    I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks!

    , Sep 4, 2007

  2. Erwin Moller Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am writing some screen strictly in PHP. I have a screen with a
    > combo box in it. I do not want to use forms, just links on the page.
    >
    > What I want to do, is when the user selects the value from the combo
    > box, and clicks on the link, I want the value in the combo box to be
    > passed as a parameter to another PHP page, and be used in that page.

    Well, you should rewrite all <a href=""> in your page on the fly if the
    value in the box is changed.
    Add the comboboxselection to the current URL.
    But you said you suck at javascript, so this maight be over your head.
    (read on)

    > I really want to avoid forms and the whole GET/POST stuff.
    >
    > Is there any way to do this? Javascript maybe? I'm terrible at
    > Javascript, so if this is the way, if you could include and example,
    > I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Maybe you could set a cookie when the combobox is changed that holds the
    value of the element choosen.
    You do not have to refresh the page or anything, just set a cookie.

    Cookies are send to PHP on each request.
    eg:

    <?php
    // cookie received for combobox?
    if (isset($_COOKIE["mycombobox"])){
    // do stuff with the value in $_COOKIE["mycombobox"]
    }
    ?>

    Maybe that helps.

    Personally, if I see a combobox (or any formelement) without a
    submitbutton, I will be confused.
    Are you sure you want this?

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    Erwin Moller, Sep 4, 2007

    On Sep 4, 11:25 am, Erwin Moller
    <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I am writing some screen strictly in PHP. I have a screen with a
    > > combo box in it. I do not want to use forms, just links on the page.

    > > What I want to do, is when the user selects the value from the combo
    > > box, and clicks on the link, I want the value in the combo box to be
    > > passed as a parameter to another PHP page, and be used in that page.

    > Well, you should rewrite all <a href=""> in your page on the fly if the
    > value in the box is changed.
    > Add the comboboxselection to the current URL.
    > But you said you suck at javascript, so this maight be over your head.
    > (read on)
    >
    > > I really want to avoid forms and the whole GET/POST stuff.

    > > Is there any way to do this? Javascript maybe? I'm terrible at
    > > Javascript, so if this is the way, if you could include and example,
    > > I'd greatly appreciate it.

    > Maybe you could set a cookie when the combobox is changed that holds the
    > value of the element choosen.
    > You do not have to refresh the page or anything, just set a cookie.
    >
    > Cookies are send to PHP on each request.
    > eg:
    >
    > <?php
    > // cookie received for combobox?
    > if (isset($_COOKIE["mycombobox"])){
    > // do stuff with the value in $_COOKIE["mycombobox"]
    > }
    > ?>
    >
    > Maybe that helps.
    >
    > Personally, if I see a combobox (or any formelement) without a
    > submitbutton, I will be confused.
    > Are you sure you want this?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Erwin Moller
    >

    > > Thanks!

    Well, the reason I do not want to use a form and submit and all is
    because I am using styles to make the limk 'pretty' and such with
    colors and all.......so, if I use a form, I have to use the boring
    standard grey buttons.

    , Sep 4, 2007

    On Sep 4, 11:36 am, "" <> wrote:
    > On Sep 4, 11:25 am, Erwin Moller
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi All,

    > > > I am writing some screen strictly in PHP. I have a screen with a
    > > > combo box in it. I do not want to use forms, just links on the page.

    > > > What I want to do, is when the user selects the value from the combo
    > > > box, and clicks on the link, I want the value in the combo box to be
    > > > passed as a parameter to another PHP page, and be used in that page.

    > > Well, you should rewrite all <a href=""> in your page on the fly if the
    > > value in the box is changed.
    > > Add the comboboxselection to the current URL.
    > > But you said you suck at javascript, so this maight be over your head.
    > > (read on)

    > > > I really want to avoid forms and the whole GET/POST stuff.

    > > > Is there any way to do this? Javascript maybe? I'm terrible at
    > > > Javascript, so if this is the way, if you could include and example,
    > > > I'd greatly appreciate it.

    > > Maybe you could set a cookie when the combobox is changed that holds the
    > > value of the element choosen.
    > > You do not have to refresh the page or anything, just set a cookie.

