[OT] Linux

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
But I need concrete advice within the next days.
I need Linux to post to NGs and to send and receive e-mails because Linux,
as far as I understand,
is much safer for that.
Could I save the OS into a CD, format the harddisk and afterwards upload the
OS?

alt.os.linux

Luigi Donatello Asero

Leonard Blaisdell said:
Umm...

leo

So, she seems to be in the Mac community.
But what about the others who have supported Linux for so many years?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
So, she seems to be in the Mac community.
But what about the others who have supported Linux for so many years?

Do they not do that any longer?

Leonard Blaisdell

But what about the others who have supported Linux for so many years?

You are already set up to run Linux on your machine. Why bother to buy
*another machine*? It doesn't make sense. dorayme doesn't know what
she's talking about. Any Mac group she may throw out at you will be dull
and lifeless. Macs suck!

disingenuous leo

Luigi Donatello Asero

Leonard Blaisdell said:
You are already set up to run Linux on your machine. Why bother to buy
*another machine*? It doesn't make sense. dorayme doesn't know what
she's talking about. Any Mac group she may throw out at you will be dull
and lifeless. Macs suck!

disingenuous leo

As far as I have heard, Mac is very good but expensive. My purpose is
to make still use of this old PC and in a safer way.
that´s why I want to try Linux
What I referred above had to do with that I had not got, yet any concrete
answers since I had asked my questions.
Meanwhile I have got some and I hope that there will be many coming because
I know very little on this subject.
As to e-mails, I am even having problems now by using Outlook Express and
this is not the first time I have got them.
Of course, one solution for that might be to use webmails.
Again, I am going to use WinXP to upload files to my websites at least at
the beginning.
There are also other things which are not currently supported by Linux which
I am going to do by using Win XP, then.

Luigi Donatello Asero

As far as I have heard, Mac is very good but expensive. My purpose is
to make still use of this old PC and in a safer way.
that´s why I want to try Linux
What I referred above had to do with that I had not got, yet any concrete
answers since I had asked my questions.
Meanwhile I have got some and I hope that there will be many coming because
I know very little on this subject.
As to e-mails, I am even having problems now by using Outlook Express and
this is not the first time I have got them.
Of course, one solution for that might be to use webmails.
Again, I am going to use WinXP to upload files to my websites at least at
the beginning.
There are also other things which are not currently supported by Linux
which
I am going to do by using Win XP, then.

By the way, another problem which I have is how to resize photos and the
like.
I am not sure whether the softwares which I use on Win 98 can be used on
WinXP.

cwdjrxyz

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

As to e-mails, I am even having problems now by using Outlook Express and
this is not the first time I have got them.
Of course, one solution for that might be to use webmails.

To each their own, but I never use my Windows XP with Outlook Express
for email or NG posts. In fact I have Outlook express disabled and
never have used it. Some call it the "worm tube". I do have domain
mail. However what I use as a basis for email is Yahoo mail. They have
a very large capacity, and you can always download part or all of your
mail to the computer when you wish. Yahoo mail has very good filters
that you can set in many ways. It also does a virus scan before it will
open an attachment. I pop domain mail and 2 other mail accounts over to
Yahoo mail and read everything there. I also find Google groups
sufficient for my needs for posting to NGs. I do not bother with
elaborate configurations to reject this and that. If I don't like a
subject or the author, I just don't read the post. You have to have an
active mail address to post at Google groups, but once you are
authorized to post, you can set your email address used for posts to
reject all incoming mail, if you want to avoid spam. I had rather have
people respond to the group. If they want to email me often, I can give
them a temporary email address at another account. Here is where domain
mail comes in handy, because I can create or delete a mail account in
under a minute, and configure it to accept only mail from a list or not
accept any incoming mail at all. My point is that if you want some
other OS, fine. If nothing else, it allows you to use a wider range of
browsers to check how your pages appear on them. However you can likely
get by with what you have unless you have special needs that require
very elaborate configuration for you mail and NG reading and posts.

dorayme

Leonard Blaisdell said:
You are already set up to run Linux on your machine. Why bother to buy
*another machine*? It doesn't make sense. dorayme doesn't know what
she's talking about. Any Mac group she may throw out at you will be dull
and lifeless. Macs suck!

disingenuous leo

Luigi, Leo is just wanting to keep the Mac community very very
exclusive. He guards it jealously. There is one point of concern
I share with him: if you come in, maybe every Italian in Sweden
will want in and then where will we be? Absolutely flooded. The
Mac community has never had a rush (a rush? a rash?) of
Italians-in-Sweden. I can understand this.

Of course you do not need another machine, that good 'ol fightin'
woman in me knows that! Ha!

You are going to make life very complicated for yourself, you are
not a young man any more, Luigi, my men have reported back to me
on everything and I want to protect you. Just go to XP, put in
all the security updates and virus protectors (all tax deductable
in Sweden) and stuff and Bob could very easily be your uncle...

Live a little wildly even, let go a bit, maybe put in no
security... I am not suggesting you should go as far as like
Kirk Douglas did in The Arrangement when he let go the wheel of
his car in a high speed tunnel...even figuratively, of course,
not in your little Fiat.

