OT: Nested Table Rant

gmcclary

rf said:
<snip rant>

Hmmm. OK.

Yep. I assume this is a cumulative challenge.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/test/pos/right.html

Getting trickier...
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/test/pos/centre.html

png's

Ah, finally something worthy of consideration. Took me a good 5 minutes to
solve this one :)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/test/pos/thumbs.html

Works with IE6 and Mozilla 1.4. Have not checked any others.

Worked in Opera 7.21
<runs and counts &lt;div&gt;'s>

Yep. Maximum <div> nesting level: 3. I could even cheat and use <span
style="display: block"> but that would be cheating.

What is wrong with, for example:

.someclass {width: 12em; margin: auto;} ?

I really think you should go over to http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ , read
it all and then play with it in each of the browsers you are interested in.

Here I am. I never went away.

Looks like I'll have to buy a dog. Er, where exactly are 1st and Main
streets? There not on my map of Sydney :)

Cheers
Richard.

Point taken, lessen learned...
I didn't say I'd kiss your Roo ;-)

Thanks Richard

Glenn

DU

Eric said:
[...] You need MSIE 6 to be in standards compatible
rendering mode. So, here you've got an extra reason why people should
validate their pages and include a doctype declaration

As you wish.

<!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM>
<title/foo/<h1/bar/

validates just fine over here; if it doesn't at your end, fix your
catalog. Doctype Sw^H^HBitching, on the other hand, is a good reason
*not* to include a declaration in productive document instances. Double
your efforts for no benefit at all. Barf, barf.

(preferably a
strict DTD).

Not again; please read not the FAQ.

I'm not changing a single word here of my post. You're reliably
activating standards compliant rendering mode when you include a doctype
declaration (it's mandatory) and you can reliably trigger it when you
use a strict dtd or a strict definition (if that is what you really wish
me to say).

A wide majority of reasonable people would find your nitpicking on
vocabulary out of proportions and sterile. What really matters here is
that 70% of all browsers out there can trigger standards rendering mode
where benefits for both users and web designers are a major issue and a
considerable gain. FYI, web designers (webstandards.org) fought and
pressured during months and years Microsoft so that it would fix the box
model and other css issues like margin:auto (1). Now, that it has been
fixed in MSIE 6 for windows (1), it's all up to web designers to write
their code accordingly. You can bitch and rant as much as you want: the
reality of such responsibility is irrefutable.

According to W3C (2), 99% of all webpages out there are invalid,
incorrectly authored. And google.com has indexed over 3.2 billions
webpages. Now, just examine the whole picture again and compare with
your nitpicking.

Everywhere I see strict.dtd, I see standards [compliant rendering mode]
in a green background line in this page grid:
http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html

So, what's your problem with that??

--
DU

(1):"The auto value of the margin and width properties specifies which
of these properties to adjust when an element's width is
over-constrained—that is, when the style rules overlap or are in
conflict. You can use this value with Internet Explorer 6 or later when
the !DOCTYPE declaration in your document switches on
standards-compliant mode." (...) "If width is set to auto, any other
auto values become 0 and width follows from the resulting equality."
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnie60/html/cssenhancements.asp

(2) "Most of the Web sites on the Web are not valid. We may assume that
this is the case for 99% of the Web pages, but there are no statistics
to support this."
My Web site is standard! And yours?
http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/Web-Quality

rf

Toby A Inkster said:
Damn you! Forgot about that IE wrapper <div>.

/me goes off to sulk...

I havn't checked (or even looked) but could you not apply those wrapper
styles to the <body> element?

That way you win the div war hands down :)

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:05:58 GMT, rf is reported to have
stated:
Hey, he's a *nice* roo. Better than those pesky dog things :)

I still haven't worked out _where_ in Sydney you manage to keep him. There
isn't a lot of space for roos. Unless he lives on the ADI land, and is
about to be culled?

