    certain IP address for PC's to access a Web application. I assume PDA also
    has IP address so that it can be added to the list in order to grant it
    access to the app. Is that correct?
    displayname, Jun 17, 2008

  2. displayname

    Tim Slattery Guest

    displayname <> wrote:

    >Does PDA have an IP address like a PC has? Firewall access is given to a
    >certain IP address for PC's to access a Web application. I assume PDA also
    >has IP address so that it can be added to the list in order to grant it
    >access to the app. Is that correct?

    If it can communicate on the internet - or any IP network - it has to
    have an IP address.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(Shell/User)

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
    Tim Slattery, Jun 17, 2008

  3. displayname

    Evertjan. Guest

    Tim Slattery wrote on 17 jun 2008 in

    > displayname <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does PDA have an IP address like a PC has? Firewall access is given to
    >>a certain IP address for PC's to access a Web application. I assume
    >>PDA also has IP address so that it can be added to the list in order
    >>to grant it access to the app. Is that correct?

    > If it can communicate on the internet - or any IP network - it has to
    > have an IP address.

    To the outside cyberworld, it has an IP-address given by the connecting
    ISP, so different ones when connected via your Wifi-router [it is the same
    one as your desktop/laptop then], and when connected via GPRS/3g/??, or
    when via a hot spot.

    Behind the router it [usually] gets a local IP-address from that router,
    but that is not/should not be detectable from outside.

    So you could share an external IP-adress with many, many other users.

    Do not use it for serious and private identification.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jun 17, 2008