May I rave a bit? God almighty, David Dorward is not wrong about
centering things not being trivial, I am struggling to center a
div in which I have a lot of little floats and I want that each
row is centered without knowing how big anyone is going to open
the container... The difficulty is that when there is not enough
room on the right, they wrap to the next line and all are very
neat but there is now a space on the right that obviously is for
nothing. It is not that I mind empty spaces - I am a keen
defender of emptiness generally - but here it is not just empty,
it is empty in a positive way. It is like the silence in the
world after we have all been badly nuked. It is a positive
nothing. One easy "solution" is to make the little floating divs
very small so that a bit of a space is hardly noticed. But if a
ruddy great 150px can't fit on the right, it will wrap to the
left and as much as 149px will appear as wasted space on the
right. If I cannot solve, I give a url and Korpela will have to
come charging to the rescue. It is as simple as that. You see now
Luigi, why i am happily diverted by your latest idea. What I am
doing otherwise is painful. But how magnificent it will be when
it is finished!

Leonard Blaisdell

dorayme said:
Luigi, Leo is just wanting to keep the Mac community very very
exclusive. He guards it jealously.

*You're* *not* *helping*! On the other hand, why was I responding to
Eliza again?

leo

Stuart Miller

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am considering switching from Windows 98 into Linux to post to NGs and
e-mail in some days/1-2 weeks and I wonder whether some of you would like
sum it up where I could download the OS and which parts I would need
download, given the above mentioned needs.
Please consider that I know very little about Linux.
Drop in on alt.os.linux mandrake and alt.os.linux.mandriva ( their new name)
Lots of good people post there - lots of help and support

Then choose which distribution you would like.

I started using mandrake about 4 years ago - I only use windows when I have

Stuart

Blinky the Shark

Stuart said:
Drop in on alt.os.linux mandrake and alt.os.linux.mandriva ( their new
name) Lots of good people post there - lots of help and support

Hey, stop it. I do those two groups... ;)
Then choose which distribution you would like.

SUSE. SUSE! :)
I started using mandrake about 4 years ago - I only use windows when I
have to

Are you dual-booting? Did you ever? I did for a year, before I dumped
Windows while I was doing a major hardware upgrade (CPU, mobo, mem).

Ben C

I am considering switching from Windows 98 into Linux to post to NGs and
e-mail in some days/1-2 weeks and I wonder whether some of you would like to
sum it up where I could download the OS and which parts I would need
download, given the above mentioned needs.
Please consider that I know very little about Linux.

With Linux practically all the distributions aleady come with literally
thousands of packages to do just about everything.

For example, on my SUSE system I have at least four each different
newsreaders and e-mail clients to choose from.

You can look at openSUSE here:

http://it.opensuse.org/Benvenuto_su_openSUSE.org

It's all free in all senses and includes everything for e-mail and news
and is easy to install. Many other distributions are just as good.

Basically you download a CD image, make a CD, and then boot off it and
follow the instructions. By default it leaves Windows there and gives
you a dual boot machine, but you can configure it not to.

Ben C

On 2006-10-24 said:
May I rave a bit? God almighty, David Dorward is not wrong about
centering things not being trivial, I am struggling to center a
div in which I have a lot of little floats and I want that each
row is centered without knowing how big anyone is going to open
the container... The difficulty is that when there is not enough
room on the right, they wrap to the next line and all are very
neat but there is now a space on the right that obviously is for
nothing.

It sounds like you want a centered, shrink-to-fit container for the
floats.

The only ways to do centered and shrink-to-fit we could come up with the
other day (see recent thread called something like "Centering a float")
are with a table or display: inline-block (or inline-table would also
work), but inline-block is not supported by FF.

Andy Dingley

Luigi said:
I am considering switching from Windows 98 into Linux to post to NGs and
e-mail

Usenet doesn't work with Linux computers. Nor with any other Unix.
Don't even try it.

Email is flakey too. Stick with Windows and Outlook, they're the best
for email. Yes, indeed.

Or if you do try it, please don't bother a HTML newsgroup about the
problems that Linux has with you, and all the ways in which they've
done it wrongly.

Gav

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am considering switching from Windows 98 into Linux to post to NGs and
e-mail in some days/1-2 weeks and I wonder whether some of you would like
sum it up where I could download the OS and which parts I would need
download, given the above mentioned needs.
Please consider that I know very little about Linux.

If you know how to I would dual boot your machine leaving your Win 98
intact, then you can use Win 98 or Linux. That way if you find Linux is not
to your taste then you can go back with little effort, plus if you get stuck
you can use Win 98 until you figure things out.

Linux is great I have been using it for years now but I still use XP on a
regular basis for development work and to use the Plextor Plextools software
which has no Linux version.

