p2exe using wine/cxoffice

James Stroud

Hello,

My department has switched from vmware to wine/cxoffice. I have been playing with this all morning, and I've gotten this far. If someone has done this, could you point me in the right direction

euler 65% winpy
Enthought Edition build 1057
Python 2.3.3 (#51, Feb 16 2004, 04:07:52) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
py> from distutils.core import setup
py> import py2exe
py> import sys
py> sys.argv.append('py2exe')
py> setup(console=["erase.py"])
running py2exe
*** searching for required modules ***
*** parsing results ***
creating python loader for extension '_sre'
*** finding dlls needed ***
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "C:\Python23\lib\distutils\core.py", line 149, in setup
dist.run_commands()
File "C:\Python23\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 907, in run_commands
self.run_command(cmd)
File "C:\Python23\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 927, in run_command
cmd_obj.run()
File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py", line 183, in run
self._run()
File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py", line 230, in _run
dlls = self.find_dlls(extensions)
File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py", line 300, in find_dlls
self.dll_excludes)
File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py", line 768, in find_dependend_dlls
alldlls, warnings = bin_depends(loadpath, images, dll_excludes)
File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py", line 1086, in bin_depends
for result in py2exe_util.depends(image, loadpath).items():
py2exe_util.bind_error: (120, 'Call not implemented', 'C:\\Python23\\DLLs\\_sre.pyd')

--
James Stroud
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com/

Larry Bates

I know Thomas Heller monitors this list but you should probably
post this to gmane.comp.python.py2exe as it is the py2exe
newsgroup.

FYI, Larry Bates

Larry Bates

I know Thomas Heller monitors this list but you should probably
post this to gmane.comp.python.py2exe as it is the py2exe
newsgroup.

FYI, Larry Bates

Thomas Heller

James Stroud said:
[...]

I guess this means that wine does not implement some function in
imagehlp.dll (which py2exe_util uses). It *may* be possible to write a
pure Python version of the binary dependency analysis (afaik, McMillan
installer has such code) - but since I don't run py2exe on linux I won't
do it myself. Even better would be to fix wine ;-), if my guess is correct.

Thomas

Tim Roberts

James Stroud said:
My department has switched from vmware to wine/cxoffice.

Fascinating. If you don't mind, and if others don't mind an off-topic
diversion, can you spend a few minutes explaining what led to this
decision? Wine is pretty good, but it will never be as thorough and
compatible as a VMware session.

James Stroud

I think the motivation is to ween people off of M$ products altogether, to get
them used to working an a unix environment and to the idea of using open
alternatives rather than thinking that commercial software is somehow
"better". The only reason I want this functionality is to make my software
available to windoze users--despite their unfortunate ignorance, they are
people too. That's what I always say.

Fascinating. If you don't mind, and if others don't mind an off-topic
diversion, can you spend a few minutes explaining what led to this
decision? Wine is pretty good, but it will never be as thorough and
compatible as a VMware session.

--
James Stroud
Box 951570
Los Angeles, CA 90095

http://www.jamesstroud.com/

Jorge Godoy

James Stroud said:
"better". The only reason I want this functionality is to make my software
available to windoze users--despite their unfortunate ignorance, they are
people too. That's what I always say.

+1 QOTW...

Tim Roberts

James Stroud said:
I think the motivation is to ween people off of M$ products altogether,

Well, CrossOver Office doesn't really do that. You're still running
Microsoft Office.
...to get
them used to working an a unix environment and to the idea of using open
alternatives rather than thinking that commercial software is somehow
"better".

Regardless of your opinion on their operating systems, only a religious
zealot would try to argue that Microsoft Office is not better than any of
the open source alternatives.

Christophe

Tim Roberts a écrit :
Well, CrossOver Office doesn't really do that. You're still running
Microsoft Office.

Regardless of your opinion on their operating systems, only a religious
zealot would try to argue that Microsoft Office is not better than any of
the open source alternatives.

Some significant parts of Microsoft Office are worse than what you get
in Oo_O Mainly, you could easily argue that OOWriter is better than
Word. I wouldn't try to make the same claim for the other parts of Oo_O
though :)

Caleb Hattingh

The other thing (and this is always true) is that "better" needs
definition. On purely technical grounds, on average, MSOffice is better
than OO. However, holistically, OO is probably better (no lock-in, open
standards, multiplatform and so on). Those soft issues do matter.

James Stroud

Well, CrossOver Office doesn't really do that. You're still running
Microsoft Office.

Regardless of your opinion on their operating systems, only a religious
zealot would try to argue that Microsoft Office is not better than any of
the open source alternatives.

