Parameters not passed to/by extconf.rb?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Greg Slodkowicz, Apr 14, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    I'm trying to install the mysql-2.7 gem on Mac OS X Leopard with the
    default ruby installation (1.8.6). According to what I googled the
    following command

    sudo ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql

    should work, but it doesn't (I tried installing directly with gem and
    various combinations of options, preceding the options with -- rtc., to
    no avail). I get the following output:

    erato:mysql-2.7 jergosh$ sudo ruby extconf.rb
    --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql --with-mysql-lib=/usr/local/mysql/lib
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lm... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lz... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lsocket... no
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lnsl... no
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no

    *** extconf.rb failed ***
    necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    details. You may need configuration options.

    (...)
    --ruby=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
    --with-mysql-config
    --without-mysql-config
    --with-mysql-dir
    --with-mysql-include
    (...)

    It seems to me that the --with-mysql-dir is somehow not passed to the
    configure script. If so, how can I fix that? If not, what else should I
    try?

    TIA,
    Greg

    Greg Slodkowicz, Apr 14, 2009