Parent directory dilemma

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by berkyj@gmail.com, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    Currently building a web site in ASP/VBScript and have a number of
    include files.

    When I make the call to it via <%!-- include file="../blah/blah.inc"
    --%> I get the standard Windows 2003 Server error message about the
    parent paths thing (no probs there as I have them switched off) so I
    altered my call to the include file to use the virtual include (ie
    ....include virtual="/blah/blah.inc"... etc) and this works fine if I
    view the web site outside of my local network (ie www.domainname.com),
    however, when I view it from within my local network whilst i'm
    developing it (ie
    http://servername/rootfoldername/subfolder/pagename.asp) it doesn't
    like it. It's only when I alter the include statement to include the
    rootfoldername from the local address (which is the folder is resides
    in in WWWROOT) that it now works, however, access from the outside
    world will not...

    How can I get it so these two can live in harmony as I don't want to
    have to change all the include calls each time I work on it at
    different locations (sometimes I work on it from within the local
    network, sometimes externally)?

    Cheers muchly,

    Bj

    , Sep 5, 2006

  2. wrote on 4 Sep 2006 21:44:07 -0700:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Currently building a web site in ASP/VBScript and have a number of
    > include files.
    >
    > When I make the call to it via <%!-- include file="../blah/blah.inc"
    > --%> I get the standard Windows 2003 Server error message about the
    > parent paths thing (no probs there as I have them switched off) so I
    > altered my call to the include file to use the virtual include (ie
    > ...include virtual="/blah/blah.inc"... etc) and this works fine if I
    > view the web site outside of my local network (ie www.domainname.com),
    > however, when I view it from within my local network whilst i'm
    > developing it (ie
    > http://servername/rootfoldername/subfolder/pagename.asp) it doesn't
    > like it. It's only when I alter the include statement to include the
    > rootfoldername from the local address (which is the folder is resides
    > in in WWWROOT) that it now works, however, access from the outside
    > world will not...
    >
    > How can I get it so these two can live in harmony as I don't want to
    > have to change all the include calls each time I work on it at
    > different locations (sometimes I work on it from within the local
    > network, sometimes externally)?
    >
    > Cheers muchly,
    >
    > Bj

    I'm assuming you're using IIS on XP for development, so can only use one web
    site. Why not just change the mapping in IIS to the appropriate site that
    you're working on? So when you want work on this site, change the IIS root
    to point to /rootfoldername and then your include virtual paths will match
    those on the live server.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Sep 5, 2006

  3. Mike Brind Guest

    Daniel Crichton wrote:
    > wrote on 4 Sep 2006 21:44:07 -0700:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Currently building a web site in ASP/VBScript and have a number of
    > > include files.
    > >
    > > When I make the call to it via <%!-- include file="../blah/blah.inc"
    > > --%> I get the standard Windows 2003 Server error message about the
    > > parent paths thing (no probs there as I have them switched off) so I
    > > altered my call to the include file to use the virtual include (ie
    > > ...include virtual="/blah/blah.inc"... etc) and this works fine if I
    > > view the web site outside of my local network (ie www.domainname.com),
    > > however, when I view it from within my local network whilst i'm
    > > developing it (ie
    > > http://servername/rootfoldername/subfolder/pagename.asp) it doesn't
    > > like it. It's only when I alter the include statement to include the
    > > rootfoldername from the local address (which is the folder is resides
    > > in in WWWROOT) that it now works, however, access from the outside
    > > world will not...
    > >
    > > How can I get it so these two can live in harmony as I don't want to
    > > have to change all the include calls each time I work on it at
    > > different locations (sometimes I work on it from within the local
    > > network, sometimes externally)?
    > >
    > > Cheers muchly,
    > >
    > > Bj

    > I'm assuming you're using IIS on XP for development, so can only use one web
    > site.

    Not strictly true. This little toy allows you to create multiple sites
    under IIS on XP...

    http://jetstat.com/iisadmin/

    ....but you can only have one running at a time. Which is ordinarily
    fine for development work :)

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Sep 5, 2006

    Hi guys,

    Thanks for tips, will look into them both.

    I write and develop the code on a Windows XP box but the site live site
    and testing are one in the same and that is a Win2K3 Server as it is
    also the web server that is hosting the site. So once i've made changes
    to the code I upload it to the web server to test the functionality
    (site isn't "live" yet so no dramas about it being seen).