As for what distro, I am currently using "Fedora Core 5", "OpenSuse 10.1",
"Mandriva 2005" and "FreeBSD" (not Linux but similar). My favourite by far
FreeBSD but it is not for the beginner, I mention it because on an old
machine it will run far better than the others and you may like to try it in
the future. Out of the other three I find Fedora and OpenSuse to be the
better at the moment but to be honest you cant really go that wrong with any
of them. You don't mention the spec of your machine but I'm guessing it is
fairly old, don't expect Linux to run really quickly on an old machine
unless you are going to use some very basic window managers and plenty of
memory is also a good idea.

If I where you I would try OpenSuse as a starting point with possibly KDE
(windows like desktop) or Gnome (Mac like desktop) although these maybe a
bit slow depending on your hardware. Using Windows is easy all the decisions
have been made for you, using Linux can be more difficult because of the
vast choice but I like this aspect as do lots of others. My current setups
are at the bottom of the post to give you an idea of what I run these OS's
on. Good luck.

Gav

Fedora Core 5 (runs ok, but applications can take a while to open, needs
more memory)

Pentium III 1 GHz
256MB Ram
30GB HDD (all for Fedora)
Using Gnome Environment

Open Suse 10.1 (runs very well no issues)

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (laptop)
1GB Ram
12 GB HDD (for Fedora, running 3 OS's on Laptop. XP for Work, XP for gaming
and Suse)
Using Gnome Environment

Mandriva 2005 (runs ok, only really use LimeWire on here, needs more memory)

Pentium III 750MHz (laptop)
256MB Ram
12GB HDD (all for Mandriva)
Using Gnome Environment

FreeBSD 6.1 or 6.0 (runs great, everything has been compiled to hardware)

AMD Athlon 700
768MB Ram
12GB (for Mandriva, running 3 OS's
Using Gnome

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Luigi, Leo is just wanting to keep the Mac community very very
exclusive. He guards it jealously. There is one point of concern
I share with him: if you come in, maybe every Italian in Sweden
will want in and then where will we be? Absolutely flooded. The
Mac community has never had a rush (a rush? a rash?) of
Italians-in-Sweden. I can understand this.

Of course you do not need another machine, that good 'ol fightin'
woman in me knows that! Ha!

You are going to make life very complicated for yourself, you are
not a young man any more, Luigi, my men have reported back to me
on everything and I want to protect you. Just go to XP, put in
all the security updates and virus protectors (all tax deductable
in Sweden) and stuff and Bob could very easily be your uncle...

No. I had rather not use XP to post here.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Ben C said:
With Linux practically all the distributions aleady come with literally
thousands of packages to do just about everything.

For example, on my SUSE system I have at least four each different
newsreaders and e-mail clients to choose from.

You can look at openSUSE here:

http://it.opensuse.org/Benvenuto_su_openSUSE.org

It's all free in all senses and includes everything for e-mail and news
and is easy to install. Many other distributions are just as good.

Basically you download a CD image, make a CD, and then boot off it and
follow the instructions. By default it leaves Windows there and gives
you a dual boot machine, but you can configure it not to.

Again, why using a dual boot?
It Linux should not work, I could still format HD again and not use this PC
at all or reinstall Win 98.
A dual boot would make the PC more vulnerable, I think.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Gav said:
If you know how to I would dual boot your machine leaving your Win 98
intact, then you can use Win 98 or Linux. That way if you find Linux is not
to your taste then you can go back with little effort, plus if you get stuck
you can use Win 98 until you figure things out.

If I wanted to use Win 98 again, I coud format HD again and reinstall it.
Linux is great I have been using it for years now but I still use XP on a
regular basis for development work and to use the Plextor Plextools software
which has no Linux version.

Perhaps I will use Linux for other things in future as well, but I am not
interested now, because it would take a lot of time to learn them. So, it
would be enough for me to post to NGs and e-mail when I do not use webmail.
As for what distro, I am currently using "Fedora Core 5", "OpenSuse 10.1",
"Mandriva 2005" and "FreeBSD" (not Linux but similar). My favourite by far
FreeBSD but it is not for the beginner, I mention it because on an old
machine it will run far better than the others and you may like to try it in
the future. Out of the other three I find Fedora and OpenSuse to be the
better at the moment but to be honest you cant really go that wrong with any
of them. You don't mention the spec of your machine but I'm guessing it is
fairly old, don't expect Linux to run really quickly on an old machine
unless you are going to use some very basic window managers and plenty of
memory is also a good idea.

I do not need Linux run quickly, on the other hand the fact that I have
little space on the HD suggests that it is better not to use a dual boot,
does it not?
If I where you I would try OpenSuse as a starting point with possibly KDE
(windows like desktop)

Where are they?
Is there a chance to get them on CD?

Gav

If I wanted to use Win 98 again, I coud format HD again and reinstall it.

Fair enough.
I do not need Linux run quickly, on the other hand the fact that I have
little space on the HD suggests that it is better not to use a dual boot,
does it not?

Yes you will obviously need more space to dual boot, if as you say it is
just for e-mail and NG then theres no point dual booting anyway. I'm using
Pan for my newsreader, seems quite good.
Where are they?
Is there a chance to get them on CD?

To Download

www.opensuse.org