Page continuously refreshs

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by PW, Oct 6, 2007.

  1. PW

    PW Guest

    One of my ASP's was working fine for a long time. Now it has started
    constantly refreshing itself. Everytime I run it I just get the first part
    of the page, then it refreshes itself, the rest of the page doesn't get
    displatyed, and this goes on continuously.

    The main sympton is that the select box thats being populated gets a
    different number of rows loaded into it each time. And the last row that
    gets loaded is always truncated. Its almost like theres some size
    limitation its encountering. I didn't think there was a limit on select
    boxes.

    The ASP is index.asp, and I have a form that submits it to itself.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, IIS, Access db.

    Here's the code segment ...

    <form method="GET" action="index.asp">
    <input type="submit" value="Ok" style="width:
    <%=Session("SystemButtonWidth")%>; height:
    <%=Session("SystemButtonheight")%>;">
    Q-TAGS SELECTION LIST (red lines indicate notes are attached)
    <SELECT name="lbESCI" size="7"
    style="font-size:10;color:BLACK;font-family:ARIAL">
    <%
    Do While Not rs1.EOF
    if len(rs1("NOTES")) > 0 then
    myOptionText = " class=red "
    else
    myOptionText = " class=black "
    end if

    if mySearchString <> "" then
    if rs1("ESCI") = mySearchString then
    response.write "<option selected " & myOptionText & ">"
    else
    response.write "<option " & myOptionText & ">"
    end if
    elseif rs1("ESCI") = left(myQueryString,6) then
    response.write "<option selected " & myOptionText & ">"
    else
    response.write "<option " & myOptionText & ">"
    end if

    myOption = rs1("ESCI") & " | " & rs1("ESCN")
    response.write myOption
    response.write "</option>"
    rs1.MoveNext
    Loop
    %>
    </select>
    </form>
    PW, Oct 6, 2007

  2. PW

    PW Guest

    The rs1 sql statement is here ...

    mySQL = mySQL & "SELECT DISTINCT Qtags.ESCI, Qtags.ESCN, Notes.Notes "
    mySQL = mySQL & "FROM QTags LEFT JOIN Notes ON (QTags.ESCI = Notes.ESCI) "
    mySQL = mySQL & "ORDER BY Qtags.ESCI "
    rs1.open mySQL,myDSN
    PW, Oct 6, 2007

  3. PW

    PW Guest

    Heres some new info I just discovered.

    I changed one line of code ...

    myOption = rs1("ESCI") & " | " & rs1("ESCN")
    myOption = rs1("ESCI") & " | " & left(rs1("ESCN"),20)

    and it worked for about 10 tries of navigating around, then it went back to
    its old behavior.

    Sure seems like some kind of limit is being hit.
    PW, Oct 6, 2007
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "PW" <>
    writing in news::

    > One of my ASP's was working fine for a long time. Now it has started
    > constantly refreshing itself. Everytime I run it I just get the first
    > part of the page, then it refreshes itself, the rest of the page
    > doesn't get displatyed, and this goes on continuously.
    >
    > The main sympton is that the select box thats being populated gets a
    > different number of rows loaded into it each time. And the last row
    > that gets loaded is always truncated. Its almost like theres some
    > size limitation its encountering. I didn't think there was a limit on
    > select boxes.

    What does the view source say? Does the markup validate? A lot of
    times, although it is client side, validating markup will show me a
    server side problem.

    > The ASP is index.asp, and I have a form that submits it to itself.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, IIS, Access db.
    >
    > Here's the code segment ...
    >
    ><form method="GET" action="index.asp">
    > <input type="submit" value="Ok" style="width:
    ><%=Session("SystemButtonWidth")%>; height:
    ><%=Session("SystemButtonheight")%>;">

    Are you including a unit with that? What is it? 10em, 10px, 10toaters?
    You would be better off putting this in an external stylesheet, and
    using <input type="submit" class="submit" value="Ok"> then you can
    define the styling in the stylesheet.

