    anyone help start me off??

    Thanks

    Jack
    happy-jack, Sep 26, 2005

  2. happy-jack

    gregarican Guest

    If you are interested I can e-mail you some .rb files I have that
    push/pull data from Outlook/Exchange sources. One word of warning.
    You'll have to come up with some mechanisms for trying to pull null
    data.

    For example if I was to pull contact data for an existing contact and I
    wanted their birthday, if the birthday field hasn't been populated in
    Outlook/Exchange then the MAPI call returns an error code that has to
    be dealt with. It doesn't return nil/null. It errors out. I had to
    write a bunch of begin-rescue-end routines into my Ruby files in order
    to account for this. Microsoft justifies this behavior by stating they
    were looking to streamline their database storage by not storing
    anything for nil/null values. It's more like the database columns
    aren't even defined at all in these cases!

    In any event, if you are interested I can either post some sample code
    here or e-mail you the files. Probably better the doing the latter
    since they might be kind of long ...
    gregarican, Sep 26, 2005

  3. happy-jack

    James Britt Guest

    happy-jack wrote:
    > I am new to ruby and I thougt that it would be a great experance to
    > create a ruby script to parse the outlook calendar. I have found some
    > scripts to write to the calendar but nothing much about getting
    > information out of the calendar. I have programmed in perl and can do
    > this with that language but I want to see how to do it in ruby. Can
    > anyone help start me off??

    This may be of help:

    http://www.jamesbritt.com/index.rb/Development@Outlook_Appointments_with_Ruby.txt

    James