    > > Cookies are send to PHP on each request.
    > > eg:

    > > <?php
    > > // cookie received for combobox?
    > > if (isset($_COOKIE["mycombobox"])){
    > > // do stuff with the value in $_COOKIE["mycombobox"]
    > > }
    > > ?>

    > > Maybe that helps.

    > > Personally, if I see a combobox (or any formelement) without a
    > > submitbutton, I will be confused.
    > > Are you sure you want this?

    > > Regards,
    > > Erwin Moller

    > > > Thanks!

    > Well, the reason I do not want to use a form and submit and all is
    > because I am using styles to make the limk 'pretty' and such with
    > colors and all.......so, if I use a form, I have to use the boring
    > standard grey buttons.

    And I might add, that there are several links on this page. Each
    needing the value of the combo box. So, I was hoping I can use
    something with the $_SESSION technique.....

    , Sep 4, 2007
  5. Erwin Moller Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sep 4, 11:36 am, "" <> wrote:
    >> On Sep 4, 11:25 am, Erwin Moller
    >>

    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Well, you should rewrite all <a href=""> in your page on the fly if the
    >>> value in the box is changed.
    >>> Add the comboboxselection to the current URL.
    >>> But you said you suck at javascript, so this maight be over your head.
    >>> (read on)
    >>> Maybe you could set a cookie when the combobox is changed that holds the
    >>> value of the element choosen.
    >>> You do not have to refresh the page or anything, just set a cookie.
    >>> Cookies are send to PHP on each request.
    >>> eg:
    >>> <?php
    >>> // cookie received for combobox?
    >>> if (isset($_COOKIE["mycombobox"])){
    >>> // do stuff with the value in $_COOKIE["mycombobox"]
    >>> }
    >>> ?>
    >>> Maybe that helps.
    >>> Personally, if I see a combobox (or any formelement) without a
    >>> submitbutton, I will be confused.
    >>> Are you sure you want this?
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Erwin Moller

    >> Well, the reason I do not want to use a form and submit and all is
    >> because I am using styles to make the limk 'pretty' and such with
    >> colors and all.......so, if I use a form, I have to use the boring
    >> standard grey buttons.

    > And I might add, that there are several links on this page. Each
    > needing the value of the combo box. So, I was hoping I can use
    > something with the $_SESSION technique.....

    Yes, you could use an Ajaxoid approach to set the value of the combobox
    into a session. It is easy.

    But what happened with my cookie suggestion?
    Don't you like cookies?

    Erwin Moller

    Erwin Moller, Sep 4, 2007

    On Sep 4, 11:41 am, Erwin Moller
    <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Sep 4, 11:36 am, "" <> wrote:

    > >> Well, the reason I do not want to use a form and submit and all is
    > >> because I am using styles to make the limk 'pretty' and such with
    > >> colors and all.......so, if I use a form, I have to use the boring
    > >> standard grey buttons.

    > > And I might add, that there are several links on this page. Each
    > > needing the value of the combo box. So, I was hoping I can use
    > > something with the $_SESSION technique.....

    > Yes, you could use an Ajaxoid approach to set the value of the combobox
    > into a session. It is easy.
    >
    > But what happened with my cookie suggestion?
    > Don't you like cookies?
    >
    > Erwin Moller

    I'm not really sure how that works. Is the cookie set when the user
    clicks the link to go to the next page? How do I refer to the
    variable(s) on the next page?

    , Sep 4, 2007
  7. Erwin Moller Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sep 4, 11:41 am, Erwin Moller
    > <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> And I might add, that there are several links on this page. Each
    >>> needing the value of the combo box. So, I was hoping I can use
    >>> something with the $_SESSION technique.....

    >> Yes, you could use an Ajaxoid approach to set the value of the combobox
    >> into a session. It is easy.
    >>
    >> But what happened with my cookie suggestion?
    >> Don't you like cookies?
    >>
    >> Erwin Moller

    Hi,

    > I'm not really sure how that works. Is the cookie set when the user
    > clicks the link to go to the next page?