    > Q-TAGS SELECTION LIST (red lines indicate notes are attached)
    > <SELECT name="lbESCI" size="7"
    > style="font-size:10;color:BLACK;font-family:ARIAL">

    10 what? cars? toasters? Again, you are better off putting this in an
    external stylesheet, eg:
    select {font-size:90%; color:#000; background-color: transparent} will
    make ALL select elements the same. Nice eh?

    > <%
    > Do While Not rs1.EOF
    > if len(rs1("NOTES")) > 0 then
    > myOptionText = " class=red "
    > else
    > myOptionText = " class=black "
    > end if
    >
    > if mySearchString <> "" then
    > if rs1("ESCI") = mySearchString then
    > response.write "<option selected " & myOptionText & ">"
    > else
    > response.write "<option " & myOptionText & ">"
    > end if
    > elseif rs1("ESCI") = left(myQueryString,6) then
    > response.write "<option selected " & myOptionText & ">"
    > else
    > response.write "<option " & myOptionText & ">"
    > end if

    Character values in attributes must be quoted, eg. class="red"

    > myOption = rs1("ESCI") & " | " & rs1("ESCN")
    > response.write myOption
    > response.write "</option>"
    > rs1.MoveNext
    > Loop
    > %>
    > </select>
    ></form>

    You would also do better to use getrows() instead of looping through the
    recordset.

    Do you have a URL to look at?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 6, 2007
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "PW" <>
    writing in news:O#:

    > The rs1 sql statement is here ...
    >
    > mySQL = mySQL & "SELECT DISTINCT Qtags.ESCI, Qtags.ESCN, Notes.Notes "
    > mySQL = mySQL & "FROM QTags LEFT JOIN Notes ON (QTags.ESCI =
    > Notes.ESCI) " mySQL = mySQL & "ORDER BY Qtags.ESCI "
    > rs1.open mySQL,myDSN

    What records to you get when you run the query from Access? Why are you
    using DSN. Google DSN vs DSNless connections.

    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 6, 2007
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "PW" <>
    writing in news::

    > Heres some new info I just discovered.
    >
    > I changed one line of code ...
    >
    > myOption = rs1("ESCI") & " | " & rs1("ESCN")
    > myOption = rs1("ESCI") & " | " & left(rs1("ESCN"),20)
    >
    > and it worked for about 10 tries of navigating around, then it went
    > back to its old behavior.
    >
    > Sure seems like some kind of limit is being hit.

    Do you have a URL that exhibits this behavior?

    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 6, 2007
  7. PW

    PW Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> if rs1("ESCI") = mySearchString then
    >> response.write "<option selected " & myOptionText & ">"
    >> else
    >> response.write "<option " & myOptionText & ">"
    >> end if
    >> elseif rs1("ESCI") = left(myQueryString,6) then
    >> response.write "<option selected " & myOptionText & ">"
    >> else
    >> response.write "<option " & myOptionText & ">"
    >> end if

    > Character values in attributes must be quoted, eg. class="red"
    >

    >> myOption = rs1("ESCI") & " | " & rs1("ESCN")
    >> response.write myOption
    >> response.write "</option>"
    >> rs1.MoveNext
    >> Loop
    >> %>
    >> </select>
    >></form>
    >>

    > You would also do better to use getrows() instead of looping through the

    Hi Adrienne,

    "What does the view source say?" ... brilliant! That was an excellent
    suggestion. I did just that and found that the page that was being produced
    is in excess of 250k. After reading other blogs on this topic I've come to
    the conclusion that IIS may be timing out due to the large page size due to
    the excessive number of records I am selecing from the database (over
    10,000).

    I removed some of the code thats producing formatting and 'voila' it worked,
    even with the massive 10,000 rows requested. So it would appear the issue
    is simply that IIS can't handle the size of the HTML page being produced and
    times out, thus NOT producing the rest of the page, and truncating the
    resulting HTML.

    This can be reduced by changing my formatting to CSS and reducing the
    overall content of the page.

    Quite a new technical issue I have never come across before.

    Thanks for your help.

