paging error handling

solomon_13000

I inserted an error handling code for the code bellow. What happen is
the page is taking a long time to load. Upon loading it takes me to
"page not found" of microsoft internet explorer. How do I solve the
problem?

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<%
on error resume next
Dim conn, rs
Dim currentPage, rowCount, i
currentPage = Trim(Request("CurrentPage"))
if currentPage = "" then currentPage = 1 end if
set conn = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.connectionstring = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source="
& Server.MapPath("/db/upload/stellad.mdb") & ";"
conn.open
set rs = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.CursorType = 3
rs.PageSize = 1
rs.Open "SELECT Username, Password FROM Account",conn
rs.AbsolutePage = cInt(currentPage)
rowCount = 0

while not rs.EOF and rowCount < rs.PageSize
response.write rs("Username") & "<BR>"
rowCount = rowCount + 1
rs.movenext
wend

If err <> 0 then
Response.Write "<center><font class='error'>" & Err.number & ":" &
conn.Close
Set conn = nothing
On Error Goto 0
Response.End
End If
conn.close
set conn = nothing
%>

<% If CInt(currentPage) > 1 Then %>
<A HREF="paging.asp?currentPage=<%=currentPage-1%>">Prior</A>
<% End If %>

<% If CInt(currentPage) < CInt(rs.PageCount) Then %>
<A HREF="paging.asp?currentPage=<%=currentPage+1%>">Next</A>
<% End If %>

It works, however if I change the database name

valid db name: stelladb.mdb to an invalid db name: stellad.mdb

It cant handle the error. The page takes time to load, and the result
is "page not found" of microsoft internet explorer.

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

on error resume next
Dim conn, rs
Dim currentPage, rowCount, i
currentPage = Trim(Request("CurrentPage"))
if currentPage = "" then currentPage = 1 end if
set conn = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.connectionstring = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source="
& Server.MapPath("/db/upload/stellad.mdb") & ";"
conn.open

If you're trying to trap errors in connecting to the database, then put some
error handling right here! Waiting until AFTER trying to execute 40
statements, all of which depend on the success of this one, is not going to
get you too far.