    No, you set the cookie immediately when the user changes the value of
    the selectbox.
    Use the onChange event handler on your combobox.
    When it changes you use the selectedIndex property of the combobox to
    find the current index, which in turn you can use to get the
    corresponding value.

    If you want to learn more, go to google and search for 'javascript
    cookie tutorial', and you'll find sites like:

    http://www.elated.com/articles/javascript-and-cookies/

    and

    http://www.echoecho.com/jscookies.htm

    How do I refer to the
    > variable(s) on the next page?

    Javascript can read the cookie value. Also on the next page.
    Check the tutorials.

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    Erwin Moller, Sep 4, 2007
  8. wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am writing some screen strictly in PHP. I have a screen with a
    > combo box in it. I do not want to use forms, just links on the page.
    >
    > What I want to do, is when the user selects the value from the combo
    > box, and clicks on the link, I want the value in the combo box to be
    > passed as a parameter to another PHP page, and be used in that page.
    >
    > I really want to avoid forms and the whole GET/POST stuff.

    Why?

    You only need declare a form, so that yu can send post and get variables
    with the program.

    You don't even need a submit button, you write minimal javascript the
    uses onclick() to set up hidden variables and send the form back ..then
    you pick the values in those up as post or get variables.

    You don't even need a form, you can use the

    <A HREF= "Mystuff.php?button5='clicked'">THIS IS BUTTON5</A>

    and have mystuff.php do

    $button5=$_GET['button5'];

    if($button5=='clicked')
    ......etc;

    > Is there any way to do this? Javascript maybe? I'm terrible at
    > Javascript, so if this is the way, if you could include and example,
    > I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Theres anoyther way with javascript that I found when trying to do it
    last night..you can chain to a page and set POST variables as you go.

    But it looked more complicated than the ones above, so I gave up on it.

    Bascally I know of three ways to chain ino a ew windows when yu clck on
    something.

    The <a> method, the <SUBMIT> button, or an onclick() method inside the
    element.

    I only know of two easy ways to carry DATA to the program. One is by the
    program name itself, and the other is post or get variables.

    Get variables dont require a <form> to be declared, you can encapsulate
    them in a URL. Post methods are more secure, but do. But thats ALL you
    have to do to use them. Declare a form and some hidden variables to put
    them in.

    Then use a minimal amount of javascript to set them

    e.g.
    my.php
    ======

    <?php
    $myvar=$_POST['myvar'];
    ?>
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    function do_myvar()
    {
    document.getelementsByName('myvar')[0].value="YES!";
    document.forms[0].submit();
    }
    </script>
    YOU got here<?if($myvar=='YES!')
    print " by clicking CLICK HERE text!";
    else print " on yer own!!";
    ?>
    <BR>
    <FORM method="POST" enctype="multipart/form-data" action="my.php">
    <input type="hidden" name="myvar" value=" <?$myvar?>">
    </FORM>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 4, 2007
  9. wrote:
    > On Sep 4, 11:25 am, Erwin Moller
    > <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> I am writing some screen strictly in PHP. I have a screen with a
    >>> combo box in it. I do not want to use forms, just links on the page.
    >>> What I want to do, is when the user selects the value from the combo
    >>> box, and clicks on the link, I want the value in the combo box to be
    >>> passed as a parameter to another PHP page, and be used in that page.

    >> Well, you should rewrite all <a href=""> in your page on the fly if the
    >> value in the box is changed.
    >> Add the comboboxselection to the current URL.
    >> But you said you suck at javascript, so this maight be over your head.
    >> (read on)
    >>
    >>> I really want to avoid forms and the whole GET/POST stuff.
    >>> Is there any way to do this? Javascript maybe? I'm terrible at
    >>> Javascript, so if this is the way, if you could include and example,
    >>> I'd greatly appreciate it.

