprised that some idiot has done such a thing, but I am
    > surprised that Google allows people to be signed up without any checking.

    Given what Google has done to the medium so far I am not at all
    surprised.

    Robert Gamble
    Robert Gamble, Oct 4, 2005
  7. Richard Tobin

    Guest

    1. You can help yourself avoid this kind of problem by going to
    "manage your subscriptions" on the Google Groups website and making
    sure that the box that allows a group owner to simply put you in a
    group without your agreeing is not checked.

    2. I am not sure what legitimate purpose is served by ever allowing
    group owners to make people members of a group without their permission
    outside of a work environment. It might connect to some approach to
    advertising or facilitating the creation of user groups, but it seems
    much too subject to abuse. The opt-out mechanism, although not hidden,
    is also not obvious and forces a user to come to the Google Groups
    site. Google needs to change this approach and find some other way to
    make money from making Google Groups available for free.
    , Oct 4, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >1. You can help yourself avoid this kind of problem by going to
    >"manage your subscriptions" on the Google Groups website and making
    >sure that the box that allows a group owner to simply put you in a
    >group without your agreeing is not checked.

    How can I "manage my subscriptions" when I don't have any?

    -- Richard
    Richard Tobin, Oct 4, 2005
  9. Richard Tobin <> schrieb:

    > How can I "manage my subscriptions" when I don't have any?

    How would you go about writing something on a piece of paper,
    if you hadn't any?

    Get some (paper)? (or 'a subscription' in this case).

    Markus
    Markus Becker, Oct 5, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    Markus Becker <> wrote:
    >Get some (paper)? (or 'a subscription' in this case).

    Are you seriously suggesting I should subscribe to the company that's
    spamming me so I can ask them not to?

    -- Richard
    Richard Tobin, Oct 5, 2005
  11. Richard Tobin

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 04:12:11 +0200, Markus Becker <>
    wrote:

    >Richard Tobin <> schrieb:
    >
    >> How can I "manage my subscriptions" when I don't have any?

    >How would you go about writing something on a piece of paper,
    >if you hadn't any?
    >
    >Get some (paper)? (or 'a subscription' in this case).
    >
    >Markus

    WTF? Is Google running a protection racket? You have to sign up with
    them to be protected from their groupies?
    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, Oct 5, 2005
  12. Richard Tobin

    Guest

    Richard Tobin wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Markus Becker <> wrote:
    > >Get some (paper)? (or 'a subscription' in this case).

    > Are you seriously suggesting I should subscribe to the company that's
    > spamming me so I can ask them not to?

    Oh perish the thought you have to do something to help yourself! How
    about spamming sci.math with your problems, that'll work. Duh...
    , Oct 6, 2005
  13. Richard Tobin

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On 6 Oct 2005 09:38:37 -0700, wrote:

    >Richard Tobin wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Markus Becker <> wrote:
    >> >Get some (paper)? (or 'a subscription' in this case).

    >> Are you seriously suggesting I should subscribe to the company that's
    >> spamming me so I can ask them not to?
    >>

    >Oh perish the thought you have to do something to help yourself! How
    >about spamming sci.math with your problems, that'll work. Duh...

    Hmm... Perhaps I should help myself by simply filtering all mail which
    originates from googlegroups.com. That would work, and eliminate a
    bunch of clueless posters, as well.
    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, Oct 6, 2005
  14. On 6 Oct 2005 09:38:37 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
    wrote:

    >Richard Tobin wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Markus Becker <> wrote:
    >> >Get some (paper)? (or 'a subscription' in this case).

    >> Are you seriously suggesting I should subscribe to the company that's
    >> spamming me so I can ask them not to?

    >Oh perish the thought you have to do something to help yourself! How
    >about spamming sci.math with your problems, that'll work. Duh...

    So you /are/ seriously suggesting that one should subscribe to the
    spammer's mailing list, in order to ask them not to spam you.

    What a cretinous thing to suggest.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Oct 6, 2005