And also the converse.

--
James Stroud
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com/

paniq

the problem you have comes from a badly wrapped imagehlp.

i could solve it by starting winecfg (distributed with recent wine
releases) and adding imagehlp as native,builtin.

of course you need a native dll to get this working.

Jon Perez

James said:
"better". The only reason I want this functionality is to make my software
available to windoze users--despite their unfortunate ignorance, they are
people too. That's what I always say.

Actually, I think it's many unix/linux users who are ignorant of just
how nice, stable and productive Windows can be as a desktop environment.

.... and I really mean that. ;-).

Ever since Win2K got rid of the constant blue screens, the reasons for
switching over to Linux have grown less and less urgent.

The 'Nix desktop environments are growing visibly more mature with each
passing year, but device support in Linux is still decidedly inferior and
it still takes far too much time to do some things you take for granted
under Windoze.

I'm experienced enough with Linux that I can customize a distribution
like Slackware to a fair extent, but for desktop work, I stay in Windows
almost exclusively.

I have this bunch of Linux zealots in a mailing list to thank for
encouraging me to realize how good Windows can be.

Thomas Heller

Jon Perez said:
Actually, I think it's many unix/linux users who are ignorant of just
how nice, stable and productive Windows can be as a desktop environment.

... and I really mean that. ;-).

I was waiting for someone to say that.

+1.

Thomas

Sybren Stuvel

Jon Perez enlightened us with:
Actually, I think it's many unix/linux users who are ignorant of
just how nice, stable and productive Windows can be as a desktop
environment.

I thought the same thing after spending two hours removing some adware
I found.
Ever since Win2K got rid of the constant blue screens, the reasons
for switching over to Linux have grown less and less urgent.

One thing in Linux (Gnome actually) that I miss in Windows, is that in
the latter you need to grab the title bar of a window to move it, and
the edge to resize it. In Gnome, I can press the ALT key and drag the
window with the left mouse button and resize it by dragging with the
right mouse button. When moving, it doesn't matter where your cursor
is, as long as it's inside the window. For resizing, it grabs the
closest corner and moves that.

It's like having a scrollwheel on your mouse. If you've never used
such a thing you don't miss it, but if you're used to it, it's a major
annoyance when it's gone.
The 'Nix desktop environments are growing visibly more mature with
each passing year, but device support in Linux is still decidedly
inferior and it still takes far too much time to do some things you
take for granted under Windoze.

When I replaced my CPU, motherboard and RAM, I had to reinstall
Windows and all applications. Linux just booted. When I upgrade my
video card, Linux just accepts it without even a single message. On
Windows I have to do a reinstall of the video drivers.

I think that everybody is influenced by their own experience. Here are
a few of my reasons to run Linux, besides the ones already mentioned:

- Window management in Linux is separate from the application.
That means that a non-responsive (crashed or just very busy)
application can still be minimized or moved.

- If I log in and my desktop is shown, I can start working
immediately. No need to wait for all sorts of things in the
system tray to start up first.

- Software installation on Linux usually works via the
distribution's package manager, so it's one application for
almost every software install. It also automatically downloads
and installs all required libraries etc.

- No need to defragment my harddisk.

- No viruses/spyware.

There are only two downsides I notice:

- There are some games I want to play which aren't available on
Linux. That's the only reason I run Windows, btw.

- I have to be a little more picky about the hardware I buy.

Sybren

Steve Holden

Jon said:
James Stroud wrote:

Actually, I think it's many unix/linux users who are ignorant of just
how nice, stable and productive Windows can be as a desktop environment.

... and I really mean that. ;-).

Ever since Win2K got rid of the constant blue screens, the reasons for
switching over to Linux have grown less and less urgent.

The 'Nix desktop environments are growing visibly more mature with each
passing year, but device support in Linux is still decidedly inferior and
it still takes far too much time to do some things you take for granted
under Windoze.

I'm experienced enough with Linux that I can customize a distribution
like Slackware to a fair extent, but for desktop work, I stay in Windows
almost exclusively.

I have this bunch of Linux zealots in a mailing list to thank for
encouraging me to realize how good Windows can be.
I too am a regular Windows user, despite a dislike for Microsoft's
marketing shenanigans. If you need a Linux/UNIX-like system there's
Cygwin, and if nothing but a real Linux kernel will do there's coLinux,
which I started using recently. The major pain with coLinux is that most
of the developers are Linux types, so reliable information about
integration into the Windows environment can be hard to come by. But I'm
getting there ...

regards
Steve