OT: Port 113

picayunish

Eric B. Bednarz wrote in news:[email protected]:
Next vacation, put a board at the front door of your house, reading:
"This is no house."
Now that your house operates in full stealth mode, you don't even need
to lock the doors.

I don't need to lock my door, because I live in the countryside :-D

brucie

Next vacation, put a board at the front door of your house, reading: "This
is no house." Now that your house operates in full stealth mode, you don't
even need to lock the doors.

have you got any links to the problems with zonealarm? i've looked
around and couldn't find any "zonealarm is evil" type pages. the worst
i could find is the "single point of failure" problem.

picayunish

brucie

I found a comment on a page with a date of June 22, 2001
http://illusions.dnsalias.com/blogs/atama/archives//000382.html

LOL. i have a suspicion that zonealarm isn't the problem in that case.
Also I found a little thread about zonealarm at
http://www.codemonkeyx.net/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=762

the evil comment on that page is simply "i didn't RTFM and screwed up
uninstalling zonealarm, its zonealarms fault not mine".

and no one mentioned to the OP that his alerts could be legitimate
traffic, not evil people trying to attack him.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:26:46 +1000, brucie is reported to have
stated:
have you got any links to the problems with zonealarm? i've looked
around and couldn't find any "zonealarm is evil" type pages. the worst
i could find is the "single point of failure" problem.

There is a bug report on apache.org that some versions of ZoneAlarm
conflicted with Apache, though AFAICT it has been fixed now anyway.

Eric B. Bednarz

brucie said:
Eric B. Bednarz said...

have you got any links to the problems with zonealarm?

It was not my intention to bash zonealarm in particular; on the other
hand, its seemingly unavoidable symbiotic frankensteinian co-existance
with the grc slime smells a bit ugly.
i've looked
around and couldn't find any "zonealarm is evil" type pages.

Again, I didn't say that zonealarm is more evil than other desktop
firewalls (there *is* grcsucks.com, btw :).

This is a pretty good human readable summary of the general issue in
english:

the worst
i could find is the "single point of failure" problem.

The only single point of failure is when a user installs desktop point
and shoot security. :)

brucie

Again, I didn't say that zonealarm is more evil than other desktop
firewalls (there *is* grcsucks.com, btw :).

This is a pretty good human readable summary of the general issue in
english:

<http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html>

that just states the obvious. i think the problem is people installing
a firewall and thinking everything is now ok rather than educating
themselves.