OT?: Word wrap in text files opened in MSIE (re HTML links in an html index file).

fitwell

This is an odd situation. I've found a great freeware directory
indexer that in a second creates an HTML index page of a folder with
working links. The particular folder I just indexed happens to be 99%
text files. But odd behaviour is that when I click on a text file
link in the index page, MSIE opens it up with _no_ word wrap.

Okay, so then I converted one doct. to RTF and re-indexed and tried
that. Great, word wrap is on. I had to disable the warning box as
MSIE doesn't actually open RTF, but okay, it opened up fine and with
word wrap on.

So then I figured, okay, I'll convert all to RTF. But then I found
that I lose the links from within the RTF file because unlike Metapad,
WordPad doesn't support hotlinks. (Those URLs are the source for each
text file's info. They're important.) Darn! So, I gain back word
wrap but lose the hotlinks capability of Metapad. No-win situation,
at present.

Two choices:

- figure out how to get MSIE to word wrap (my preference).
- and, OT to this ng, find a Wordpad alternative that does support
hotlinks.

I hope there's a way to get MSIE to display a text file correctly,
though.

Thanks! :eek:D

Toby A Inkster

fitwell said:
- figure out how to get MSIE to word wrap (my preference).

Most browsers do not wrap text files.
- and, OT to this ng, find a Wordpad alternative that does support
hotlinks.

Why not just convert the text files to HTML? Then you get links and
word-wrapping.

fitwell

Most browsers do not wrap text files.

Why not just convert the text files to HTML? Then you get links and
word-wrapping.

There's a thought. Either way, conversion involved, but you're right.
Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees <g>.