    Can anyone, speaking from experience, comment on this?

    --
    Rogue Chameleon...

    Rogue Chameleon, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Rogue Chameleon

    Ann Guest

    "Rogue Chameleon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all
    >
    > How much additional functionality exists in WSAD that doesn't exist in
    > Eclipse? I'm thinking of making a move to WSAD and am trying to gauge

    what
    > the learning curve will be.
    >
    > Can anyone, speaking from experience, comment on this?
    >
    > --
    > Rogue Chameleon...

    Is it free?

    Ann, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Thank you for the insightful question..... which I assume is being posed
    tongue-in-cheek.

    I am aware of the cost... but that isn't what I'm trying to understand. I'm
    trying to find out how much more advanced WSAD is than Eclipse.

    --
    Rogue Chameleon...

    Rogue Chameleon, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Rogue Chameleon

    Alex Kizub Guest

    If you will work with WebSphere - that's only choice.
    Of course you can do everything manually (in theory only).
    Actually WSAD is Eclipse full loaded for WebSphere.
    J2EE, EJB, JSP/servlets, WAR, EAR and mostly servers (even Apache).

    And, I'm sure, you are not aware of cost. Cheap editions are not so far from
    Eclipse itself.
    Enterprise edition ... you can by a car for this price. But that's only one
    really full loaded with all features.

    And you cannot imgine how easy then you can work with your Application server.
    Just like you have everything in your pocket (including automatic magic wand).
    In theory, again :(((

    Alex Kizub.

    Alex Kizub, Oct 9, 2004
  5. Rogue Chameleon

    Sudsy Guest

    Alex Kizub wrote:
    <snip>
    > And, I'm sure, you are not aware of cost. Cheap editions are not so far from
    > Eclipse itself.

    <snip>

    US$35K for a Linux platform is a LOOONG way from free...
    YMMV

    --
    Java/J2EE/UNIX consulting and remote development.

    Sudsy, Oct 9, 2004
  6. Rogue Chameleon

    Tom Davies Guest

    Rogue Chameleon wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > How much additional functionality exists in WSAD that doesn't exist in
    > Eclipse? I'm thinking of making a move to WSAD and am trying to gauge what
    > the learning curve will be.
    >
    > Can anyone, speaking from experience, comment on this?

    WSAD is less advanced than Eclipse, in the sense that WSAD is based on
    older versions of Eclipse. It is more advanced if you are using
    Websphere, in that you can configure a test websphere instance and
    deploy to it automatically.

    Tom

    Tom Davies, Oct 9, 2004
  7. "Tom Davies" <> wrote in message

    > WSAD is less advanced than Eclipse, in the sense that WSAD is based on
    > older versions of Eclipse. It is more advanced if you are using
    > Websphere, in that you can configure a test websphere instance and
    > deploy to it automatically.
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks for the clear commentary Tom. I've also heard that WSAD makes
    "enterprise" development a little easier with the introduction of a few
    wizards (for EJBs).... true?

    Rogue Chameleon, Oct 11, 2004