OT- Mail list services

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Nov 19, 2007.

  1. Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Nov 19, 2007

  2. Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

    sloan Guest

    Peter,

    Not what you're looking for, but I ended up writing a MSMQ service to let
    out the emails a little more slowly.
    I'm converting it to a WCF service (when I get the time).

    The future WCF service will expose 2 end points.
    One, a web service...for async sending. And backwards compatibility.

    The second, a IsOneWay message to use msmq.

    I've added a config setting to say "pause X ms" between each email send.
    And I added a behavior to use 1 thread.

    It made our internal NetOps people happy (aka, no huge/bulk hits).

    But we do not have file-attaching needs, so simple little emails is all we
    need.

    Anyway, I realize you probably could have come up with that on your own, but
    just sharing.

    Just a note on the old msmq setup. It had to be a synch read from the
    queue..to control the throttling. Experimenting with the async reading of
    the queue, had emails flying all over the place.

    I haven't tested any WCF stuff as it's still in its infancy.

    I've also avoided writing a bunch of proxies as well.
    http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!158.entry

    sloan, Nov 19, 2007

  3. Yep - no, programming isn't the issue. We need to send them "Not" on our own
    ISP cause they get all bent out of shape from the spike in bandwidth. Even if
    we throttled it, I wouldn't risk it with them. Has to be an email service
    with their own host.

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Nov 26, 2007