    Regards,
    PW
    PW, Oct 7, 2007
  8. PW

    Evertjan. Guest

    PW wrote on 07 okt 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > What does the view source say?" ... brilliant! That was an excellent
    > suggestion. I did just that and found that the page that was being
    > produced is in excess of 250k. After reading other blogs on this
    > topic I've come to the conclusion that IIS may be timing out due to
    > the large page size due to the excessive number of records I am
    > selecing from the database (over 10,000).
    >
    > I removed some of the code thats producing formatting and 'voila' it
    > worked, even with the massive 10,000 rows requested. So it would
    > appear the issue is simply that IIS can't handle the size of the HTML
    > page being produced and times out, thus NOT producing the rest of the
    > page, and truncating the resulting HTML.
    >
    > This can be reduced by changing my formatting to CSS and reducing the
    > overall content of the page.
    >
    > Quite a new technical issue I have never come across before.

    "a new technical issue" ???

    If that is the diagnosis always consider a bug in reasoning.
    Servers cannot refresh, only clients can [without push technology].
    That is why servers are called "servers".

    I severely doubt that anything IIS produces and sends to the client will
    have the browser refresh, unless it contains either:
    1 some sort of refresh header
    2 a meta refresh
    3 a clientside code refresh

    And why would IIS send that if you do not specify?

    In the end it must be a clientside issue, not just a IIS timeout issue.

    Purely theoretically speaking ...

    ==================

    btw, whatever human or humanoid user wil read pages of 10000+ records,
    or are you by chance sending bitmaps with 1 record = 1 pixel,
    absolutely positioned by CSS?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Oct 7, 2007
  9. PW

    PW Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message

    > "a new technical issue" ???
    >
    > If that is the diagnosis always consider a bug in reasoning.
    > Servers cannot refresh, only clients can [without push technology].
    > That is why servers are called "servers".
    >
    > I severely doubt that anything IIS produces and sends to the client will
    > have the browser refresh, unless it contains either:
    > 1 some sort of refresh header
    > 2 a meta refresh
    > 3 a clientside code refresh
    >
    > And why would IIS send that if you do not specify?
    >
    > In the end it must be a clientside issue, not just a IIS timeout issue.
    >
    > Purely theoretically speaking ...
    >
    > ==================
    >
    > btw, whatever human or humanoid user wil read pages of 10000+ records,
    > or are you by chance sending bitmaps with 1 record = 1 pixel,
    > absolutely positioned by CSS?
    >
    > --
    > Evertjan.
    > The Netherlands.

    Sorry, when I said it was a new technical issue, I meant it was new to me.
    Certainly this issue has been around for a long time, I have simply never
    encountered it before.

    About the refreshing, the reason the page continually refreshed (I believe)
    is because it is index.asp and I have a form within the page that directs it
    to itself with different variable values which it reacts too in the
    appropriate way.

    About the timeout diagnosis, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have read
    other blogs around the internet that indicated that if the resulting html
    page is large then IIS seems to timeout. Perhaps thats not what technically
    happens, but that appears to be the end result. The resulting html page in
    NOT completely 'served' and is truncated. It seems to be timing out, at
    least it seems to NOT be finishing the serving of the page.

    About the 10,000 records, yes I agree its too much and I will address that
    .... but at the moment I am happy that the technical issue I originally
    started this thread about is now solved. Whether people agree or disagree
    about what the page does is a totally separate discussion.

    Does that help you? I hope so.

    Regards,
    PW
    PW, Oct 7, 2007
  10. "PW" <> wrote in message

    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "a new technical issue" ???
    > >
    > > If that is the diagnosis always consider a bug in reasoning.
    > > Servers cannot refresh, only clients can [without push technology].
    > > That is why servers are called "servers".
    > >
    > > I severely doubt that anything IIS produces and sends to the client will
    > > have the browser refresh, unless it contains either:
    > > 1 some sort of refresh header
    > > 2 a meta refresh
    > > 3 a clientside code refresh
    > >
    > > And why would IIS send that if you do not specify?
    > >
    > > In the end it must be a clientside issue, not just a IIS timeout issue.
    > >
    > > Purely theoretically speaking ...
    > >
    > > ==================
    > >
    > > btw, whatever human or humanoid user wil read pages of 10000+ records,
    > > or are you by chance sending bitmaps with 1 record = 1 pixel,
    > > absolutely positioned by CSS?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Evertjan.
    > > The Netherlands.
    > > (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

