    package com.development_co.packages;

    or

    ?

    wizumwalt, Mar 22, 2006

  2. wizumwalt

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:45:26 GMT, wizumwalt <>

    >package com.customer.packages;
    >
    >or
    >
    >package com.development_co.packages;

    who own the code? Is the code for that specific customer or it is
    pretty generic?

    In projects I have been involved in there was a strong distinction
    between shared core code and customer specific application code. You
    had to be much more careful about any mods to the core system, since
    it could make all manner of quiescent projects stop working.

    Just from the point of view of maintaining uniqueness, I think
    packages should be named after the shop that wrote them. That way you
    can be sure you won't get clashes. The name of the customer comes
    somewhere in the package structure after the com.mindprod part.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Mar 22, 2006

  3. wizumwalt

    William Z. Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:45:26 GMT, wizumwalt <>
    >

    >>package com.customer.packages;
    >>
    >>or
    >>
    >>package com.development_co.packages;

    > who own the code? Is the code for that specific customer or it is
    > pretty generic?

    The code is for that specific customer, but I was wondering if it's
    common practice for the shop that wrote the code to put in their name as
    sort of a sig, responsible, ...

    > In projects I have been involved in there was a strong distinction
    > between shared core code and customer specific application code. You
    > had to be much more careful about any mods to the core system, since
    > it could make all manner of quiescent projects stop working.

    The customer wouldn't know how to maintain the code, and I was wondering
    if there might also be some sort of benefit for the shop that wrote it
    to put their name in, or if it should even be put in.

    > Just from the point of view of maintaining uniqueness, I think
    > packages should be named after the shop that wrote them. That way you
    > can be sure you won't get clashes. The name of the customer comes
    > somewhere in the package structure after the com.mindprod part.

    Interesting.

    William Z., Mar 22, 2006
  4. wizumwalt

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 03:42:16 GMT, "William Z." <>

    >The code is for that specific customer, but I was wondering if it's
    >common practice for the shop that wrote the code to put in their name as
    >sort of a sig, responsible, ...

    what is the package name for?

    1. to ensure uniqueness.

    2. to figure out where to go to find the latest class files or the
    source.

    Both of those suggest using the author's name rather than the
    customer's as primary.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Mar 22, 2006
  5. wizumwalt

    Chris Smith Guest

    wizumwalt <> wrote:
    > Just curious about how most people name the package paths of a website
    > for a customer.
    >
    > Do you normally make the packaging path under the name of the customer,
    > the name of the developing company, or ... does it depend on some other
    > conditions?

    I haven't thought much about it, but I suppose it would depend on who
    will own the code. If this is code being written for hire so that the
    customer would own the code, then you'd want to name packages after the
    customer. If it's developed and then licensed to the customer but you
    intend to retain ownership, then use your own company name in the
    package.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Mar 22, 2006
  6. wizumwalt

    Chris Smith Guest

    William Z. <> wrote:
    > The customer wouldn't know how to maintain the code, and I was wondering
    > if there might also be some sort of benefit for the shop that wrote it
    > to put their name in, or if it should even be put in.

    Comments work for making a note of who wrote the code, if that's your
    goal. If you don't own the code, then don't use your company name as a
    package. Your customer may not have the expertise to maintain the code,
    but they could hire such expertise, or contract the job to a third
    party... in any such case, your package name would soon become rather
    out of place.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Mar 22, 2006
  7. Chris Smith wrote:
    > I haven't thought much about it, but I suppose it would depend on who
    > will own the code. If this is code being written for hire so that the
    > customer would own the code, then you'd want to name packages after the
    > customer. If it's developed and then licensed to the customer but you
    > intend to retain ownership, then use your own company name in the
    > package.

    That's my thoughts exactly. Ownership of the code is the key and it
    should be stated in the contract who owns it and what rights each part
    has for future use, maintenance, cost/pay etc
    There can of course be other considerations, but that would have to be
    considered individually and should be in the contract.

    /tom

    tom fredriksen, Mar 22, 2006