Page_Validators error

Dan Hurwitz

I am working on a large ASP.NET project. We have a user control
called ucSearch, which is called from two other pages. ucSearch
contains some validation controls. Up until this afternoon, it worked
perfectly with no problems. For no discernable reason, it stopped
working on my machine, giving the dreaded "Page_Validators not
defined" error when the page posts. It continues to work fine on
other team members' machines. (We all have essentially identical
development environments, using VS.NET 1.1 and C#.) As far as we can
tell, nothing remotely related to either the page or the user control
has changed. I have gotten fresh source from source control, compared
my source with other team members, rebooted, rebuilt the solution,
restarted IIS, and pulled out all my hair. Any suggestions would be
most appreciated. I would like to avoid reinstalling IIS.

Thanks.

Dan Hurwitz

Dan Hurwitz

On further testing, it becomes clear that this is a browser issue and
not related to our code at all. I went to a QA server where we have
the project deployed for testing and ran into the "Page_Validators not
defined" error when following a specific sequence of user actions. (I
am quite certain that this worked for me the previous day on the same
version of the code.) A coworker went to the same web site from his
machine and performed the exact same sequence of actions, and did not
get any errors. When he went to the QA web server from my browser
(using his logon), he did get the error.

Apparently, something happened to my browser yesterday while
debugging. I went to the browser Options and checked the "Warn if
changing between secure and not secure mode" option under
Advanced->Security. That caused the problem to go away for a short
while on my browser, but then it returned.

The next step is to install an IE service pack on my machine and see
if that resets whatever setting is buggered and solves the problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

--Dan Hurwitz