OT?: Word wrap in text files opened in MSIE (re HTML links in an html index file).

Discussion in 'HTML' started by fitwell, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    This is an odd situation. I've found a great freeware directory
    indexer that in a second creates an HTML index page of a folder with
    working links. The particular folder I just indexed happens to be 99%
    text files. But odd behaviour is that when I click on a text file
    link in the index page, MSIE opens it up with _no_ word wrap.

    Okay, so then I converted one doct. to RTF and re-indexed and tried
    that. Great, word wrap is on. I had to disable the warning box as
    MSIE doesn't actually open RTF, but okay, it opened up fine and with
    word wrap on.

    So then I figured, okay, I'll convert all to RTF. But then I found
    that I lose the links from within the RTF file because unlike Metapad,
    WordPad doesn't support hotlinks. (Those URLs are the source for each
    text file's info. They're important.) Darn! So, I gain back word
    wrap but lose the hotlinks capability of Metapad. No-win situation,
    at present.

    Two choices:

    - figure out how to get MSIE to word wrap (my preference).
    - and, OT to this ng, find a Wordpad alternative that does support
    hotlinks.

    I hope there's a way to get MSIE to display a text file correctly,
    though.

    Thanks! :eek:D
    fitwell, Nov 13, 2003

  2. fitwell wrote:

    > - figure out how to get MSIE to word wrap (my preference).

    Most browsers do not wrap text files.

    > - and, OT to this ng, find a Wordpad alternative that does support
    > hotlinks.

    Why not just convert the text files to HTML? Then you get links and
    word-wrapping.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 13, 2003

  3. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:25:34 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >fitwell wrote:
    >
    >> - figure out how to get MSIE to word wrap (my preference).

    >Most browsers do not wrap text files.
    >
    >> - and, OT to this ng, find a Wordpad alternative that does support
    >> hotlinks.

    >Why not just convert the text files to HTML? Then you get links and
    >word-wrapping.

    There's a thought. Either way, conversion involved, but you're right.
    Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees <g>.
    fitwell, Nov 13, 2003