PCI Slot/Card Question

stwebmail

If you are dealing with one PCI card, is there a way (from within a
dll) to find out which PCI slot that card is inhabiting (1 or 2 or 6,
etc.)? It doesn't matter if the solution is MFC, or straight C++/C,
just has to be on a Windows machine.

Ben Pope

If you are dealing with one PCI card, is there a way (from within a
dll) to find out which PCI slot that card is inhabiting (1 or 2 or 6,
etc.)? It doesn't matter if the solution is MFC, or straight C++/C,
just has to be on a Windows machine.

Not without Windows specific calls, and that's off topic here.

Ben Pope

stwebmail

How does your post pertain to this topic at all? Victor, Did you have
a suggestion on how to do this in C++? If not, why post? My original
post states it doesn't matter if it is an MFC solution.

This is a C++ question which is on-topic. I did post this in a Windows
forum as well looking for the Windows call. Since Ben knows there are
windows call to accomplish this task, I thought he could save me a lot
of time by just telling me what they are. This way I could tear the
Windows calls apart since I would actually prefer a C++ solution.

This is a C++ forum and I have a C++ question, so stop saying its
Off-Topic. An MFC solution may be, but again, I do not require one.

So does anyone else have any C++ related suggestions? If not, please
don't post and waste mine or your time.

Ben Pope

How does your post pertain to this topic at all? Victor, Did you have
a suggestion on how to do this in C++? If not, why post? My original
post states it doesn't matter if it is an MFC solution.

I said it cannot be done without Windows specific extensions. This
group is about C++ language only.
This is a C++ question which is on-topic.

It is not on topic, it cannot be done with C++ alone.
I did post this in a Windows
forum as well looking for the Windows call.

multiposting rather than cross-posting is generally considered rude on
usenet. It wastes time in duplicated effort.
Since Ben knows there are
windows call to accomplish this task, I thought he could save me a lot
of time by just telling me what they are.

I do not know that there *are* Windows calls, I can only speculate that
there may be, and that they would be Windows specific. This is only one
problem of posting to the wrong group - simply that we do not and cannot
know the extent of every possible external library.
This way I could tear the
Windows calls apart since I would actually prefer a C++ solution.

There is no C++ solution. It is specific to the operating system, be
that Windows, Linux, DOS, or something else. C++ does not have access
to this information directly.
This is a C++ forum and I have a C++ question,

This is a C++ _language_ group, you do not have a C++ _language_
question, as I said in my first reply.
so stop saying its Off-Topic.

It is off topic.
An MFC solution may be, but again, I do not require one.

You require an OS specific solution, as I said in my first reply.
So does anyone else have any C++ related suggestions?

I think I've already mentioned that this cannot be done in C++, without
additional, OS specific libraries.
If not, please
don't post and waste mine or your time.

You do not have a C++ question, so stop posting and wasting *our* time.
I have already told you that your question is off topic. What part of
off topic do you not understand?

Ben Pope

Victor Bazarov

How does your post pertain to this topic at all?

My post pertain to this topic and to any other topic because it is related
to the _topicality_ of this newsgroup. Post on topicality are _always_
on topic.
> Victor, Did you have
a suggestion on how to do this in C++? If not, why post?

Because you seem to have a misunderstanding on where to post.
> My original
post states it doesn't matter if it is an MFC solution.

MFC is off-topic here _as_well_.
This is a C++ question which is on-topic.

You've received one answer from Ben, you've also received one answer from
me to your duplicate post. There is *no* solution for your problem in the
C++ _language_. Can you get *that* into your head? C++ _language_ does
*not* have any means to manipulate or control or query *hardware*. None.
Whatsoever. Any solution is platform- or OS-specific. And insisting on
discussing those _here_ is bad manner. OS- and platform-specific things
are _off-topic_ in comp.lang.c++.
> I did post this in a Windows
forum as well looking for the Windows call. Since Ben knows there are
windows call to accomplish this task, I thought he could save me a lot
of time by just telling me what they are.

Sure he could. Only *not here*. Windows API is off-topic here.
> This way I could tear the
Windows calls apart since I would actually prefer a C++ solution.

There is *no* C++ solution. There _cannot_ be a C++ solution.
This is a C++ forum and I have a C++ question, so stop saying its
Off-Topic.

You *don't* have a C++ question. You have a PCI question. If you do not
understand the difference, I am sorry, but it's not my problem, is it?
> An MFC solution may be, but again, I do not require one.

So does anyone else have any C++ related suggestions? If not, please
don't post and waste mine or your time.

Read the Welcome message, read the FAQ, _before_ posting. Understand the
topicality of the newsgroup and try to contain your attitude.

stwebmail

This forum should be called "comp.lang.c++ just as long as you don't
ask any questions about anything in specific".

Ben - Thanks for trying to help.
Victor - If you don't have any suggestions or ideas pertaining
*directly* to the original post or a comment, don't waste everyone's
time by posting garbage trying to make other people look dumb. It is a
complete waste of time and should never be done.

With that said, I am never going to look at this post again.

Default User

This forum should be called "comp.lang.c++ just as long as you don't
ask any questions about anything in specific".

Ben - Thanks for trying to help.
Victor - If you don't have any suggestions or ideas pertaining
*directly* to the original post or a comment, don't waste everyone's
time by posting garbage trying to make other people look dumb. It is
a complete waste of time and should never be done.

Well, that's good, because I won't ever see any of yours.

*plonk*

Brian

red floyd

This forum should be called "comp.lang.c++ just as long as you don't
ask any questions about anything in specific".
Stwebmail:

MineSweeper is written in C++. Does that mean MineSweeper questions
should be on topic here? How about Microsoft Word? Word is written in
C++. Should we answer Word questions here?

The point is that this group is for discussion of the C++ language as
defined by ISO 14882. Hardware questions, OS questions, even questions
related to "how do I use my C++ compiler" are off topic here. Please
read the FAQ.