    > Sorry, when I said it was a new technical issue, I meant it was new to me.
    > Certainly this issue has been around for a long time, I have simply never
    > encountered it before.
    >
    > About the refreshing, the reason the page continually refreshed (I

    believe)
    > is because it is index.asp and I have a form within the page that directs

    it
    > to itself with different variable values which it reacts too in the
    > appropriate way.
    >
    > About the timeout diagnosis, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have

    read
    > other blogs around the internet that indicated that if the resulting html
    > page is large then IIS seems to timeout. Perhaps thats not what

    technically
    > happens, but that appears to be the end result. The resulting html page

    in
    > NOT completely 'served' and is truncated. It seems to be timing out, at
    > least it seems to NOT be finishing the serving of the page.

    IIS doesn't timeout but ASP does. It has a script timeout set by default to
    30 seconds.
    If you have buffering turned off then you can expect to receive an
    incomplete HTML content followed by the contents of the asp 500 internal
    error page.

    Like Evertjan I can't quite see how this server-side behaviour would invoke
    the client-side operation of refreshing the content.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Oct 7, 2007
  11. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "PW" <>
    writing in news::

    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "PW"
    >> <> writing in
    >>

    >>> One of my ASP's was working fine for a long time. Now it has
    >>> started constantly refreshing itself. Everytime I run it I just get
    >>> the first part of the page, then it refreshes itself, the rest of
    >>> the page doesn't get displatyed, and this goes on continuously.
    >>>
    >>> The main sympton is that the select box thats being populated gets a
    >>> different number of rows loaded into it each time. And the last row
    >>> that gets loaded is always truncated. Its almost like theres some
    >>> size limitation its encountering. I didn't think there was a limit
    >>> on select boxes.

    >> What does the view source say? Does the markup validate? A lot of
    >> times, although it is client side, validating markup will show me a
    >> server side problem.
    >>

    >>> The ASP is index.asp, and I have a form that submits it to itself.
    >>>
    >>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, IIS, Access db.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the code segment ...
    >>>
    >>><form method="GET" action="index.asp">
    >>> <input type="submit" value="Ok" style="width:
    >>><%=Session("SystemButtonWidth")%>; height:
    >>><%=Session("SystemButtonheight")%>;">

    >> Are you including a unit with that? What is it? 10em, 10px,
    >> 10toaters? You would be better off putting this in an external
    >> stylesheet, and using <input type="submit" class="submit" value="Ok">
    >> then you can define the styling in the stylesheet.
    >>
    >>> Q-TAGS SELECTION LIST (red lines indicate notes are attached)
    >>> <SELECT name="lbESCI" size="7"
    >>> style="font-size:10;color:BLACK;font-family:ARIAL">

    >> 10 what? cars? toasters? Again, you are better off putting this in an
    >> external stylesheet, eg:
    >> select {font-size:90%; color:#000; background-color: transparent}
    >> will make ALL select elements the same. Nice eh?
    >>

    >>> <%
    >>> Do While Not rs1.EOF
    >>> if len(rs1("NOTES")) > 0 then
    >>> myOptionText = " class=red "
    >>> else
    >>> myOptionText = " class=black "
    >>> end if
    >>>
    >>> if mySearchString <> "" then
    >>> if rs1("ESCI") = mySearchString then
    >>> response.write "<option selected " & myOptionText & ">"
    >>> else
    >>> response.write "<option " & myOptionText & ">"
    >>> end if
    >>> elseif rs1("ESCI") = left(myQueryString,6) then
    >>> response.write "<option selected " & myOptionText & ">"
    >>> else
    >>> response.write "<option " & myOptionText & ">"
    >>> end if

