[OT] Outsourcing your C-progammer

Buffy The Cache Coder

Sorry for the off topic nature of this post.
It is somewhat related to C.

Two acquaintances from two different companies
have told me that their companies have recently
sent out a letter stating that their future
plans are to outsource their entire development to
India. Both companies are big C development
shops.

Reading between the lines, it was a warning from
the companies that all the programmers should start
looking elsewhere.

I wonder what you think of this? I use to believe
that jobs requiring you to think were immune to
outsourcing. But, looks like programming just isn't.
Here's the recent quote from The Economist:

3.3m American service-industry jobs will have gone
overseas by 2015 -barely noticeable when you think
about the 7m-8m lost every quarter through
job-churning. And the bulk of these exports will
not be the high-flying jobs of IT consultants, but
the mind-numbing functions of code-writing.

Well those numbers don't look so bad. And, I guess
you can't stop these economic forces. Sign of the
times, I guess.

yes you, big head! the world's first Sized-to-Fit condom line in 55
custom-fit sizes. The custom tailored fit makes these condoms safer, while
significantly increasing comfort and pleasure for a more natural
experience.Before ordering, you will need to use our Fit KitT to measure the
Johnson in question. To either download a Fit Kit or request that one be
mailed to you free of charge, please clikclok here
http://www.condomania.com/jump.jsp?itemID=461&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1,3

Richard Heathfield

Buffy said:
Sorry for the off topic nature of this post.
It is somewhat related to C.

No more than, say, Conwy Castle or Charing Cross.
Two acquaintances from two different companies
have told me that their companies have recently
sent out a letter stating that their future
plans are to outsource their entire development to
India. Both companies are big C development
shops.

<shrug> You get what you pay for. If your sole criterion for selection of
your software supplier is price, then you are likely to get cheap, poor
quality software. This isn't necessarily true, of course; it's merely the
most likely outcome. (Obvious counter-example: gcc!)

Anyway, it sounds like this is good news for India, which could certainly do
with some good news, so I don't see a problem here.

Mark McIntyre

No more than, say, Conwy Castle or Charing Cross.

well, one of these is by the C, and I the other is a stone's throw from a
pub which begins with a C. Hey, look ma, no topic!

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Sorry for the off topic nature of this post.
It is somewhat related to C.

Two acquaintances from two different companies
have told me that their companies have recently
sent out a letter stating that their future
plans are to outsource their entire development to
India. Both companies are big C development
shops.

Reading between the lines, it was a warning from
the companies that all the programmers should start
looking elsewhere.

I understand, it's really a problem for the programmers living in
that country. If I recall correct, the contribution of IT in India is
just 2%; so I don't think it's a good news as Richard thinks. When
Pepsi, Coca Cola, and other MNC's captured the Indian market, many
local people suffered a lot--many gave up the business. But, at that
time no one was thinking about it 'coz it was a beneficial for _some_.
If I understand right, the present outsourcing impact is very very
less than that. Just my thoughts; obviously your mileage may vary.