XML Package and IP Address

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dave W, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    I have been developing an online payment system using classic ASP
    which uses
    Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP to submit an XML package to a 3rd party payment
    system. The website the payment system is part of is one of many on a
    Server 2000 / IIS5.0 installation. Each web site on my server has its
    own IP address. The 3rd party payment system is hosted on another
    server not under my control.

    The issue I have is that when the XML package is submitted, the 3rd
    party system is not registering the correct IP addresss for the
    originating request from the website, it is registering the 'Core' or
    first IP address on the server. The originating IP address is part of
    their authentication model and so the XML submission is failing
    because the wrong IP address is being passed through.

    Any ideas why the wrong IP address is being passed?

    Any pointers on what to do next as far as testing goes?

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Dave W, Jul 18, 2007

  2. "Dave W" <> wrote in message
    > I have been developing an online payment system using classic ASP
    > which uses
    > Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP to submit an XML package to a 3rd party payment
    > system. The website the payment system is part of is one of many on a
    > Server 2000 / IIS5.0 installation. Each web site on my server has its
    > own IP address. The 3rd party payment system is hosted on another
    > server not under my control.
    >
    > The issue I have is that when the XML package is submitted, the 3rd
    > party system is not registering the correct IP addresss for the
    > originating request from the website, it is registering the 'Core' or
    > first IP address on the server. The originating IP address is part of
    > their authentication model and so the XML submission is failing
    > because the wrong IP address is being passed through.
    >
    > Any ideas why the wrong IP address is being passed?
    >
    > Any pointers on what to do next as far as testing goes?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    I don't think there is much you can do about that. The IP address isn't
    wrong. The TCP/IP stack is completely ignorant of any assignment of IP
    address to websites that is configured in IIS.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Jul 19, 2007

  3. Dave W

    Dave Guest

    I don't know if you're ISP supports it, but it is possible to query a
    socket for the IP address used in the connection. Alternatively, you
    could grab the outgoing IP address from a site like IPCHICKEN.COM or
    something to stick in your XML data.

    In article <>,
    says...

    Dave, Jul 26, 2007