    >> Character values in attributes must be quoted, eg. class="red"
    >>

    >>> myOption = rs1("ESCI") & " | " & rs1("ESCN")
    >>> response.write myOption
    >>> response.write "</option>"
    >>> rs1.MoveNext
    >>> Loop
    >>> %>
    >>> </select>
    >>></form>
    >>>

    >> You would also do better to use getrows() instead of looping through
    >> the recordset.
    >>
    >> Do you have a URL to look at?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Adrienne Boswell at Home
    >> Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    >> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    >> Please respond to the group so others can share
    >>

    > Hi Adrienne,
    >
    > "What does the view source say?" ... brilliant! That was an excellent
    > suggestion. I did just that and found that the page that was being
    > produced is in excess of 250k. After reading other blogs on this
    > topic I've come to the conclusion that IIS may be timing out due to
    > the large page size due to the excessive number of records I am
    > selecing from the database (over 10,000).
    >
    > I removed some of the code thats producing formatting and 'voila' it
    > worked, even with the massive 10,000 rows requested. So it would
    > appear the issue is simply that IIS can't handle the size of the HTML
    > page being produced and times out, thus NOT producing the rest of the
    > page, and truncating the resulting HTML.
    >
    > This can be reduced by changing my formatting to CSS and reducing the
    > overall content of the page.
    >
    > Quite a new technical issue I have never come across before.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Regards,
    > PW

    I'm glad I was able to help - but, as others have said, what about those
    10,000 records. This is something you need to address NOW. All that
    data could make a browser timeout or even freeze up. Think about people
    on dialup, how long it's going to take to download all that information.

    Break the information into chunks, for example, classification ->
    category -> type -> widgets. You can even put a bread crumb trail to
    help users find their way back.

    You really need to do some planning to make this as light weight and
    accessible as possible. Users are fickle, and if a page doesn't load
    fast enough they are on to something else. You also have to consider
    usability - is the easy and intuitive for the user? It's annoying
    enough having to go on sites that ask for a country, and you have to
    scroll through all the countries - and there are nothing near 10,000
    countries (even if you count the ones that don't exist, or are
    exceptions).

    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 7, 2007
  12. PW

> [...]

    > 10,000 records. This is something you need to address NOW. All that
    > data could make a browser timeout or even freeze up. Think about people
    > on dialup, how long it's going to take to download all that information.
    >
    > Break the information into chunks, for example, classification ->
    > category -> type -> widgets. You can even put a bread crumb trail to
    > help users find their way back.
    >
    > You really need to do some planning to make this as light weight and
    > accessible as possible. Users are fickle, and if a page doesn't load
    > fast enough they are on to something else. You also have to consider
    > usability - is the easy and intuitive for the user? It's annoying
    > enough having to go on sites that ask for a country, and you have to
    > scroll through all the countries - and there are nothing near 10,000
    > countries (even if you count the ones that don't exist, or are

    Ahhh, I should have mentioned that this in on an intranet, not the internet.
    The application is used by a select few logistics 'catalogers' who are using
    the application to categorise supply records. The 'select' box that is
    being populated with the 10,000 records is actually very quick (maybe 5
    seconds?) probably because its on an internal high speed network and not on
    the WWW. Also the 'select' box is being populated with just a 6 character
    ID and the first 20 characters of the description, so it really is
    adequately fast.

    BUT, I take your point and I am going to redo it so the user can perform a
    drill-down rather than get stomped with the entire record set. Of course
    the result will be an almost instant didplay rather than a sluggish 5-10
    seconds delay.

