OT: Web Host w/Large Email

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Jerde, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Mark Jerde

    Mark Jerde Guest

    Sorry if this is off-topic and/or the wrong newsgroup but I've surfed for
    hours...

    I need to find a .NET web host with large limits on email attachments and
    mailbox size. Our current host's maxes are 6 MB attachments and 20 MB total
    mailbox size. I know it sounds ridiculous but these are too low. Though
    I've pleaded & begged the host can't/won't increase them. I need on the
    order of 25 MB attachments and 200 MB mailbox size.

    Ideally the host would tend to the latest & greatest, .NET 1.1, FP 2003,
    etc. SQL Server 2000 is a requirement.

    Another nice-to-have is the option for Outlook hosting.

    We're not big enough to justify our own server yet but we may have to go
    that route.

    Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

    -- Mark
    Mark Jerde, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Mark Jerde

    Mark Jerde Guest

    Re: Web Host w/Large Email

    P.S.

    > I need to find a .NET web host with large limits on email attachments
    > and mailbox size. Our current host's maxes are 6 MB attachments and
    > 20 MB total mailbox size. I know it sounds ridiculous but these are
    > too low. Though I've pleaded & begged the host can't/won't increase
    > them. I need on the order of 25 MB attachments and 200 MB mailbox
    > size.

    We have an iBackup.com account where clients can dump the large attachments
    but both the clients and PHBs want to just use email.
    Mark Jerde, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Hello Mark,

    Thanks for posting in the newsgroup.

    However, this group is for ASP.NET programming. So I feel it may not be the
    most suitable group for this question.

    I haven't heard any ISP which supports such a big mailbox. I think a large
    email may add much burden to mail server and that is why there is seldom
    this kind of emailbox in general. You may call your ISP to see if they have
    such service.

    Ny suggestion for you is to develop some web pages for the customer. So
    they could upload their big attachments by just clicking one link. That is
    easier and perhaps they are willing to do so.

    Happy New Year!

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Community Support

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Dec 30, 2003
  4. Mark Jerde

    Mark Jerde Guest

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT] wrote:

    > Ny suggestion for you is to develop some web pages for the customer.
    > So they could upload their big attachments by just clicking one link.
    > That is easier and perhaps they are willing to do so.

    Thanks for the response. The pointy-haired bosses don't want this common
    and sensible solution, they don't want shared internet hard disk space
    (ibackup.com) and they don't want FTP. They want to send and receive huge
    attachments via Outlook Express... <g>

    The world has greatly changed since I spent $300 for a used 300 baud
    acoustic modem c. 1981. My connection to the campus mainframe was a lot
    faster than others connected at 110. Hard connections on campus ran at a
    snappy 1200. It was rumored a couple key people had 9600. Now my mission
    is to find a way to take minutes of DSL speed with email attachments. <g>

    -- Mark
    Mark Jerde, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Re: Web Host w/Large Email

    The best and cheapest way to do this is to host your own e-mail. I would
    recommend using a dedicated server at a good hosting company (I can
    recommend some if you want). This gives you all the advantages of
    controlling everything without having to buy equipment or a higher speed
    connection at your location. You also have 24/7 support that your small
    company probably couldn't afford to provide if you set it up at your
    location. You can get all this for $250 - $400 per month and e-mail
    software (I can recommend that too) for less than $500. You could have the
    whole thing done in a few days - I did. E-mail privately if you want
    detailed information.

    Curt J Raddatz, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Hi Mark,

    I understand the situation now. Curt has introduced you a way to achieve
    it. Renting a server to host your email server could be a solution for your
    company. I think you could email him for detailed information. If you have
    anything unclear, please feel free to post here.

    Thanks very much for participating the community.

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Dec 31, 2003