    Cheers
    Bj

    Mike Brind wrote:
    > Daniel Crichton wrote:
    > > wrote on 4 Sep 2006 21:44:07 -0700:
    > >
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > Currently building a web site in ASP/VBScript and have a number of
    > > > include files.
    > > >
    > > > When I make the call to it via <%!-- include file="../blah/blah.inc"
    > > > --%> I get the standard Windows 2003 Server error message about the
    > > > parent paths thing (no probs there as I have them switched off) so I
    > > > altered my call to the include file to use the virtual include (ie
    > > > ...include virtual="/blah/blah.inc"... etc) and this works fine if I
    > > > view the web site outside of my local network (ie www.domainname.com),
    > > > however, when I view it from within my local network whilst i'm
    > > > developing it (ie
    > > > http://servername/rootfoldername/subfolder/pagename.asp) it doesn't
    > > > like it. It's only when I alter the include statement to include the
    > > > rootfoldername from the local address (which is the folder is resides
    > > > in in WWWROOT) that it now works, however, access from the outside
    > > > world will not...
    > > >
    > > > How can I get it so these two can live in harmony as I don't want to
    > > > have to change all the include calls each time I work on it at
    > > > different locations (sometimes I work on it from within the local
    > > > network, sometimes externally)?
    > > >
    > > > Cheers muchly,
    > > >
    > > > Bj

    > > I'm assuming you're using IIS on XP for development, so can only use one web
    > > site.

    > Not strictly true. This little toy allows you to create multiple sites
    > under IIS on XP...
    >
    > http://jetstat.com/iisadmin/
    >
    > ...but you can only have one running at a time. Which is ordinarily
    > fine for development work :)
    >
    > --
    > Mike Brind

    , Sep 5, 2006
  5. Mike wrote on 5 Sep 2006 03:04:35 -0700:

    > Daniel Crichton wrote:
    >> wrote on 4 Sep 2006 21:44:07 -0700:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Currently building a web site in ASP/VBScript and have a number of
    >>> include files.
    >>>
    >>> When I make the call to it via <%!-- include file="../blah/blah.inc"
    >>> --%> I get the standard Windows 2003 Server error message about the
    >>> parent paths thing (no probs there as I have them switched off) so I
    >>> altered my call to the include file to use the virtual include (ie
    >>> ...include virtual="/blah/blah.inc"... etc) and this works fine if I
    >>> view the web site outside of my local network (ie www.domainname.com),
    >>> however, when I view it from within my local network whilst i'm
    >>> developing it (ie
    >>> http://servername/rootfoldername/subfolder/pagename.asp) it doesn't
    >>> like it. It's only when I alter the include statement to include the
    >>> rootfoldername from the local address (which is the folder is resides
    >>> in in WWWROOT) that it now works, however, access from the outside
    >>> world will not...
    >>>
    >>> How can I get it so these two can live in harmony as I don't want to
    >>> have to change all the include calls each time I work on it at
    >>> different locations (sometimes I work on it from within the local
    >>> network, sometimes externally)?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers muchly,
    >>>
    >>> Bj

    >> I'm assuming you're using IIS on XP for development, so can only use one
    >> web site.

    > Not strictly true. This little toy allows you to create multiple sites
    > under IIS on XP...
    >
    > http://jetstat.com/iisadmin/
    >
    > ...but you can only have one running at a time. Which is ordinarily
    > fine for development work :)

    Ah, but doesn't that tool just allow you to switch the XP IIS settings
    without all the manual work, and so doesn't actually bypass the inherent XP
    IIS restriction that only allows it to run one site at a time.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Sep 5, 2006
  6. Mike Brind Guest

    Daniel Crichton wrote:
    > Mike wrote on 5 Sep 2006 03:04:35 -0700:
    >

    > > Daniel Crichton wrote:

    > >> I'm assuming you're using IIS on XP for development, so can only use one
    > >> web site.

    > > Not strictly true. This little toy allows you to create multiple sites
    > > under IIS on XP...
    > >
    > > http://jetstat.com/iisadmin/
    > >
    > > ...but you can only have one running at a time. Which is ordinarily
    > > fine for development work :)
    > >

    > Ah, but doesn't that tool just allow you to switch the XP IIS settings
    > without all the manual work, and so doesn't actually bypass the inherent XP
    > IIS restriction that only allows it to run one site at a time.

    Isn't that the same as:

    ?

    --
    Mike Brind