    strings.But nobody actually knew how to incorporate it into the code.

    Can any one please help me with this?

    , Feb 9, 2006

  2. santosh Guest

    wrote:
    > I Posted a question about how to incorporate changable passwords to my
    > c/c++ programs without using a file to store the password in my college
    > discussion forum and all answers included the usage of self mutating
    > strings.But nobody actually knew how to incorporate it into the code.
    >
    > Can any one please help me with this?

    Please be more specific in your question?

    Anyway, you have to use files to store the password. The trick is to
    encrypt it and then store it in file.

    santosh, Feb 9, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > I Posted a question about how to incorporate changable passwords to my
    > c/c++ programs without using a file to store the password in my
    > college discussion forum and all answers included the usage of self
    > mutating strings.But nobody actually knew how to incorporate it into
    > the code.
    >
    > Can any one please help me with this?

    What code? If you have a C question, please say so, ideally posting
    minimal example of the problem code.

    Questions about algorithms in general are best asked in
    comp.programming, and you may also want some of the crypto newsgroups,
    as well (sorry, don't know their names).

    --
    BR, Vladimir

    Innovation is hard to schedule.
    -- Dan Fylstra

    Vladimir S. Oka, Feb 9, 2006

    my question is simple.Can we change the source code at runtime?

    , Feb 9, 2006
  5. wrote:

    > my question is simple.Can we change the source code at runtime?

    Yes, but that's not what you need. Changing the source code at runtime
    has no effect until you recompile that code and run the new version of
    the program.

    Unless you are running in an interpreted environment, in which case the
    answer becomes "you'll have to check with the vendor".

    But, why would you want to "change the source code", rather than just
    keep the password stuff in a separate file in the first place?

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>

    Kenneth Brody, Feb 9, 2006
  6. said:

    > my question is simple.Can we change the source code at runtime?

    The source code may not be available at runtime. But if it is, you can
    change it, just like you can change any file - provided there are no
    insurmountable obstacles in your way (e.g. lack of permission can be an
    issue on some filesystems).

    Of course, any changes you make to the source code will not ordinarily
    affect the current run of the program. (Possible exception: a C interpreter
    that constantly revisits the source code for further instructions.)

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Feb 9, 2006