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:06:28 -0000, Hywel Jenkins is reported
to have stated:
Be thankful you don't have to de-frame this:
http://tinyurl.com/syyb

Wow. That's hideous. Really, *really* awful. I'm going to be in therapy
this weekend after seeing that code.

rf

Mark Parnell said:
Sometime around Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:05:58 GMT, rf is reported to have
stated:

I still haven't worked out _where_ in Sydney you manage to keep him.

I live in the north western suburbs, just down the road from the Koala park
http://www.koalaparksanctuary.com.au/myweb2/default.htm

They graciously allow me to agist him there, keeps the Japanese tourists
amused. On weekends we hop over to the Cumberland State Forest for a sojourn
in the scrub and a nice cup of tea at the kiosk.
isn't a lot of space for roos. Unless he lives on the ADI land, and is
about to be culled?

<shudder>culled?</shudder>

Cheers
Richard.

rf

rf said:
I live in the north western suburbs, just down the road from the Koala park
http://www.koalaparksanctuary.com.au/myweb2/default.htm

Hmmm.

I navigated to the relavent page on this site to copy/paste the URL here so
I could show you an image of my roo's little sister and her friends.
However, because the site uses BLOODY FRAMES it did not work. I am reduced
to asking you to activate the above link and then to activate the "Animals"
link on the left hand nav bar on that site.

<advice target="newbies and those asking questions about frames here">
See how bloody annoying frames are and what a bloody mess thay make of
things and why we are so bloody tired of them and wish they would go far
a-bloody-way ?

Frames break one of the fundamental things the net is designed to do: to
allow me to tell you where a nice page is.

Crikey I hate frames!
</advice>

Cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

rf said:
I havn't checked (or even looked) but could you not apply those wrapper
styles to the <body> element?

That way you win the div war hands down :)

Hmmm.... good point.

Isofarro

Eric said:
Doctype Sw^H^HBitching, on the other hand, is a good reason
*not* to include a declaration in productive document instances.

How? I can understand why browsers shouldn't doctype switch. How is not
having a declaration a good thing? (Or are you hinting at an alternative)

Lauri Raittila

In said:

And using CSS2 it would also work on Opera 6.

But that fails the the requirement - it doesn't only use 2 columns
:-( bad requirement )
Using CSS 2, works in IE5+, Mozilla, Netcape and Opera (and doesn't fail
too miserably in IE4):
http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/css-centre-aligned-thumbs-6.html

I thought you had managed to make it fluid, but it was just stupid table
layout imitation, with same limitations. (I tried once to make fluid
version that would work in IE or moz, but failed)

John C

Hmmm.

I navigated to the relavent page on this site to copy/paste the URL here so
I could show you an image of my roo's little sister and her friends.
However, because the site uses BLOODY FRAMES it did not work. I am reduced
to asking you to activate the above link and then to activate the "Animals"
link on the left hand nav bar on that site.

<advice target="newbies and those asking questions about frames here">
See how bloody annoying frames are and what a bloody mess thay make of
things and why we are so bloody tired of them and wish they would go far
a-bloody-way ?

Frames break one of the fundamental things the net is designed to do: to
allow me to tell you where a nice page is.

Worse is the damn screeching jungle noise. Had me reachin' for my .357.
You must not have sound on, or you surely would have warned us. The
"nice" (and quiet) page, of course, is:
http://www.koalaparksanctuary.com.au/myweb2/animals.htm

rf

John C said:
Worse is the damn screeching jungle noise. Had me reachin' for my .357.
You must not have sound on, or you surely would have warned us. The
"nice" (and quiet) page, of course, is:

ROFL.

I don't even *have* speakers on this PC[1] so I'm afraid I could not have
warned you.

I'm surprised they don't have some "don't break out of frames" code so you
can't do this and stop the noise :)

[1] If I want to hear noise I go to the next room and turn on the surround
sound.

Cheers
Richard.

Eric B. Bednarz

DU said:
I'm not changing a single word here of my post. You're reliably
activating standards compliant rendering mode when you include a
doctype declaration (it's mandatory)

Mandatory for what? Processing by tagsoup manglers? GAL
and you can reliably trigger it

No, you cannot. Web-wowsers triggering pleonasm-mode when the
declaration is not on the first line of the document instance, like M$
Losedoze Exploder does, are out of the author's control.