    Again, many thanks for your help. I am stoked! :)

    Regards,
    PW
    PW, Oct 8, 2007
  13. PW

    PW Guest

    "Anthony Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "PW" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "a new technical issue" ???
    >> >
    >> > If that is the diagnosis always consider a bug in reasoning.
    >> > Servers cannot refresh, only clients can [without push technology].
    >> > That is why servers are called "servers".
    >> >
    >> > I severely doubt that anything IIS produces and sends to the client
    >> > will
    >> > have the browser refresh, unless it contains either:
    >> > 1 some sort of refresh header
    >> > 2 a meta refresh
    >> > 3 a clientside code refresh
    >> >
    >> > And why would IIS send that if you do not specify?
    >> >
    >> > In the end it must be a clientside issue, not just a IIS timeout issue.
    >> >
    >> > Purely theoretically speaking ...
    >> >
    >> > ==================
    >> >
    >> > btw, whatever human or humanoid user wil read pages of 10000+ records,
    >> > or are you by chance sending bitmaps with 1 record = 1 pixel,
    >> > absolutely positioned by CSS?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Evertjan.
    >> > The Netherlands.
    >> > (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

    >> Sorry, when I said it was a new technical issue, I meant it was new to
    >> me.
    >> Certainly this issue has been around for a long time, I have simply never
    >> encountered it before.
    >>
    >> About the refreshing, the reason the page continually refreshed (I

    > believe)
    >> is because it is index.asp and I have a form within the page that directs

    > it
    >> to itself with different variable values which it reacts too in the
    >> appropriate way.
    >>
    >> About the timeout diagnosis, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have

    > read
    >> other blogs around the internet that indicated that if the resulting html
    >> page is large then IIS seems to timeout. Perhaps thats not what

    > technically
    >> happens, but that appears to be the end result. The resulting html page

    > in
    >> NOT completely 'served' and is truncated. It seems to be timing out, at
    >> least it seems to NOT be finishing the serving of the page.
    >>

    > IIS doesn't timeout but ASP does. It has a script timeout set by default
    > 30 seconds.
    > If you have buffering turned off then you can expect to receive an
    > incomplete HTML content followed by the contents of the asp 500 internal
    > error page.
    >
    > Like Evertjan I can't quite see how this server-side behaviour would
    > invoke
    > the client-side operation of refreshing the content.
    >

    > --
    > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Ahhh, ok more info that I didn't know. I will read up on the buffering and
    timeout settings and try tuning them to see what the result is.

    many thanks,
    PW
    PW, Oct 8, 2007
  14. PW

    PW Guest

    "PW" <> wrote in message

    > "Anthony Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> "PW" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Evertjan." <> wrote in message

    >>> Sorry, when I said it was a new technical issue, I meant it was new to
    >>> me.
    >>> Certainly this issue has been around for a long time, I have simply
    >>> never
    >>> encountered it before.
    >>>
    >>> About the refreshing, the reason the page continually refreshed (I

    >> believe)
    >>> is because it is index.asp and I have a form within the page that
    >>> directs

    >> it
    >>> to itself with different variable values which it reacts too in the
    >>> appropriate way.
    >>>
    >>> About the timeout diagnosis, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have

    >> read
    >>> other blogs around the internet that indicated that if the resulting
    >>> html
    >>> page is large then IIS seems to timeout. Perhaps thats not what

    >> technically
    >>> happens, but that appears to be the end result. The resulting html page

    >> in
    >>> NOT completely 'served' and is truncated. It seems to be timing out, at
    >>> least it seems to NOT be finishing the serving of the page.
    >>>

    >> IIS doesn't timeout but ASP does. It has a script timeout set by default
    >> 30 seconds.
    >> If you have buffering turned off then you can expect to receive an
    >> incomplete HTML content followed by the contents of the asp 500 internal
    >> error page.
    >>
    >> Like Evertjan I can't quite see how this server-side behaviour would
    >> invoke
    >> the client-side operation of refreshing the content.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    >>

    > Ahhh, ok more info that I didn't know. I will read up on the buffering
    > and timeout settings and try tuning them to see what the result is.
    >
    > many thanks,
    > PW

    Ok, I read about response.buffer (thanks W3 schools!) and set it to true,
    then placed a response.flush within the loop that was causing my issue. And
    it works perfectly. I even removed the description truncation and used the
    full description, and it also works perfectly. So, my original conclusion
    (IIS timing out) was incorrect, its actually the buffering.

    Once again, thanks for all your help. This newsgroup is such a valuable
    resource.

    Regards,
    PW
    PW, Oct 8, 2007