    >> Maybe you could set a cookie when the combobox is changed that holds the
    >> value of the element choosen.
    >> You do not have to refresh the page or anything, just set a cookie.
    >>
    >> Cookies are send to PHP on each request.
    >> eg:
    >>
    >> <?php
    >> // cookie received for combobox?
    >> if (isset($_COOKIE["mycombobox"])){
    >> // do stuff with the value in $_COOKIE["mycombobox"]
    >> }
    >> ?>
    >>
    >> Maybe that helps.
    >>
    >> Personally, if I see a combobox (or any formelement) without a
    >> submitbutton, I will be confused.
    >> Are you sure you want this?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Erwin Moller
    >>

    >>> Thanks!

    > Well, the reason I do not want to use a form and submit and all is
    > because I am using styles to make the limk 'pretty' and such with
    > colors and all.......so, if I use a form, I have to use the boring
    > standard grey buttons.

    NO YOU DON"T

    see my example.

    Create your own buttons with graphics, and encapsulate them with an
    onclick..submit type slim javascript, or use URLs..

    The FORM method is needed to allow submit() to pass stuff back, or at
    least it's the easy way. You do NOT have to use the input elements tho.

    I use mixture, TEXTAREA is hard to code otherwise, TEXTS look fine,
    buttons look awful and are replaced, and FILE types are almost
    impossible to style. although I did see a neat method posted up ..you
    make them invisible and exactly superimpose a different element over the
    top. you THINK you are clicking on that, but actually you are clicking
    on a standard box underneath.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 4, 2007
  10. Erwin Moller wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Sep 4, 11:36 am, "" <> wrote:

    >>> Well, the reason I do not want to use a form and submit and all is
    >>> because I am using styles to make the limk 'pretty' and such with
    >>> colors and all.......so, if I use a form, I have to use the boring
    >>> standard grey buttons.

    >> And I might add, that there are several links on this page. Each
    >> needing the value of the combo box. So, I was hoping I can use
    >> something with the $_SESSION technique.....
    >>

    > Yes, you could use an Ajaxoid approach to set the value of the combobox
    > into a session. It is easy.
    >
    > But what happened with my cookie suggestion?
    > Don't you like cookies?

    Cookies make you fat.

    Why is your name familiar? ISTR it from many years ago in a different
    Usenet context entirely..

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 4, 2007
  11. Erwin Moller Guest

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Erwin Moller wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> And I might add, that there are several links on this page. Each
    >>> needing the value of the combo box. So, I was hoping I can use
    >>> something with the $_SESSION technique.....
    >>>

    >> Yes, you could use an Ajaxoid approach to set the value of the
    >> combobox into a session. It is easy.
    >>
    >> But what happened with my cookie suggestion?
    >> Don't you like cookies?
    >>

    > Cookies make you fat.

    Yup.
    I know that is a fact from firsthand experience. ;-)

    > Why is your name familiar? ISTR it from many years ago in a different
    > Usenet context entirely..

    My name? Your name rings a bell too, but that could very well be because
    you write in c.l.javascript or c.l.php.
    I googled in groups with: "Erwin Moller" "the Natural Philosopher", and
    I think we only replied to each other in comp.lang.php and here.
    I always posted under my real name as far as I can remember.
    Maybe you had a different nick some years ago?

    I used to be active in java newsgroups.
    Or maybe talk.origins where I used to spread my atheistic gospel. ;-)

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    Erwin Moller, Sep 5, 2007
  12. Erwin Moller wrote:
    > The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    >> Why is your name familiar? ISTR it from many years ago in a different
    >> Usenet context entirely..

    > My name? Your name rings a bell too, but that could very well be because
    > you write in c.l.javascript or c.l.php.
    > I googled in groups with: "Erwin Moller" "the Natural Philosopher", and
    > I think we only replied to each other in comp.lang.php and here.
    > I always posted under my real name as far as I can remember.
    > Maybe you had a different nick some years ago?
    >
    > I used to be active in java newsgroups.
    > Or maybe talk.origins where I used to spread my atheistic gospel. ;-)

    It was definitely in atheistic contexts, but not talk.origins.

    This usenet ID is not that old. Earlier ones got spammed out and were
    abandoned.

    I won't reveal what they were. Not publically anyway ;-)

    Anyway, hi, and enjoyed them enough to remember the name anyway..;-)

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 5, 2007