The only thing you can *reliably* trigger as an author is quirks mode.
Hence my (practical) objections. At least, it's quite unlikely that
third party software at the client side or a remote proxy would insert
document type declarations into document instances.
when you use a strict dtd or a strict definition (if that is what you
really wish me to say).

You don't 'use definitions' by the means of doctype declarations.
Because you *cannot*. A doctype declaration includes a couple of
formal, syntactic rules in the document instance that sports the
declaration. There's *no association* with a *definition* involved.
A wide majority of reasonable people would find your nitpicking on
vocabulary out of proportions and sterile.

I'm pretty sure that you are right. There's a saying about numbers,
flies and reasonable nutrition. I'm not prepared to fight the
marketroid department. Point for you.

An UA that treats a markup declaration as a processing instruction is
still broken. That's not a question of vocabulary. Incorrect
vocabulary does increase the half-life time of urban legends, though.
What really matters here is
that 70% of all browsers out there can trigger standards rendering
mode where benefits for both users and web designers are a major issue
and a considerable gain.

On Usenet, mailing lists and IRL I still see a lot of people who gain
nothing but headache by doctype switching. And I can sympathize with
that. As far as *standards* are concerned, one is required to RTFM, not
some ad-hoc excuse for documentation of one or the other vendor of
<abbr/BAD/ implementations.
FYI, web designers (webstandards.org) fought

FYI, my mother used to say:
If you cannot say something good about somebody&#8230

Well, here's to mom.
and pressured during months and years Microsoft so that it would fix
the box model and other css issues like margin:auto (1). Now, that it
has been fixed in MSIE 6 for windows (1), it's all up to web designers
to write their code accordingly.

It hasn't been *fixed*; you are allowed to toy around a bit at own risk.

People tend to avoid reading drool proof papers until their bitter end:

| In standards-compliant mode, compatibility with other versions of
| Internet Explorer is not guaranteed. When standards-compliant mode is
| switched on, the rendering behavior of documents might differ in
| future versions of Internet Explorer. You should not use this mode for
| content that is fixed in nature, such as content that is stored on a
| CD.
<msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnie60/html/cssenhancements.asp>

Let's stress the practical implications of the matter:
You (id est one, or at least I) still has to cope with at least M$IE 5
and 5.5 among the notoriously broken UAs. So any conditional so-called
'css-enhancements' in one particular version don't gain you any benefit
(besides the fact that you cannot guarantee this misfeature in the first
place). What you *do* gain, are a couple of *new* bugs which are
*exclusive* to 'standard-compliant mode'. No, thanks.

On a side note, Opera 7 is an example of quantum bogodynamics par
excellence, where you can get an intentionally broken box model that
won't be fixed by exploiting those nifty parsing bugs one's style sheet
used to be cluttered with.
You can bitch and rant as much as you
want: the reality of such responsibility is irrefutable.

The only thing irrefutable to me is that we are talking about opt-out
here. I have the same warm feelings for that as for any other 'service'
that requires that. So far for (bitch|rant)ing. YMMV
So, what's your problem with that??

The cure is worse than the disease. Got pain in your big toe? Cut off
the leg. Hallelujah, it's a miracle -- praise the lord.

nice.guy.nige

<movie="The Two Towers" character="Gollum">I hates Nested Tables! I
hates them! I hates them!</movie>

I think you'll find in the original specs this should have been done using
the <book> tag! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:27:12 GMT, rf is reported to have
stated:
I live in the north western suburbs, just down the road from the Koala park
http://www.koalaparksanctuary.com.au/myweb2/default.htm

Sounds like you're not too far from me then. :) I'm just around the corner
from the aforementioned ADI land.
They graciously allow me to agist him there, keeps the Japanese tourists
amused. On weekends we hop over to the Cumberland State Forest for a sojourn
in the scrub and a nice cup of tea at the kiosk.

Sounds like a good life (for both of you).